Question: Querying Class Hierarchies
Author Message
 Question: Querying Class Hierarchies

I'm trying to find a way to extract class hierarchy info from class objects.
I've tried to do it using describe, but I can't seem to store the
information for further use.  Does anyone know a way to extract hierarchy
information such as direct-super and subclasses from a class object?

Thanks!

Fred Gibson, Architect

==================================-----------||||||||||||||||||||||
Frederick Clifford Gibson Architect & Associates

     1220 14th Avenue Suite 106
     San Francisco, CA  94122
     415.753.3797 |tel|  415.759.8848 |fax|

     (c)1999 http://www.*-*-*.com/

     EASG: Epistemology-Aesthetics Study Group
            http://www.*-*-*.com/
     ART:  American Renaissance for the Twenty-First Century
            http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 16 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Question: Querying Class Hierarchies
What Lisp are you using? ACL offers #'class-direct-{super|sub}classes
from the Metaobject protocol. dependng on your Lisp's support of MOP,
you probably have something similar.

Quote:

> I'm trying to find a way to extract class hierarchy info from class objects.
> I've tried to do it using describe, but I can't seem to store the
> information for further use.  Does anyone know a way to extract hierarchy
> information such as direct-super and subclasses from a class object?

> Thanks!

> Fred Gibson, Architect

> ==================================-----------||||||||||||||||||||||
> Frederick Clifford Gibson Architect & Associates

>      1220 14th Avenue Suite 106
>      San Francisco, CA  94122
>      415.753.3797 |tel|  415.759.8848 |fax|

>      (c)1999 http://www.gibson-design.com

>      EASG: Epistemology-Aesthetics Study Group
>            http://www.gibson-design.com/philosophy
>      ART:  American Renaissance for the Twenty-First Century
>            http://www.art-21.org

Fri, 16 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Question: Querying Class Hierarchies

Quote:

> What Lisp are you using? ACL offers #'class-direct-{super|sub}classes
> from the Metaobject protocol. dependng on your Lisp's support of MOP,
> you probably have something similar.

Also, if the original poster finds out that his Lisp supports (some
parts) of the MOP, I'd recommend looking around for a hard-copy
of "The Art of the Meta-Object Protocol" by Gregor Kiczales et al.,
which IIRC includes just his problem as an example.

If no hard-copy is at hand, looking at the generic functions in
Chapters 5&6 (which are available online at the ALU web-site[1], and
provided by many vendors as part of their documentation), will
probably provide enough information...

Regs, Pierre.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.elwood.com/alu/index.htm

Fri, 16 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Question: Querying Class Hierarchies

Quote:

> What Lisp are you using? ACL offers #'class-direct-{super|sub}classes
> from the Metaobject protocol. dependng on your Lisp's support of MOP,
> you probably have something similar.

A trivial comment on this is that these things may well not be
accessible from the default package your Lisp starts in -- you might
have to do something like using the CLOS package (I don't know if
that's right for Allegro).

--tim

Sat, 17 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Class hierarchy design question

2. newbie question, MY classes in the hierarchy

3. How to print class hierarchy diagram?

4. Class hierarchy

5. Enfin class hierarchy

6. The ABC Class Hierarchy

7. VAST Record Class Generator, OSObject hierarchy, and C structs

8. Toward a new class hierarchy for numerics

9. Cheapest Class Hierarchy Browser

10. dynamic class hierarchies, dynamic changes to multimethods ?

11. On the Structure of a Class Hierarchy

12. Translating C++ class hierarchies to Eiffel