Archiving (old) email: Software solutions?
Author Message
 Archiving (old) email: Software solutions?

: Hi All,

: I am planning to burn all my old email (currently still stored in
: many pine folders onmy hard disk) onto CDROM to free up the diskspace
: and preserve the data.

Ok, I had some more thoughts about this and come up with this possible solution:

1. Run all my collected email folders through
        ... | formail -Y -D <large number> idcache -s cat > YYYY/MM/DD/message-ID

   to weed out duplicates that may have accumulated in different folders.

   The above will likely be done in a directory structure
   I'm still trying to figure out how to extract the M-ID from one mail
   in the same step, so that I can pass it to the command called by -s.

2. write some perl script that reads all emails and creates an index
   listing each message by
        - From:/To:/Subject:/references: etc.

3. Use a perl script to format all the mails into HTML, so that each has a link
   to preceding mails and replies (need ti build something like a dejanews
   tree structure...

4. Build a text-index of all mails with glimpse (or other similar tool)

5. generate all the HTML for the system

Questions:
        1. Are there any existing perl modules that can assist me in
        formatting the emails to HTML? I should be able to create references
        to other simiarly stored/formatted messages, and to store
        non-ascii attachments as separate files, with proper links.

        2. Are there any good indexing modules in perl?

I had a look at CPAN, but could not offhand find anything that looks like
the ticket.

TIA
Mathias

--

2 Stirling Rd     |      1A 8B FC D4 93 F1 9A FC BD 98 A3 1A 0E 73 01 65
S'pore 148943     | Disclaimer: I speak only for myself

Fri, 20 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. perl archive /software

2. Solaris Software Package Archive

3. Perl script to purge old email

4. cleaning up old email address

5. *simple* form-to-email solution!

6. compare and contrast email solutions?

7. Simple Email @ Parsing Solution?

8. Bulk email solution needed that works with Linux, Perl

9. Web-based email solutions

10. *simple* form-to-email solution!

11. Archiving emails for later Web browsing

12. Crawling Web-based Email Archives??