capacity of perl array
Author Message
 capacity of perl array

How large a perl array could be?
I have a huge text file, whic I want to split it into words, each word
stored as an element of a perl array.
If the file is too large, any alternative ways to do this?
Thanks

Wed, 26 Jun 1996 05:37:58 GMT
 capacity of perl array

Quote:

>How large a perl array could be?
>I have a huge text file, whic I want to split it into words, each word
>stored as an element of a perl array.
>If the file is too large, any alternative ways to do this?
>Thanks

Quite large.  Following Larry Wall's philosophy of no-built-in limits,
perl will grab as much memory as your system/OS will provide.  However,
if you are talking about *unique* words in a document, I shouldn't worry,
as statistically even very large text files don't have *that* many unique
words, especially if you ignore case.

--ratner

Thu, 27 Jun 1996 12:14:45 GMT

1. Capacity Planning with NT Perl

2. looking for capacity planning resources: perl/oracle

3. Increasing capacity of text canvas

4. URGENT: Hash in Hash, Array in Array, Array in Hash, Hash in Array

5. Perl 5.001e subroutine returns length of array instead of array

6. are perl-arrays real arrays

7. array of arrays of arrays

8. Separating array into alphabetical array of arrays

9. Efficiency/New Perl Book: return @array vs \@array

10. Efficiency/New Perl Book: return @array vs \@array?

11. Arrays of associative arrays in perl 4.0

12. Perl 5 arrays of arrays, length of etc..