Lisp Interpreter
Author Message
 Lisp Interpreter

Do you know any place were I can Download a lisp Interpreter (It's
interpreter isn't it?).

--
Do not think you have to win.
Think rather you do not have to lose.

          Gichin Funakoshi

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Lisp Interpreter

Quote:
> Do you know any place were I can Download a lisp Interpreter (It's
> interpreter isn't it?).

Most Common Lisp systems are based on compilers; sometimes they
compile to byte-code (e.g., CLISP), sometimes to C which is then
compiled to native code by calling an external C compiler (e.g., GCL),
sometimes direct to native code (e.g., CMUCL, Allegro CL, LispWorks).
These systems are still interactive, and most (all?) have interpreters
too, for use with certain kinds of debugging.

If you want a free Common Lisp system, your options are:

  - Franz and Harlequin (makers of Allegro CL and LispWorks,
    respectively) have free versions of their products. See
    their web sites: http://www.{franz,harlequin}.com/ .
    These are closed-source, commercial products, but their
    authors are giving them away.
    You can get these for Linux and Windows (not necessarily
    the exact same product in each case).

  - Corman Common Lisp is another native-code compiler, for
    Windows only. It's open-source and comes for free; there's
    also an integrated development environment you have to pay
    for. I don't remember a URL, but any search engine should
    be able to find it for you.

  - CMU Common Lisp is available at http://www.cons.org/cmucl/ .
    It's open-source (more precisely, public-domain). It won't,
    IIRC, run on any version of Windows. It's fine on Linux,
    FreeBSD, Solaris, at least.

  - CLISP is available at http://clisp.cons.org/ . It's open-source
    (more precisely, GNU GPL). It is a rather portable system, and
    will run on (at least) Linux, DOS, Win95/98, NT, Solaris,
    Acorn RISC OS, Amiga, OS/2.

  - GNU Common Lisp is available from any GNU FTP site. I'm not
    sure what systems it will run on. It's rather old and out of date;
    CMUCL is probably a better bet.

All these implementations have their own strengths and weaknesses,
so it doesn't make much sense to say "Get this one!" about any of
them.

--
Gareth McCaughan       Dept. of Pure Mathematics & Mathematical Statistics,

Mon, 12 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANNOUNCEMENT: Release of source code to an Interlisp Lisp interpreter

2. Looking for LISP interpreter for transputer

3. Scheme or Lisp interpreter on Psion Series 3?

4. ->LISP Interpreter and Code Library Update

5. Lisp interpreter written in Prolog

6. LISP interpreter in Prolog

7. want a Lisp interpreter

8. Scheme or Lisp interpreter on Psion Series 3?

9. ->LISP Interpreter and Code Library Update

10. Common Lisp interpreter for Mac OS X?

11. Byte-compiling lisp interpreter required

12. need good lisp interpreter