database searching in perl4- ....
Author Message
 database searching in perl4- ....

 hi. I'm having trouble searching my database in perl. basically what I've
got is an indexed database, which I want to search with variables I
get from somewhere else.

 so, my database may be

computer:1:4:7:6
screen:4:7:6:1
keyboard:6:4:7:1
desk:1:7:6:4

 the field names are hardware:owners:service_month_code:location_code:services

 when I look for say anything which has been serviced once, I wanna return
screen and keyboard, where a search (/1/) would return all of them. I'm
not fantastic at perl (as you can guess as I know this is a pretty simple
problem) but I'm having real trouble.

 the real database has 37 fields, occurs on one line, and the whole record
is to be returned. It doesnt have to keep searching the record for more matching
variables when it finds one in a record, and if the variable is "^" then it
reads that as an empty variable. It has to count the number of hits and
stop when it hits a vertain number which is passed to it as $index{'maxhits'}.

 Any help would be appreciated.

Max

Sat, 19 Jul 1997 08:27:58 GMT

1. Searching @ARGV in Perl4?

2. Search with AND in perl4

3. Profiler for Perl4 (yup. Perl4)

4. Building perl4 or perl4 on Unixware 1.1.3

5. searching on a flat database

6. MSAccess database search from form??

7. Search text database, return line number containing a match

8. Flatfile Database Search - Displaying Results Query

9. database search

10. Perl Database search with html output

11. problems with full text search in joined database--- newbie question

12. Perl searching a huge mySQL database...