need libgd.a for GD in Perl
Author Message
 need libgd.a for GD in Perl

 >>I think the subject pretty much sums it up.
 >
 >
 > I think not.

I had hoped so, but...

 > But, anyway, this library needs to compiled explicitely for your
 > platform. The best way to do that (it seems to me you're using some form
 > of Unix), is to compile it from the sources.

..."libgd.a" would imply by its file suffix, ".a", that it is a static library.
  If its static, and not shared (e.g.- linked to other libraries, generally
having a file suffix of ".o" or ".dll") the supporting libraries it needs would
normally have been compiled into the library --at least this is what I
understand, so please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a gcc grand master guru guy.

So if it is true that the library itself is named "libgd.a" it's quite likely
were not dealing with a MS platform; since 'ActiveState' was never mentioned
this would seem to be another point supporting such logic.  Now MS would quite
likely be the furthest from the one which is likely used by the requesting
developer.

And yet the request seems even clearer still when one notes that the requesting
developer, having asked for "libgd.a" by name+indicative_suffix, seems to have
done a bit of research or the request would not have been so knowledgably
explicit as to the linktype denoted.  Now let us ask ourselves, could such a
request be made for the compiled library itself had this poor fellow not tried
to do it already, maybe even many times?

Moreover, if it is indeed true that we can easily deduce that the platform used
by said developer is not Win32, and that the item requested itself greatly
denotes a platform which is most likely of a *nix flavor, the relevance to
whether or not libgd.a is linked to other local libraries possibly not compiled
into it is greatly diminished as a determining factor.  To be more specific, let
it be feasibly concluded that the request, being knowledgeable; researched; and
indicative of *nix platform, the issue of platform-specific incompatibility
seems much less of a problem.

Now it would seem that the only remaining questions we have are, how will any
possible links to other libraries be resolved, and what about compiler issues.
Of the first question, most likely the answer would be 'yes' if the default
directory structure of similar *nixes is the same, and if not, such links might
easily be resolved by simply changing up some directory locations and/or copying
a few files.

And what of the compiler now?  Well, that is largely my problem no?  I should
hope that the information about any linking and what platform/compiler issues
concerning the library donation would be mentioned up front.  Since the issue
most likely to give me headaches is that of the compiler, well I'll just compile
anything I need for libgd.a with the same one, or another one compatible with it.

Really, just give me the lib, the details, and I'll worry about the rest.
Heaven help me, I've been trying to do this for a month, and no matter if all
that bull $hit mumbo jumbo up there matters or not, I am so desperate.  I'm not
asking anymore considering the multiple widely broadcast pleas for help with GD
over the last several weeks have brought forth nothing, I'm now begging.

Please someone have some compassion on me, if not to just shut me up, and send
me the library.  I'll donate code in return, or perhaps some of my internal
organs.  Oh please, help me out!

 > Here's the home page:
 >
 >   < http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

Yes, and here are the library sources below, I've been there a good many times
lately. :o(
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

--

   -Tommy Butler
    http://www.*-*-*.com/

Visit the open source Perl archives at Atrixnet.
    http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:46:02 GMT
 need libgd.a for GD in Perl

Quote:

>And yet the request seems even clearer still when one notes that the requesting
>developer, having asked for "libgd.a" by name+indicative_suffix, seems to have
>done a bit of research or the request would not have been so knowledgably
>explicit as to the linktype denoted.  Now let us ask ourselves, could such a
>request be made for the compiled library itself had this poor fellow not tried
>to do it already, maybe even many times?

The static libraries for, say, Linux on Intel, or Solaris on Sparc,
would be completely incompatible. Yet, i'd think they'd share the mname.
You still don't mention all details of your platform.

Quote:
>Now it would seem that the only remaining questions we have are, how will any
>possible links to other libraries be resolved, and what about compiler issues.

No, not all computers run on the same CPU. Or OS.

Quote:
>Yes, and here are the library sources below, I've been there a good many times
>lately. :o(
><http://www.boutell.com/gd/http/gd-1.8.4.tar.gz>
><http://www.boutell.com/gd/http/gd-2.0.1.tar.gz>

And if you check the readme of the latter, you can see:

    * The Makefile now offers the correct syntax for optionally creating
      a static library.

There you have it. All you have to do is run make with the proper
command line switch. So it must be in the "Makefile". It is: near the
bottom. It looks to me that this should work:

        make libgd.a

--
        Bart.

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 05:27:48 GMT
 need libgd.a for GD in Perl
On Sat, 06 Apr 2002 13:46:02 -0800, Tommy

Quote:

>Really, just give me the lib, the details, and I'll worry about the rest.
>Heaven help me, I've been trying to do this for a month, and no matter
>if all that bull $hit mumbo jumbo up there matters or not, I am so
>desperate.  I'm not  asking anymore considering the multiple widely
>broadcast pleas for help with GD over the last several weeks have
>brought forth nothing, I'm now begging.

If you are wondering why no one answers your questions,
this excellent article by our very own Mark Jason Dominus
might help in your search for salvation:

http://perl.plover.com/Questions.html

HTH HAND
--
Regards, Helgi Briem
helgi AT decode DOT is

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:02:40 GMT

1. need libgd.a for GD in Perl

2. GD and libgd for WIN32 Perl

3. GD and libgd

4. Problems with GD.pm and libgd?

5. GD and libgd 1.8.4

6. GD.pm 1.32 / libgd 1.8.3 problem

7. libgd: TTF: libgd was not built with TrueType font support

8. need libgd.a

9. Need a binary of libgd compiled with support for TTF fonts

10. Need a binary of libgd compiled with support for TTF fonts

11. SARge: Perl with GD module needed

12. SARge: Perl with GD module needed