on Keeping Perl one accent
Author Message
 on Keeping Perl one accent

Larry,
I support your idea of one Perl. I wish you keep your
source yourself and extend Perl yourself while listening
the requests from people, as you do now. I am sure there
must be pressures for distributing sources, but as soon
as businessmen tyy to find edges over other competiters
with their own Perl, Perl will digress from its own lovely
personality. Perl is great as it is natural, easy and makes feel
it is for common people. My impression is it is a the first language
'for the people, of the people and by one keeper'

Jong.

Rm308,CPE,MRC Centre Cambridge UK,FAX:441223402140

Fri, 18 Jul 1997 01:43:49 GMT
 on Keeping Perl one accent
: Larry,
: I support your idea of one Perl. I wish you keep your
: source yourself and extend Perl yourself while listening
: the requests from people, as you do now. I am sure there
: must be pressures for distributing sources, but as soon
: as businessmen tyy to find edges over other competiters
: with their own Perl, Perl will digress from its own lovely
: personality. Perl is great as it is natural, easy and makes feel
: it is for common people. My impression is it is a the first language
: 'for the people, of the people and by one keeper'

I appreciate your vote of confidence.  But you seem to be under a
slight misapprehension about the safety of the Perl sources.  There's
nothing secret about the Perl sources--I've been distributing them from
the beginning.  The sources are protected by copyright, and the
Artistic License spells out my intentions pretty well with regard to
how people may modify them and still have a "Standard Version".

Another reason you shouldn't worry about those sneaky businessmen is
that in Perl 5 I've given them an approved way to add extension modules
to the language without changing the language itself.  So there's much
less pressure to fiddle with the innards of Perl itself.

For a long time, I kept a very tight lid on Perl divergence.  But I
realized that eventually this would tear Perl apart as the problem
space outgrew the solution space, and people hacked up Perl to suit
their own needs.  When this happens, you end up with a lot of
non-portable Perl scripts, where the non-portability is scattered
throughout the code.  Rather than continuing on this course, I chose to
allow controlled divergence, with an interface that states right up at
the front of the script which extensions are needed.  So if you see
a script that says

    use MicroSquishKludges;

and you don't happen to have the MicroSquishKludges module, you know
it immediately, because the script refuse to run at all, rather than
failing mysteriously later.  And you have a name for the extension,
and hopefully some way of acquiring the extension, legally or illegally.

But most importantly, you can use divergent extensions in the same
script as long as they don't interfere with each other.  Contrast this
to the world of REXX, where each implementation of REXX has its own
baubles and foibles, and you have to pick beforehand which universe
you're going to live in.  No thanks.

So Perl will not be restricted to one "accent".  Perl will be like a
character actor who can switch accents as necessary to get the job
done--whatever the script calls for.

Larry

Mon, 21 Jul 1997 03:16:55 GMT
 on Keeping Perl one accent
>For a long time, I kept a very tight lid on Perl divergence.  But I
>realized that eventually this would tear Perl apart as the problem
>space outgrew the solution space, and people hacked up Perl to suit
>their own needs.  When this happens, you end up with a lot of
>non-portable Perl scripts, where the non-portability is scattered
>throughout the code.  Rather than continuing on this course, I chose to
>allow controlled divergence, with an interface that states right up at
>the front of the script which extensions are needed.  So if you see
>a script that says

>    use MicroSquishKludges;

     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote:

>and you don't happen to have the MicroSquishKludges module, you know
>it immediately, because the script refuse to run at all, rather than
>failing mysteriously later.  And you have a name for the extension,
>and hopefully some way of acquiring the extension, legally or illegally.

               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 hmm, it might be nice if when require/import can't find
 MicroSquishKludges.pm on the local filesystem,
 they check to see if the net is available and if Socket.pm is locally available,
 and if so, they try to get MicroSquishKludges.pm from
 a 'quasi'-standard list of perlstuff servers ( with an intervening
 message: 'surfing the net for MicroSquishKludges.pm', of course ).

Tue, 22 Jul 1997 06:34:03 GMT
 on Keeping Perl one accent

Quote:

>>    use MicroSquishKludges;
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>and you don't happen to have the MicroSquishKludges module, you know
>>it immediately, because the script refuse to run at all, rather than
>>failing mysteriously later.  And you have a name for the extension,
>>and hopefully some way of acquiring the extension, legally or illegally.
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> hmm, it might be nice if when require/import can't find
> MicroSquishKludges.pm on the local filesystem,
> they check to see if the net is available and if Socket.pm is locally available,
> and if so, they try to get MicroSquishKludges.pm from
> a 'quasi'-standard list of perlstuff servers ( with an intervening
> message: 'surfing the net for MicroSquishKludges.pm', of course ).

Hmmm, if a failed require() could trigger an AUTOLOAD . . .

Dean

Thu, 24 Jul 1997 00:30:28 GMT

1. translating accented characters to non-accented chars

2. Perl: Translating LaTeX accented characters to/from ISO8859 (Windows)

3. Perl XML Parser / Twig and Unicode Encoding of Accents

4. Again accent in Perl...

5. accent in perl...

6. Perl routine to translate accented characters to HTML entities

7. -- Can One Perl Script call another one?

8. substituting english alphabets with english and accented characters

9. Accents

10. Reading French-Accented Data

11. \b doesn't see accented characters

12. substituting english alphabets with english and accented characters