Anyone doing hosting of lisp-based web apps?
Author Message
 Anyone doing hosting of lisp-based web apps?

There are numerous companies offering hosting of web servers running
apache, php, mysql or postgresql.  Does anyone know of companies that
offer hosting of lisp-based web applications?
--
chr

Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:05:57 GMT
 Anyone doing hosting of lisp-based web apps?

Quote:

> There are numerous companies offering hosting of web servers running
> apache, php, mysql or postgresql.  Does anyone know of companies that
> offer hosting of lisp-based web applications?

You could look at http://alu.cliki.net/Lisp-friendly%20Web%20Hosting

Alternatively, try one of the "virtual server" companies like Bytemark
<http://www.bytemark-hosting.co.uk/vmhosting/index.html> which should
let you run pretty much anything you want to.

(This is not a recommendation as I've not dealt with them, I just
happened to see their stand at a show yesterday)

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:29:47 GMT
 Anyone doing hosting of lisp-based web apps?
I had great luck with a $35 (US) per month virtual hosting
account.  The memory limit was too small for a Java
servlet container like Tomcat, but I ran two servers
(one hand written in Lisp, the other a standard VisualWorks
web app) - both ran fine together.

-Mark
- Free Lisp Web Book at www.markwatson.com

Quote:
> There are numerous companies offering hosting of web servers running
> apache, php, mysql or postgresql.  Does anyone know of companies that
> offer hosting of lisp-based web applications?
> --
> chr

Mon, 12 Dec 2005 01:55:16 GMT
 Anyone doing hosting of lisp-based web apps?

Quote:
> Alternatively, try one of the "virtual server" companies like Bytemark
> <http://www.bytemark-hosting.co.uk/vmhosting/index.html> which should
> let you run pretty much anything you want to.

Two FreeBSD-based ones I spoke to balked at CMUCL's startup memory
requirement.

--

http://firewall.rulemaker.net  -+- Manage Your Firewall Rulebase Changes
http://www.post1.com/home/ngps -+- Open Source python Crypto & SSL

Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:23:16 GMT
 Anyone doing hosting of lisp-based web apps?

Quote:
>> Alternatively, try one of the "virtual server" companies like
>> Bytemark <http://www.bytemark-hosting.co.uk/vmhosting/index.html>
>> which should let you run pretty much anything you want to.
> Two FreeBSD-based ones I spoke to balked at CMUCL's startup memory
> requirement.

What?  6MB?  I thought people could afford this much these days.

--
Johannes Groedem <OpenPGP: 5055654C>

Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:35:47 GMT
 Anyone doing hosting of lisp-based web apps?

Quote:

> > Two FreeBSD-based ones I spoke to balked at CMUCL's startup memory
> > requirement.

> What?  6MB?  I thought people could afford this much these days.

  PID USERNAME  PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
  510 ngps        2   0  1269M  5992K select   0:00  0.00%  0.00% lisp
                         ^^^^^

CMUCL wouldn't start on their test-drive boxens' default configs.

(These are FreeBSD jail-based virtual server environments.)

--

http://firewall.rulemaker.net  -+- Manage Your Firewall Rulebase Changes
http://www.post1.com/home/ngps -+- Open Source Python Crypto & SSL

Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:24:29 GMT
 Anyone doing hosting of lisp-based web apps?

+---------------

| > > Two FreeBSD-based ones I spoke to balked at CMUCL's startup memory
| > > requirement.
| >
| > What?  6MB?  I thought people could afford this much these days.
|
|   PID USERNAME  PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
|   510 ngps        2   0  1269M  5992K select   0:00  0.00%  0.00% lisp
|                          ^^^^^
| CMUCL wouldn't start on their test-drive boxens' default configs.
| (These are FreeBSD jail-based virtual server environments.)
+---------------

Hmmm... There may be a problem with the FreeBSD "jail", then, or maybe
it's just that their config is too restrictive. While it's true that
CMUCL *maps* that much at startup, it doesn't actually touch much more
than the startup code plus the bits of the saved image that you really
use, hence that modest ~6M "resident set size" you see there -- plus,
of course, any additional space you allocate (times 2, after the next GC).

I run a persistent web application server in CMUCL quite handily under
FreeBSD on several machines, from a speedy mid-sized server down to a
fairly small (48MB), slow (133MHz) laptop. FreeBSD handles CMUCL's VM
demands quite handily, when you let it...

-Rob

-----

627 26th Avenue                 <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403             (650)572-2607

Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:47:35 GMT
 Anyone doing hosting of lisp-based web apps?

Quote:

>> Alternatively, try one of the "virtual server" companies like Bytemark
>> <http://www.bytemark-hosting.co.uk/vmhosting/index.html> which should
>> let you run pretty much anything you want to.

> Two FreeBSD-based ones I spoke to balked at CMUCL's startup memory
> requirement.

  PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
 2305 telent    15   0 38892  28M 14504 S     0.0  5.6 305:20 sbcl

That image is running www.cliki.net (also ww.telent.net,
alu.cliki.net, web.metacircles.com, sbcl-internals.cliki.net and
possibly a couple of others).  I don't know how long it's been up, but
the machine has been running 150 days and I can't _remember_ having
restarted it since, so I think we can safely regard it as a
steady-state requirement

OK, it looks like quite a lot of memory for a single process, but
compared to apache with mod_perl and a few substantial Perl modules I
don't honestly think it's especially large.

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

Thu, 15 Dec 2005 06:28:54 GMT
 Anyone doing hosting of lisp-based web apps?

Quote:

> |   PID USERNAME  PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
> |   510 ngps        2   0  1269M  5992K select   0:00  0.00%  0.00% lisp
> |                          ^^^^^
> | CMUCL wouldn't start on their test-drive boxens' default configs.
> | (These are FreeBSD jail-based virtual server environments.)

> Hmmm... There may be a problem with the FreeBSD "jail", then, or maybe
> it's just that their config is too restrictive.

It's their config. One FreeBSD boxen can host many jails and only the
provider knows how many jails per box he is selling. ;-)

Both providers I spoke to fear that the initial mapping of 1+GB in one jail
will impact the other jails too adversely.

Quote:
> I run a persistent web application server in CMUCL quite handily under
> FreeBSD on several machines, from a speedy mid-sized server down to a
> fairly small (48MB), slow (133MHz) laptop. FreeBSD handles CMUCL's VM
> demands quite handily, when you let it...

Yup, I'm running a jailed CMUCL process on my FreeBSD machine. Works fine.

--

http://firewall.rulemaker.net  -+- Manage Your Firewall Rulebase Changes
http://www.post1.com/home/ngps -+- Open Source Python Crypto & SSL

Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:13:09 GMT
 Anyone doing hosting of lisp-based web apps?

    >> |   PID USERNAME  PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
    >> |   510 ngps        2   0  1269M  5992K select   0:00  0.00%  0.00% lisp
    >> |                          ^^^^^
    >> | CMUCL wouldn't start on their test-drive boxens' default configs.
    >> | (These are FreeBSD jail-based virtual server environments.)
    >>
    >> Hmmm... There may be a problem with the FreeBSD "jail", then, or maybe
    >> it's just that their config is too restrictive.

    Ng> It's their config. One FreeBSD boxen can host many jails and only the
    Ng> provider knows how many jails per box he is selling. ;-)

    Ng> Both providers I spoke to fear that the initial mapping of 1+GB in one jail
    Ng> will impact the other jails too adversely.

You might be able to use the -dynamic-space-size switch to reduce the
size of the heap.  The other spaces are fixed in size[1], so if you want
a smaller one, you'll have to build a custom version of CMUCL.

Ray

Footnotes:
[1]  I once thought about adding additional switches for the sizes of
the static, read-only, and binding-stack sizes, but never got around
to it.  I think this would be fairly straight-forward to do.

Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:48:27 GMT
 Anyone doing hosting of lisp-based web apps?

Quote:
> You might be able to use the -dynamic-space-size switch to reduce the
> size of the heap.  The other spaces are fixed in size[1], so if you want
> a smaller one, you'll have to build a custom version of CMUCL.

Thanks, I'll try that.

I did get one such box after all and am running Zope in it.

--

http://firewall.rulemaker.net  -+- Manage Your Firewall Rulebase Changes
http://www.post1.com/home/ngps -+- Open Source Python Crypto & SSL

Sat, 17 Dec 2005 08:43:44 GMT
 Anyone doing hosting of lisp-based web apps?

Quote:
>   PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
>  2305 telent    15   0 38892  28M 14504 S     0.0  5.6 305:20 sbcl

                         ^^^^^
Hi, is this in kbytes?

I think I'll check out SBCL too. Thanks.

--

http://firewall.rulemaker.net  -+- Manage Your Firewall Rulebase Changes
http://www.post1.com/home/ngps -+- Open Source Python Crypto & SSL

Sat, 17 Dec 2005 08:45:28 GMT
 Anyone doing hosting of lisp-based web apps?

Quote:

>>   PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
>>  2305 telent    15   0 38892  28M 14504 S     0.0  5.6 305:20 sbcl
>                          ^^^^^
> Hi, is this in kbytes?

Yup.  38Gb would be a _big_ process on a 32 bit machine ;-)

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

Sat, 17 Dec 2005 16:36:41 GMT

1. PHP Web Hosting Shop - Find Your Web Hosting

2. OT: Anyone have a sample web design / hosting contract

3. Anyone doing web serving wth Clarion?

4. Has anyone done server-client using lisp-java?

5. Web based Apps and CW5

6. How to do GUI in web-based apps?

7. free cl implementation for web-based app ?

8. non-Motif-based web browsers anyone?

9. Web Apps in Lisp

10. Rewriting dedicated business apps as web apps?

11. Lisp Based Machine Code (Simulators) [was Re: Lisp Machines]