Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?
Author Message
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Quote:

>Actually, the Perl book on CD-ROM would be really handy!!!  I would be willing
>to pay bucks for all the 'animal' O'Reilly books on a CD-ROM.

O'Reilly released a Hypercard version of "UNIX in a Nutshell" about four or
five years ago. I used it quite a bit and found it useful and easy to use.
I don't have a Mac to use anymore and would sure like to see both "UNIX in
a Nutshell" and some form of a Perl reference for the Microsoft Windows
environment using the Windows Help engine (or whatever else O'Reilly would
prefer to use).
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii, Psychology Department

Mon, 20 Feb 1995 09:46:01 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Quote:

>Do you have a copy from the first printing?  There was a problem with
>pages falling out.  I wrote to the publisher and they sent me a new
>copy, which seems much more durable.  (I don't think they'll kill me
>for posting this--they seem to be genuinely concerned that buyers are
>happy with their books.)  I agree with Randall (or is it Randal?) that
>soft cover is plenty good for *any* computer book--systems don't stay
>around long enough to wear out a hard back.

>- --Mike

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree.  I bought copy of K&R 2 a few
years ago in hardback around the same time my friend bought the
softcover version.  Mine is still in good condition, while his is
falling apart.  If a fortran has lasted until now, I think my book
will fall apart before ANSI C does.

Doron

Tue, 21 Feb 1995 14:59:32 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Quote:
>I would have to wholeheartedly disagree.  I bought copy of K&R 2 a few
>years ago in hardback around the same time my friend bought the
>softcover version.  Mine is still in good condition, while his is
>falling apart.  If a Fortran has lasted until now, I think my book
>will fall apart before ANSI C does.

I think this says more about how your friend uses books.  I have a
hoary copy of K&R 1 in softcover that is a number of years old, and
while it is obviously well-used, it is nowhere near falling apart.
--

        People say that I'm out of touch with reality.  That I'm insane.
    Sometimes I forget things.  Who I am.  Where I am.  Unimportant things.

Tue, 21 Feb 1995 22:02:37 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

        >Actually, the Perl book on CD-ROM would be really handy!!!  I
        >would be willing to pay bucks for all the 'animal' O'Reilly
        >books on a CD-ROM.

Todd> O'Reilly released a Hypercard version of "UNIX in a Nutshell"
Todd> about four or five years ago. I used it quite a bit and found it
Todd> useful and easy to use. I don't have a Mac to use anymore and
Todd> would sure like to see both "UNIX in a Nutshell" and some form
Todd> of a Perl reference for the Microsoft Windows environment using
Todd> the Windows Help engine (or whatever else O'Reilly would prefer
Todd> to use).

I'd like to see them just release it as postscript(tm) on a CDROM.
That way it's machine independant, and I think most people can get at
a PostScript(tm) previewer, or just print it out (they'd have to write
up the license such that people were allowed to print it out for their
own use, of course.

                        -AJS

--
--------
Disclaimer: I am solely responsible for the content of this message.

Wed, 22 Feb 1995 02:21:55 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Quote:

>    >Actually, the Perl book on CD-ROM would be really handy!!!  I
>Todd> O'Reilly released a Hypercard version of "UNIX in a Nutshell"
>Todd> about four or five years ago. I used it quite a bit and found it
>Todd> useful and easy to use. .......
>I'd like to see them just release it as PostScript(tm) on a CDROM.
>That way it's machine independant, and I think most people can get at
>a PostScript(tm) previewer, or just print it out (they'd have to write
>up the license such that people were allowed to print it out for their
>own use, of course.

Well, it'd look nice on your screen, but the whole point of something
like the perl book on CD would be so that you could use grep, awk, or
some such utility (only joking here guys ;-) ) to search for
the types of things you are interested in. So you could find the
paragraph which describes the retab function by searching for
paragraphs with indent and tab.

I'd prefer raw text.  Then when you find something your interested in
you could cut it out and paste into your own code (I know that you can
get all the examples from the net, but it's not the same - browsing
the text on-line means you can see the code in context).

Pete
--
Pete Phillips, Surgical Materials Testing Lab, Bridgend, S. Wales.

"SCIENCE: A way of finding things out and then making them work.
Science explains what is happening around us the whole time.
So does RELIGION, but science is better because it comes up with
more understand able excuses when its wrong. There is a lot more
science than you think."

Fri, 24 Feb 1995 20:31:32 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Quote:

>If there's going to be a new Camel Book for the new Perl, will it ever
>be available as a hardback?  Of all the books on my shelf the Camel
>Book is the most heavily used (with the possible exception of
>Peopleware which is rarely on the shelf :-) and although it's only 18
>months old it's showing quite a few signs of wear and tear.  How many
>people out there would be interested in shelling out extra money for a
>more durable book?

Yeah - mine started losing pages after 2 weeks.  I called them, and
the new book will have a different binding.  Yea!

David

--
                                                                David J Wells
"Cooking hotdogs with napalm"                                 w310/206-3960

Sun, 26 Feb 1995 03:02:08 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Quote:
> Yeah - mine started losing pages after 2 weeks.  I called them, and
> the new book will have a different binding.  Yea!

Yup, the latest printing has a paperback 'lay-flat' binding.. it's
really great.  I just wish that the new addition of MH-xmh had it too! :)

Bryan

Mon, 27 Feb 1995 03:24:20 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Quote:

>> Yeah - mine started losing pages after 2 weeks.  I called them, and
>> the new book will have a different binding.  Yea!

> Yup, the latest printing has a paperback 'lay-flat' binding.. it's
> really great.  I just wish that the new addition of MH-xmh had it too! :)

This different lay-flat binding is called RepKover.  It uses a more
durable and flexible glue process than perfect binding and should address
all the needs our customers have shared with us over the past few years.

We're implementing it on the bulk of our Nutshell books.
Programming perl is now available that way.
Unfortunately there is a "bulk-size" limit for this binding (1 1/8"
maximum and 1/4" minimum).  Mh and xmh exceeds the maximum, so we've
had to remain with perfect binding for that.

I've gotten no feedback yet on the new binding...which I take as good
news...but our printer and I would be very interested to know how
it stands up in the real world.

Sue Willing
Print Coordinator
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.

--
Sue Willing: (617) 354-5800
Printing Coordinator

Tue, 28 Feb 1995 23:24:54 GMT
 Camel Book for 5.xxx hardback?

Quote:
> Well, it'd look nice on your screen, but the whole point of something
> like the perl book on CD would be so that you could use grep, awk, or
> some such utility (only joking here guys ;-) ) to search for
> the types of things you are interested in. So you could find the

        And naturally, there'd be a perl script on the CD to convert
PostScript to raw text :-)

                                Daniel
--
     Daniel Smith, Autodesk, Sausalito, California, (415) 332-2344 x 2580
              Disclaimer: written by a highly caffeinated mammal

Sat, 04 Mar 1995 04:52:46 GMT

 [ 24 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]