Perl training in Bay Area?
Author Message
 Perl training in Bay Area?

  Who offers classes in Perl, particularly in the
San Francisco Bay Area?

Posting is fine, too -- we'll be watching!

Wed, 15 Nov 1995 02:14:05 GMT
 Perl training in Bay Area?

:  Who offers classes in Perl, particularly in the
:San Francisco Bay Area?

I offer courses in beginning and advanced Perl pretty much wherever one
needs to go.  I believe that Randal might also have something, but can't
swear to it.  Send mail if anyone's interested in course descriptions, etc.

--tom

Thu, 16 Nov 1995 08:55:34 GMT
 Perl training in Bay Area?

] Who offers classes in Perl, particularly in the San Francisco Bay
] Area?

From the UC Santa Cruz Extension, Summer 1993 UC Extension Course
Catalog, which arrived in the mail this week:

    P e r l   P r o g r a m m i n g

    X423.2 Computer & Information Sciences (1)

    This intensive, hands-on course will introduce users, programmers,
    and system administrators to the popular new interpreted language
    called Perl, the Practical Extraction and Report Language. Although
    Perl is hailed as the system administrator's language, this
    practical course will be useful for anyone working with UNIX files
    and processes. Perl is not limited to the UNIX operating system.

      Why Perl? Perl is free and easy to install. It combines the best
    of what the Shells and C can do, and contains a superset of the grep
    and awk programs. Perl allows individuals to write secure programs
    quickly and efficiently.

      With intensive hands-on practice, this course will guide
    participants through Perl, covering the semantics and syntax of the
    language: variables, pattern matching, scalars, lists, associative
    arrays, special operators, conditional constructs, subroutines,
    built-in functions, file handles and processes.

      The course includes discussion on the practical kinds of problems
    that Perl can solve and provide example programs. Students will
    write programs that will perform various tasks including text, file,
    and process manipulation.

    RECOMMENDED TEXT: _Programming Perl_ by Larry Wall and Randal
    Schwartz, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. Available at Computer Literacy
    Bookshop, San Jose.

    Prerequisite: Programming experience (preferably C) and knowledge of
    the UNIX operating system. The course "Advanced UNIX Utilities and
    Shell Programming" is strongly recommended.

    ELLIE QUIGLEY, vice president, Learning Enterprises. Ms. Quigley has
    over ten years of experience in teaching UNIX and programming
    language courses. A dynamic instructor, she has contributed
    significantly to the development of UC Extension curricula in
    computer science. She also has an extensive training background with
    Pyramid Technology and Sun Microsystems.

    Fee: Credit, $325. Enrollment limited.

    Santa Clara (EDP 924D06)
    2 Saturdays: June 5 & 12, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. PC Lab, UC Extension, 3120
    De la Cruz Blvd. (Trimble at 101).

    Note: Elective course for the Certificate Program in UNIX System
    Management and Administration.

Fri, 17 Nov 1995 05:52:50 GMT
 Perl training in Bay Area?

Tom> :  Who offers classes in Perl, particularly in the
Tom> :San Francisco Bay Area?

Tom> I offer courses in beginning and advanced Perl pretty much wherever one
Tom> needs to go.  I believe that Randal might also have something, but can't
Tom> swear to it.  Send mail if anyone's interested in course descriptions, etc.

Yes, Tom can swear now. :-)

I have been offering (quietly) a 2-day lecture-only class or a 5-day
lecture/lab class based on the material in my forthcoming O'Reilly
book, "Learning Perl".  The course covers the "middle two-thirds" of
Perl -- nothing {*filter*}, but enough to write good useful programs and
read nearly anything that comes across on the net.

Tom offers more flexible class content (basic/advanced/tailored) and
structure (one hour to two weeks), and he's been teaching longer.
He's helping me out, though, so we're much more like partners than
competitors.

If you have questions, call me at (503)777-0095 or write

print "Just another Perl trainer,"
--
Randal L. Schwartz / Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095

Quote: "Welcome to Portland, Oregon, home of the California Raisins!"

Sat, 18 Nov 1995 17:30:23 GMT
 Perl training in Bay Area?

I'll stick my oar in here too.  While I don't have the name value of
your basic Tom Christiansen or Randal Schwartz (much less of the super
deluxe models), I too offer Perl tutorials ranging from 1-5 days.
And hey, I'm local to the Bay Area, so no travel fees.  Contact me
via the email address below or at (408) 867-9709.

System/Network Manager       "We are islands to each other, building hopeful
 QMS Imagen Division          bridges on a troubled sea."  --Rush

Sun, 19 Nov 1995 04:12:27 GMT
 Perl training in Bay Area?

Quote:

>  Who offers classes in Perl, particularly in the
>San Francisco Bay Area?

>Posting is fine, too -- we'll be watching!

Randal Schwartz will be teaching a class at Pyramid Technology in September.
Pyramid is located at 3860 N. First Street, San Jose, CA 95134
Additional information/signups via Registrar Donna Pantaleoni, 408-428-8388.

Fri, 24 Nov 1995 00:05:39 GMT

1. Training in Bay Area

2. US-CA-Bay Area Perl, UNIX/AIX, CAD TOOLS, RCS (revised)

3. US-CA-Bay Area Perl, UNIX/AIX, CAD TOOLS, RCS (revised)

4. US-CA-Bay Area Perl, UNIX/AIX, CAD TOOLS, RCS (revised)

5. US-CA-Bay Area Perl, UNIX/AIX, CAD TOOLS, RCS

6. Perl Course in Bay Area

7. SF Bay Area Perl programmer wanted

8. US-CA-Bay Area Perl, UNIX/AIX, CAD TOOLS, RCS (revised)

9. US-CA-Bay Area Perl/C RDBMS Contracts---URGENT NEED

10. perl opportunity in bay area

11. Bay Area - Install on WinNT - fast $$

12. SF Bay area classes