Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?
Author Message
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

If there's going to be a new Camel Book for the new Perl, will it ever
be available as a hardback?  Of all the books on my shelf the Camel
Book is the most heavily used (with the possible exception of
Peopleware which is rarely on the shelf :-) and although it's only 18
months old it's showing quite a few signs of wear and tear.  How many
people out there would be interested in shelling out extra money for a
more durable book?

Just wondering

Mike
--
The "usual disclaimers" apply.    | ... many were weak and confused, succumbing
Mike Stok                         | to drink or {*filter*} whenever possible ...

Meiko tel: (617) 890 7676         |                          Hunter S. Thompson

Thu, 16 Feb 1995 00:21:51 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?
   If there's going to be a new Camel Book for the new Perl, will it ever
   be available as a hardback?  Of all the books on my shelf the Camel
   Book is the most heavily used (with the possible exception of
   Peopleware which is rarely on the shelf :-) and although it's only 18
   months old it's showing quite a few signs of wear and tear.  How many
   people out there would be interested in shelling out extra money for a
   more durable book?

We are making plans to update the Camel book (and the new tutorial book)
as necessary to keep them up to date with the changes in Perl (including
the upcoming 5.0 release).

Your request for a hardcopy book will be forwarded to my contact at the
publishers.

Of course, if your book wears out in 18 months, maybe that's the
point; it's time to get a new book with the new information in it! :-)

Maybe we should sell a subscription service? :-)

--
Randal L. Schwartz / Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095

cute quote: "Welcome to Portland, Oregon -- home of the California Raisins!"

Fri, 17 Feb 1995 00:23:04 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?
The Perl book seems to stretch the O'Reilly binding process to its
limits.  I think it might just be too thick for that binding
technique.  I've seen several Perl books whose bindings seemed to give
out after only a year or so, so that the books end up with lots of
pages falling out.  They're heavily used as references; I think the
book really needs a better binding, hardcover or otherwise.

Fri, 17 Feb 1995 12:30:35 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

It seams reasonable that a hardcopy wouldn't be worth it, since
a paperback would last as long as the version of perl it's for.

But, It would last longer, and be easier to use, if it had some
kind of spiral bound, so us newbies wouldn't have to break down
the binding for the book to stay open while we canabalize an
example from it.

JUST my own personal $.02
---

Michigan State University                      ph:  (517) 353-3027
Specialized Computing Support Services              10am - 5pm EST

Fri, 17 Feb 1995 22:01:29 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

   But, It would last longer, and be easier to use, if it had some
   kind of spiral bound, so us newbies wouldn't have to break down
   the binding for the book to stay open while we canabalize an
   example from it.

I believe that a few of the copies that I autographed at the local
store recently had "new stay-flat binding!" emblazened across the
spine.  I'll check to see that this is the case.  If it is, your
request has *already* been handled.  How's that for service?

print "Just another Perl [book] hacker,"
--
Randal L. Schwartz / Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095

cute quote: "Welcome to Portland, Oregon -- home of the California Raisins!"

Sat, 18 Feb 1995 00:59:09 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Quote:
>If there's going to be a new Camel Book for the new Perl, will it ever
>be available as a hardback?  Of all the books on my shelf the Camel
>Book is the most heavily used (with the possible exception of
>Peopleware which is rarely on the shelf :-) and although it's only 18
>months old it's showing quite a few signs of wear and tear.  How many
>people out there would be interested in shelling out extra money for a
>more durable book?

Actually, the Perl book on CD-ROM would be really handy!!!  I would be willing
to pay bucks for all the 'animal' O'Reilly books on a CD-ROM.

Also, is there going to be a patchlevel 35 version of the 'Perl Reference
Guide' out soon?  (Talk about something I keep wearing out...)
--
     ____/     /     /     __  /    _  _/    ____/
    /         /     /     /   /      /     /          Chris Sherman

Sat, 18 Feb 1995 02:49:26 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

 Mike> If there's going to be a new Camel Book for the new Perl, will it
 Mike> ever be available as a hardback?  Of all the books on my shelf
 Mike> the Camel Book is the most heavily used (with the possible
 Mike> exception of Peopleware which is rarely on the shelf :-) and
 Mike> although it's only 18 months old it's showing quite a few signs
 Mike> of wear and tear.  How many people out there would be interested
 Mike> in shelling out extra money for a more durable book?

One thing I do to keep my "heavily-used" books from falling apart is
cover them in clear-contact paper (it's the ex-Catholic schoolgirl in
me! ;-). You can get it, in rolls, at most stores. If you're really
afraid, you can strengthen the covers with stiff cardboard
(contact-paper'ing it in, of course :-) which gives it an
almost-hardback feel.

All three of my camels (yeah, *three* -- two of edition 1 and one of
edition 3) are covered. I don't feel so badly tossing them to my fiance
accross EFF's tech area this way.....

--Helen
--

Systems and Networks Administration     Flames to:

Sat, 18 Feb 1995 04:23:46 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Quote:
>If there's going to be a new Camel Book for the new Perl, will it ever
>be available as a hardback?  [...]

