lisp history faq; a damned good read; and a possible cure for what ails you.
Author Message
 lisp history faq; a damned good read; and a possible cure for what ails you.

Just for a moment assume I might not be completely wrong, that CL goes
too far down the road to gratuitouse conformity.
One of the best things I've read recently is (I beleive Sussman and
Ableson's) History of Lisp.  It occures to me that a lisp History faq
would a)be more thorough than this, due to even more contributed
points of view, and b)helpful in keeping Lisp "true to the music".
Perhaps no language deserves such sentimentality, but if any do, it is
lisp.

Thu, 15 Jul 2004 05:28:12 GMT
 lisp history faq; a damned good read; and a possible cure for what ails you.

Quote:
> Ableson's) History of Lisp.  It occures to me that a lisp History faq

You may check:

"The Evolution of Lisp (by Steele and Gabriel)"
ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/scheme-repository/doc/pubs/Evolution-of-...

Paolo
http://web.mclink.it/amoroso/ency/README
[http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/]

Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:40:43 GMT
 lisp history faq; a damned good read; and a possible cure for what ails you.

Quote:

> > Ableson's) History of Lisp.  It occures to me that a lisp History faq

> You may check:

> "The Evolution of Lisp (by Steele and Gabriel)"
> ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/scheme-repository/doc/pubs/Evolution-of-

Actually, thats the one I meant.  I habitually mix up Steele and
Sussman, and then got the Title wrong too.  Bet that will make me even
harder to consider.

Lisp.ps.gz

Quote:

> Paolo

Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:34:59 GMT
 lisp history faq; a damned good read; and a possible cure for what ails you.

Quote:

> Just for a moment assume I might not be completely wrong, that CL goes
> too far down the road to gratuitouse conformity.
> One of the best things I've read recently is (I beleive Sussman and
> Ableson's) History of Lisp.  It occures to me that a lisp History faq
> would a)be more thorough than this, due to even more contributed
> points of view, and b)helpful in keeping Lisp "true to the music".
> Perhaps no language deserves such sentimentality, but if any do, it is
> lisp.

Excellent idea! Why don't you start a Lisp History section on CLiki?
Then others could easily contribute. (Though some TeX/LaTeX documents
in a public PRCS or CVS tree would produce much better output, and in
more formats...)

--

backronym for Linux:                    \ / No HTML or RTF in mail
        Linux Is Not Unix                        X  No MS-Word in mail

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:12:53 GMT
 lisp history faq; a damned good read; and a possible cure for what ails you.

Quote:

> > Just for a moment assume I might not be completely wrong, that CL goes
> > too far down the road to gratuitouse conformity.
> > One of the best things I've read recently is (I beleive Sussman and
> > Ableson's) History of Lisp.  It occures to me that a lisp History faq
> > would a)be more thorough than this, due to even more contributed
> > points of view, and b)helpful in keeping Lisp "true to the music".
> > Perhaps no language deserves such sentimentality, but if any do, it is
> > lisp.
> Excellent idea! Why don't you start a Lisp History section on CLiki?

Don't be cruel to a heart thats true!  Even had I the resources; I am
Johny come newbie, and such would show even more gall than is my
won't.  I respect lisp to much to attempt such a thing, when I am
having trouble getting simple programs to work (I'm using an old
implementation of mulisp, and I haven't found the "do what I mean"
key, yet!).
Quote:
> Then others could easily contribute. (Though some TeX/LaTeX documents
> in a public PRCS or CVS tree would produce much better output, and in
> more formats...)

Thu, 05 Aug 2004 03:38:20 GMT
 lisp history faq; a damned good read; and a possible cure for what ails you.

Quote:

> (I'm using an old
> implementation of mulisp, and I haven't found the "do what I mean"
> key, yet!).

You need interlisp for that.

Thu, 05 Aug 2004 04:48:23 GMT
 lisp history faq; a damned good read; and a possible cure for what ails you.

Quote:

> > (I'm using an old
> > implementation of mulisp, and I haven't found the "do what I mean"
> > key, yet!).

> You need interlisp for that.

Thanks for the laugh!

Thu, 05 Aug 2004 09:38:48 GMT

1. Internal Error 332 - Prevention better than cure?

2. 1989 Conference on Lisp and History of Lisp -- Advance Notice

3. Lisp-1 vs. Lisp-2: A possible solution

4. best way to display alarm histories in Labview6?

5. volunteer to do the FAQ (+ some history)

6. History of Fortran - good source of information

7. SUMMARY: how to turn good lisp into good C

8. how to turn good lisp into good C?

9. Lisp history

10. Alternatives to ailing Ada.

11. Lisp and the early history of the Internet?

12. Question about lisp history?