running a lisp program
Author Message
 running a lisp program

What is the procedure for creating a program using common lisp.
I have a book with commands but it doesn't cover creating source files ,
Al

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 running a lisp program

Quote:
>What is the procedure for creating a program using common lisp.
>I have a book with commands but it doesn't cover creating source files ,

Firstly you need a Common Lisp compiler/interpreter. When you got it,
you may read manuals for it and decide what to do next.

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 running a lisp program

Quote:
> What is the procedure for creating a program using common lisp.
> I have a book with commands but it doesn't cover creating source files
,

I'm no expert, but most Lisps have an interactive mode which reads what
you type in and executes it.  So as you define new functions you
effectively extend the language.  You can also stick source in a file
and do something like (load "file.lsp") at the prompt.  The fine details
of compilation depend on the implementation, but basically you use the
comile command.

However, you're probably thinking about Lisp as if it's C - you write
something, compile it and run it.  In practice, Lisp is not really used
that way.  Read Graham's "On Lisp" for a good introduction (it says it's
advanced, but I wish I had read it as soon as I started Lisp).  Instead
of writing something "on top of the language" the idea is more to extend
Lisp into the language you want - but even if you don't reach that kind
of nirvana, you'll still find that developing Lisp programs tend to be
assembling smaller (functional) lumps that you in a more progressive
way.

Also, I would expect Lisp compilers to have a hard time in compiling
anything non-trivial into a separate program that doesn't also contain
the Lisp you started out with - this is because of the way Lisp is so
easy to "turn inside out" (it's trivial, for example, to write a program
that is that interactive read-evaluate loop that the Lisp interpreter
provides).  So it's misleading to think of programs as being somehow
separate from the Lisp system they use (compare that with C - it is not
trivial to write a C interpreter/compiler in C).

Andrew

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 running a lisp program

Quote:
Slobodjuck) writes:
>Firstly you need a Common Lisp compiler/interpreter. When you got it,
>you may read manuals for it and decide what to do next.

I have it but no manuals. That why I am asking the question,
Al

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 running a lisp program

Quote:

> I have it but no manuals. That why I am asking the question,
> Al

Which would imply that you don't have a commercial implementation of
CL, since those come with manuals (either electronic or paper or
both).  So which of the free implementations do you have, so that we
can tell you where to get the free manuals?

Regs, Pierre.

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 running a lisp program

Quote:
(Pierre R. Mai) writes:
> So which of the free implementations do you have, so that we
>can tell you where to get the free manuals?

Common lisp. I think we are going in a loop. Please just tell me the procedure
for loading, compiling, purpose of interative mode, or some commentary on
functional programming etc.
I can take it from there.
Thanks
Al

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 running a lisp program

Quote:

> (Pierre R. Mai) writes:

> > So which of the free implementations do you have, so that we
> >can tell you where to get the free manuals?

> Common lisp. I think we are going in a loop.

Which Common Lisp? There are several implementations of Common Lisp.
On what operating system?

Rainer Joswig, ISION Internet AG, Harburger Schlossstra?e 1,
21079 Hamburg, Germany, Tel: +49 40 77175 226

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 running a lisp program

Quote:

> Slobodjuck) writes:

>>Firstly you need a Common Lisp compiler/interpreter. When you got it,
>>you may read manuals for it and decide what to do next.

> I have it but no manuals. That why I am asking the question,

since we aren't mindreaders, we don't know which lisp implementation you
are using, so ot is very difficult to answer your question

--

Hartmann Schaffer

It is better to fill your days with life than your life with days

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 running a lisp program

Quote:

>Which Common Lisp? There are several implementations of Common Lisp.
>On what operating system?

Okay it is Corman for Windows 95 and it is on the 30 day trail period.
Al

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 running a lisp program

Quote:

> (Pierre R. Mai) writes:

> > So which of the free implementations do you have, so that we
> >can tell you where to get the free manuals?

