Printer Questions
Author Message
 Printer Questions

Is there any way to:

1) Stop the printer from prepending "package-name::" to the front of
symbols, when printing (with pprint or whatever) lists containing
symbols in packages other than the one you're in when doing the
printing?

2) Tell the printer to print symbol names in lowercase (or uppercase),
short of resetting the global case-mode with something like Allegro's
excl:set-case-mode, which has a lot of other undesired side-effects?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

--
David J Cooper Jr                                       Genworks International

 ...Embracing an Open Systems Approach to Knowledge-based Engineering...

Fri, 15 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Printer Questions

* David J Cooper Jr
| Is there any way to:
|
| 1) Stop the printer from prepending "package-name::" to the front of
| symbols, when printing (with pprint or whatever) lists containing
| symbols in packages other than the one you're in when doing the
| printing?

  how do you print symbols now?  PRINT and PRIN1 will print the package,
  but PRINC will not.  FORMAT ~S will include the package, ~A will not.  in
  general, WRITE will include the package name if *PRINT-ESCAPE* is true.

| 2) Tell the printer to print symbol names in lowercase (or uppercase),
| short of resetting the global case-mode with something like Allegro's
| excl:set-case-mode, which has a lot of other undesired side-effects?

  see the variable *PRINT-CASE*.

  I'm running Allegro CL with CASE-SENSITIVE-LOWER (despite writing symbols
  in prose in uppercase, I prefer them lowercase in code), and have not
  seen any of the undesired side-effects, but I also take care to use
  uninterned symbols or keywords where a symbol name is required, not a
  string, which would be case sensitive, and then write all symbols in
  lower-case.  however, I appreciate the possibility of case sensitive
  symbol names.

#:Erik
--
  religious cult update in light of new scientific discoveries:
  "when we cannot go to the comet, the comet must come to us."

Sat, 16 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Printer Question

2. Epson TM-U295 Printer Question

3. Printer Question

4. A Printer Question

5. Clipper and HP Printers Question?

6. R&R printer question

7. LogoWriter printer question (Apple ][ specific)

8. VanGui for RM/Cobol + PRINTER question

9. [Fwd: Printer Questions]

10. Need to access different printer trays on a laser printer using VA 5.0

11. Getting Printer Status - Out Of Paper or Printer Off from Windows

12. Sending printer codes to printer