CLIM help and information
Author Message
 CLIM help and information

Hi,

I've just started writing my First Big CLIM Application. I've tried writing
CLIM applications before, and I find myself in exactly the same situation
as I have at all previous times. There is little information available
about how to build a CLIM application. The best I can do is look at various
examples and documents (at Harlequin and the "specification" available from
www.franz.com) and wonder how they work. My greatest achievement so far has
been to figure out that I should worry about presentation types rather than

very low traffic list on which I see few questions and fewer answers.

I would of course like to find better learning materials. Can anyone
suggest anything appropriate? Something that discusses the process of
building a CLIM application? And extending a basic CLIM application in
interesting ways? (For instance, what does it mean to inherit from an
existing frame class anyway?)

Thanks,

Sunil

Fri, 05 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CLIM help and information

Quote:
> I would of course like to find better learning materials.

You know about the CLIM stuff at the CMU AI Repository, I suppose?
Among other things, there's a CLIM 2.0 tutorial (called "luv93tut")
from the LUV93 conference. It includes 45 slides and 93K of example
code.

(I don't have any CLIM experience myself.)

Arthur Lemmens

Sat, 06 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CLIM help and information

Quote:

> > I would of course like to find better learning materials.

> You know about the CLIM stuff at the CMU AI Repository, I suppose?
> Among other things, there's a CLIM 2.0 tutorial (called "luv93tut")
> from the LUV93 conference. It includes 45 slides and 93K of example
> code.

> (I don't have any CLIM experience myself.)

I checked, could not find the slides. I searched for luv93 but came up with
nothing. Do you have a URL?

BTW, there are also some slides at www.digitool.com/pub/clim/ but they are
only part 2 of the tutorial. Part 1 is missing. Another problem I have had
is that it is really difficult to correlate the slides with the provided
sample code. Not a very useful learning too, IMHO.

Sunil

Sat, 06 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CLIM help and information

Quote:
> I checked, could not find the slides. I searched for luv93 but
> came up with nothing. Do you have a URL?

It's at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/
              lang/lisp/gui/clim/clim_2/luv93tut/0.html

It's probably the same as
ftp://www.digitool.com/pub/clim/clim-2/luv-93-tutorials/

Arthur Lemmens

Sat, 06 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CLIM help and information

Quote:

> > I checked, could not find the slides. I searched for luv93 but
> > came up with nothing. Do you have a URL?

> It's at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/
>               lang/lisp/gui/clim/clim_2/luv93tut/0.html

> It's probably the same as
> ftp://www.digitool.com/pub/clim/clim-2/luv-93-tutorials/

> Arthur Lemmens

Hmmm, I wonder how I missed that. Must be the unusually early morning I've
had today. And yes, it is the same tutorial, with the same problems --
starts at part II of the tutorial with no mention what part I contains, and
still has no indication of code-slide correspondences.

Sunil

Sat, 06 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CLIM help and information
I don't know how much these have for examples, but:

http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/references.htm#clim
 also lists a white-paper, online spec, and other resources like
free-clim.

http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/learn.htm#tutorial
  also lists another tutorial

I'm sure there must be examples distributed with the vendor's
implementations, but I'm also under the impression that there are some
standard, canonical examples floating about.  For instance, I think the
free-clim site has some demo code (associated maybe with Express
Windows?) which shows some common idioms.

Sat, 06 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CLIM help and information

Quote:
> I don't know how much these have for examples, but:

> http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/references.htm#clim
>  also lists a white-paper, online spec, and other resources like
> free-clim.

> http://www.elwood.com/alu/table/learn.htm#tutorial
>   also lists another tutorial

> I'm sure there must be examples distributed with the vendor's
> implementations, but I'm also under the impression that there are some
> standard, canonical examples floating about.  For instance, I think the
> free-clim site has some demo code (associated maybe with Express
> Windows?) which shows some common idioms.

Thanks for reminding me of the free-clim effort. Not that I'm going to
attempt wading through the source code, but the on-line spec is going to be
quite useful.

I have gone through the alu resources on clim before, but nothing there
struck be as being particularly useful. One of the responses I got in my
email suggested that I look at the symbolics clim 2 manual. I have been
able to dig out the clim 1 manual, but not the clim 2. And the tutorial
section looks more like what I had been hoping to find. Does anyone have
any suggestions where I might find the symbolics clim 2 manual?

Thanks,

Sunil

Sat, 06 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

2. Help! Problems with CLIM

3. Help, setting colormap corrupts server (CLIM,CLX)

4. CLIM frame help...

5. need some help with conditions and CLIM

6. CLIM HELP

7. Req: any information about retrieving register information of CPU

8. Help interpreting profiler information

9. Information to include in requests for help

10. Need Help with Update form information

11. CDX file information - HELP PLEASE

12. Help ! System Information