New Lisp Textbook
Author Message
 New Lisp Textbook

Here's an idea for a new Lisp Textbook ...

In the past Robert Sedgewick has issued multiple versions of his algorithms
text.  I had a Pascal version years ago and currently have his C version.
It's a fine text.

It would be great to have a Lisp version, but with this addition.  There
would be two implementations of each algorithm.  The first would be
straightforword, with emphasis on clarity, ease of implementation, etc.  The
second version would totally optimized, and there would be metrics comparing
the two implementations and comparing the optimized version with an
equivalent C implementation.

This would be a great text for students of Lisp, but it would also be great
PR for Lisp in general.  I wonder if Sedgewick knows Lisp ...

Cheers,
Glen

Fri, 01 Aug 2003 08:43:54 GMT
 New Lisp Textbook
[snipped]

Quote:

> This would be a great text for students of Lisp, but it would also be great
> PR for Lisp in general.  I wonder if Sedgewick knows Lisp ...

Abstracting out of this (or even if he's motivated to), perhaps we could
make a collection of the algorithms programmed in Lisp and have them
referenced in some known sites/book references/CD-ROMs. I've seen this
being done to the Numerical Recipes's book. In the CD there is a Lisp
subdirectory.

Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:04:54 GMT
 New Lisp Textbook

Quote:

> [snipped]

> > This would be a great text for students of Lisp, but it would also be great
> > PR for Lisp in general.  I wonder if Sedgewick knows Lisp ...

> Abstracting out of this (or even if he's motivated to), perhaps we could
> make a collection of the algorithms programmed in Lisp and have them
> referenced in some known sites/book references/CD-ROMs. I've seen this
> being done to the Numerical Recipes's book. In the CD there is a Lisp
> subdirectory.

I have versions of queues, priority-queues and red-black-trees as per
CLR, available, I wrote them years ago and I would rewrite them more
cleanly now.  The are available at the AI.Repository and (partially
and in their newer form) in the CLOCC

Cheers

--
Marco Antoniotti =============================================================
NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group                 tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488

Fri, 01 Aug 2003 23:55:00 GMT

1. New Common Lisp, Lisp-to-C translation, Lisp library for C

2. HELP! Looking for LISP textbook

3. Lisp Tutorials/Textbooks on WWW?

4. New textbook: Elementary SML

5. New Semantics Textbook

6. New Modula-2 Textbook Review

7. problems and solutions needed for new programming textbook

8. --- New VHDL textbook in German ---

9. New textbook "Introduction to Constraint Databases"

10. Announcement of New Textbook

11. New Common Lisp and Lisp-to-C translator ANNOUNCEMENT

12. New ->LISP version / (Pure)LISP page