  On a semi-related note, one of the things that most bugs me about the
Camel Book is it's references to things in "Chapter n", while the pages
don't have chapter numbers on them!  This means I have to go back to
the table of contents to see where that chapter is (yeah, so maybe it's
my fault for not memorizing 90% of the book yet.. :-).  In future
versions, consider either putting the Chapter number somewhere on the
page, or use the texinfo style of "Chapter 4, page 151" which would save
non-JAPHers lots of time.
  Thanks,
--
Dana Jacobsen                              print "A Unique Perl Hacker";

Sat, 18 Feb 1995 05:31:32 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Quote:
>The Perl book seems to stretch the O'Reilly binding process to its
>limits.  I think it might just be too thick for that binding
>technique.  I've seen several Perl books whose bindings seemed to give
>out after only a year or so, so that the books end up with lots of
>pages falling out.  They're heavily used as references; I think the
>book really needs a better binding, hardcover or otherwise.

I'll second that. My copy started losing pages withing two days of opening
it. Maybe O'Reilly need to work on their QA a bit?

                                                                Michi.
--
      -m------- Michael Henning                 +61 75 950255
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology              +61 75 722475 FAX

-------mmmmmmm- Gold Coast, Q 4229, AUSTRALIA   uunet!munnari!ptcburp.oz!michi

Sat, 18 Feb 1995 07:47:59 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?
| If there's going to be a new Camel Book for the new Perl, will it ever
| be available as a hardback?  Of all the books on my shelf the Camel
| Book is the most heavily used (with the possible exception of
| Peopleware which is rarely on the shelf :-) and although it's only 18
| months old it's showing quite a few signs of wear and tear.  How many
| people out there would be interested in shelling out extra money for a
| more durable book?

| Just wondering

Do you have a copy from the first printing?  There was a problem with
pages falling out.  I wrote to the publisher and they sent me a new
copy, which seems much more durable.  (I don't think they'll kill me
for posting this--they seem to be genuinely concerned that buyers are
happy with their books.)  I agree with Randall (or is it Randal?) that
soft cover is plenty good for *any* computer book--systems don't stay
around long enough to wear out a hard back.

- --Mike

Sat, 18 Feb 1995 09:32:09 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Quote:

>Subject: Re: Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?
>Date: 31 Aug 92 04:30:35 GMT
>The Perl book seems to stretch the O'Reilly binding process to its
>limits.  I think it might just be too thick for that binding
>technique.  I've seen several Perl books whose bindings seemed to give
>out after only a year or so, so that the books end up with lots of
>pages falling out.  They're heavily used as references; I think the
>book really needs a better binding, hardcover or otherwise.

Interesting idea.  If the camel book is too thick for this binding,
what about some of the X books?  The PEX book came out about 4-5
months ago and is 2-1/2 times as thick as the 'camel'.  Maybe the
market researchers should contact PEX book buyers and see how the
binding is holding up

Sat, 18 Feb 1995 05:02:06 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Quote:

> Also, is there going to be a patchlevel 35 version of the 'Perl Reference
> Guide' out soon?  (Talk about something I keep wearing out...)

Although the differences are minor, I intent to release a 4.035
version of the reference guide within a few weeks. Stay tuned.
BTW: my reference guide never wears out. I usually give it away long
before that.

        Johan
--

Multihouse Automatisering bv                   uucp:..!{uunet,sun4nl}!mh.nl!jv
Doesburgweg 7, 2803 PL Gouda, The Netherlands  phone/fax: +31 1820 62911/62500

Sat, 18 Feb 1995 17:59:28 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Quote:
>Interesting idea.  If the camel book is too thick for this binding,
>what about some of the X books?  The PEX book came out about 4-5
>months ago and is 2-1/2 times as thick as the 'camel'.  Maybe the
>market researchers should contact PEX book buyers and see how the
>binding is holding up

The PEX book *is* hardback.
--

      "The dyslexic porgramer"                  - Kevin Lockwood
We all agree on the necessity of compromise.  We just can't agree on

Sat, 18 Feb 1995 20:46:35 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Speaking of the Camel, I think I have a bug fix for one of
the sample programs - where do I send the corrections?

Steve Lidie
Lehigh University Computing Center

Sat, 18 Feb 1995 20:49:11 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?
| Actually, the Perl book on CD-ROM would be really handy!!!  I would be willing
| to pay bucks for all the 'animal' O'Reilly books on a CD-ROM.

Is there some sort of standardized freely available document browser that
is up to the task?  Something like DEC's Bookreader?

--
---
 Robert Withrow, R.W. Withrow Associates, Swampscott MA 01907 USA

Sun, 19 Feb 1995 03:06:49 GMT

 [ 24 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Wanted Camel Book for Perl4

2. How to glob xxx*xx.xxx ?

3. Camel book reference card online?

4. Camel book source code available online somewhere?

5. PROBLEM: From Camel Book

6. The Camel Book

7. FAQ: Llama or the Camel Book?

8. I got a Camel Book!!!

9. "The Camel Book"

10. socket problem with server/client from Perl Camel book on Sun Solaris 2.5.1 box

11. Camel book?

12. Camel book for 5.0 and DOS.