Lisp classes
Author Message
 Lisp classes

Hi everyone -

I'm interested in taking a Lisp class - I'm a total beginner. Does
anyone know of any classes taught in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Thanks,

Jeff

------------------------->jeff fohl STUDIO

                                 phone   - 415-864-4108
                                 fax     - 415-864-4409

                                 website - http://www.*-*-*.com/

                                 446 valencia street
                                 san francisco, ca 94103

Wed, 13 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Lisp classes

+---------------
| I'm interested in taking a Lisp class - I'm a total beginner.
| Does anyone know of any classes taught in the San Francisco Bay Area?
+---------------

(*chuckle*) Each time I get the announcement flyers for places like
The College Of San Mateo (etc.) and their extension and night classes,
I glance through to see what kind of computer courses they offer for
the public. Seems to be mostly (1) general introduction to computers
[e.g., how to surf the Web], or (2) how to use particular PC apps, or
(3) programming the currently "marketable" languages (C, C++, Java, VB, etc.).

But several SF Bay Area colleges (and at least one high school) *are*
teaching Lisp (well, most are teaching Scheme, but you could make the
transition to Common Lisp easily enough from that), if you can arrange
to audit one of their courses [or take it for credit, whatever]. According
to the Schemer's list <URL: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;, the
following Bay Area schools teach Scheme:

       {*filter*}-Wilmerding High School, San Francisco, CA
             [No course info given]

        Mills College, Oakland, CA
             114/214: Programming Languages
             [But only three lectures out of a full survey of languages]

        University of California, Berkeley
             CS3: Introduction to Symbolic Programming
             CS61A: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

        University of California, Davis
             CS35: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

        Stanford University
             CS221: Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
             CS242: Programming Languages

        San Jose State University
             145A/B: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
        Santa Clara University
             COEN172: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
             COEN261: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

        University of California, Santa Cruz
             CMP131: Semantics of Programming Languages

If you didn't already know, SICP is one of "the" books on Scheme, and
in fact, programming in general, so that's a point in favor of those
courses that use it.

-Rob

p.s. You might also want to check out the following (which contain some
information also useful for self-study, e.g., <URL: http://www.*-*-*.com/
CS/PLT/Teaching/material.shtml>):

-----

Silicon Graphics, Inc.          Phone: 650-933-1673 [New area code!]
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.         FAX: 650-933-4392
Mountain View, CA  94043        PP-ASEL-IA

Thu, 14 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Lisp classes

Franz Inc. ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ )  I believe has their next Common Lisp/CLOS
Training class in June.  They're in Berkeley, and I plan on being there
myself.

Regards,
Bob Manjoney
Senior Developer
McHugh Software International
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:

>+---------------
>| I'm interested in taking a Lisp class - I'm a total beginner.
>| Does anyone know of any classes taught in the San Francisco Bay Area?
>+---------------

>(*chuckle*) Each time I get the announcement flyers for places like
>The College Of San Mateo (etc.) and their extension and night classes,
>I glance through to see what kind of computer courses they offer for
>the public. Seems to be mostly (1) general introduction to computers
>[e.g., how to surf the Web], or (2) how to use particular PC apps, or
>(3) programming the currently "marketable" languages (C, C++, Java, VB,
etc.).

>But several SF Bay Area colleges (and at least one high school) *are*
>teaching Lisp (well, most are teaching Scheme, but you could make the
>transition to Common Lisp easily enough from that), if you can arrange
>to audit one of their courses [or take it for credit, whatever]. According
>to the Schemer's list <URL: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;, the
>following Bay Area schools teach Scheme:

>{*filter*}-Wilmerding High School, San Francisco, CA
>      [No course info given]

> Mills College, Oakland, CA
>      114/214: Programming Languages
>      [But only three lectures out of a full survey of languages]

> University of California, Berkeley
>      CS3: Introduction to Symbolic Programming
>      CS61A: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

> University of California, Davis
>      CS35: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

> Stanford University
>      CS221: Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
>      CS242: Programming Languages

> San Jose State University
>      145A/B: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
> Santa Clara University
>      COEN172: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
>      COEN261: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

> University of California, Santa Cruz
>      CMP131: Semantics of Programming Languages

>If you didn't already know, SICP is one of "the" books on Scheme, and
>in fact, programming in general, so that's a point in favor of those
>courses that use it.

>-Rob

>p.s. You might also want to check out the following (which contain some
>information also useful for self-study, e.g., <URL: http://www.*-*-*.com/
>CS/PLT/Teaching/material.shtml>):

>-----

>Silicon Graphics, Inc. Phone: 650-933-1673 [New area code!]
>2011 N. Shoreline Blvd. FAX: 650-933-4392
>Mountain View, CA  94043 PP-ASEL-IA

Thu, 14 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Lisp classes

Quote:

> I'm interested in taking a Lisp class - I'm a total beginner. Does
> anyone know of any classes taught in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Buy Shapiro's book "Common Lisp: An interactive approach"
and teach yourself.  Once you've gone through the first
3 parts of that, you will be ready to read and understand
Steele's CLtL2 or the hyperspec.

This is how I learned it.

Benji Shults
Dept. of Math
Kenyon College

Mon, 18 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Lisp classes/seminars

2. Mei and Prolog/Lisp Classes

3. Lisp,LIsp,LISp,LISP...

4. Lisp,LIsp,LISp,LISP...

5. Is Lisp in class X?

6. classes vs. lisp primitives

7. A C++ class library that gives a LISP feel to C++

8. A C++ class library that gives a LISP feel to C++

9. Graphic Object Classes in Lisp

10. New Common Lisp, Lisp-to-C translation, Lisp library for C

11. Understanding code: 100 classes vs. 5000 classes

12. Inserting classes between other classes when loading packages