> Common lisp.

Common Lisp is the programming language, just like C++ is a
programming language or BASIC.  And just like GCC and Visual C++ are
two very different implementations of C++, GCL, CMU CL, CLISP, Allegro
Common Lisp, Harlequin LispWorks, Liquid Common Lisp and Eclipse are
different implementations of Common Lisp.

To give you detailed instructions on using your specific
implementation, we would need to know which implementation you are
using.  If OTOH you need general information on the programming
language itself, you might want to go over to http://www.alu.org/ to
find out about quick introductions, electronic versions of the ANSI
standard, and good introductory books.

Regs, Pierre.

Sun, 23 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 running a lisp program

Quote:

>>Which Common Lisp? There are several implementations of Common Lisp.
>>On what operating system?

>Okay it is Corman for Windows 95 and it is on the 30 day trail period.
>Al

Well, you should have a manual (it comes with it). Admittedly not
extensive, but there is a small tutorial which guides you through
making and saving a source file, and executing simple commands. LOAD
works as documented in the Common Lisp Hyperspec, and there is a
SAVE-APPLICATION command which allows you to create a double-clickable
application. I think there is some documentation on that in the
manual. If you have specific questions about Corman Lisp you can get
to the message board at:  http://www.deja.com/~cormanlisp and there
are several people who respond readily to all questions on that board.

Roger Corman

Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 running a lisp program

writes:

Quote:
>Well, you should have a manual (it comes with it).

I don't seem to have it.
When i click on help i just get the original screen and another untitled sceen.
Basically what i have is worksheet and console.
I downloaded aprox two megs of files for the install
Do you have to download the manual separately
Through this news group i am trying to get past the first steps of using the
work sheet and console
Thanks
Al

Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 running a lisp program

Quote:

> Well, you should have a manual (it comes with it).

When I installed Corman Lisp the other day there was no obvious
manual, although I didn't look very hard.  The help menu didn't seem
to have one anyway.  So maybe there is something wrong in the
downloaded thing?

I can't check now as I removed it (pending buying a copy).

--tim

Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 running a lisp program

Quote:

> > Well, you should have a manual (it comes with it).

> When I installed Corman Lisp the other day there was no obvious
> manual, although I didn't look very hard.  The help menu didn't seem
> to have one anyway.  So maybe there is something wrong in the
> downloaded thing?

> I can't check now as I removed it (pending buying a copy).

        Should be under
C:\Program Files\Corman Tools\Corman Lisp 1.3\documentation
(assuming "standard" installation).

        BTW: There should be a new version out "soon", according to
http://www.corman.net...

--
Raymond Wiker, Orion Systems AS
+47 370 61150

Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 running a lisp program

Quote:

>> > Well, you should have a manual (it comes with it).

>> When I installed Corman Lisp the other day there was no obvious
>> manual, although I didn't look very hard.  The help menu didn't seem
>> to have one anyway.  So maybe there is something wrong in the
>> downloaded thing?

>> I can't check now as I removed it (pending buying a copy).

>        Should be under
>C:\Program Files\Corman Tools\Corman Lisp 1.3\documentation

Yes, you currently just have to look for it in there. There should be
a PDF version and a MS Word version. I have linked the PDF manual
to come up automatically (using an IE window) from the Help menu in
the upcoming version 1.4.

Roger

Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. How do you load/run a lisp program?

2. Running Lisp programs non-interactively

3. Running Koza's GP1 Lisp code on Common Lisp

4. Running Koza's GP1 Lisp code on Common Lisp

5. Long running program, by short running expectk

6. program behaves differently when run from expectk than when run from sh

7. How to start a lisp program in lisp ?

8. Help: Executing lisp programs from C-programs?

9. IPC between a LISP program and a C program

10. Lisp,LIsp,LISp,LISP...

11. Lisp,LIsp,LISp,LISP...

12. Running compiled Lisp code from command line; using LISP for CGI programming