I want to ask you All an advice, please
Author Message
 I want to ask you All an advice, please

Quote:

>>...I know already C/C++, Ada, Java, delphi (Object Pascal), a
>>little of Common Lisp, UML, HTML, JavaScript and a base of XML and Visual
>>Basic...

> I think you should learn python (see www.python.org). I predict it will
> rapidly become your favorite language.

No, he already knows a little Common Lisp, so he won't be able to deal
with such a primitive approach to garbage collection. Look at the effort
required to handle cyclic references:

    http://www.*-*-*.com/

Artiom, finish learning Common Lisp, http://www.*-*-*.com/ , then you will
be in the best position to decide which features you are most able to
tolerate living without when you pick your career language (while
keeping your eye open for Lisp positions). Here are the features I would
not want to give up:

- interactive development (no linking, compile individual functions, the
REPL which only seems like an interpreter)
- speed (optimize-compiled to machine code)
- decent GC (transparent, efficient)
- macros (procedural, not just token-replacing)
- multiple-inheritance and all the other features of CLOS, the OO package
- generic functions
- &key, &rest, and &optional args
- standardized (as in ANSI)
- mature (as in stable)
- closures
- special variables
- (sexpr notation (as in parentheses))
- automatic indentation by the editor
- restarts from a backtrace
- OO condition system
- four or more vendors, free trial versions, several free projects

Once you know why each of those is cool, you'll do a better job of
picking the least abysmal alternative. (Hint: I have personal knowledge
of Lispers who have found happiness in Python or JavaScript.)

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc

Sun, 01 May 2005 03:07:32 GMT
 I want to ask you All an advice, please

    Sebastian> ouch...  hey, common: delphi is widely used,
    Sebastian> afaik... ;)

Hm. Pardon my ignorance here, but how different is Delphi from Pascal?
I understood why we had it as a teaching language in high school and
Intro Comp Sci at university, but find the {*filter*}-and-discipline
aspect tough to get through for real tasks. I seem to recall much
wailing and gnashing of teeth in my 3rd-year compiler class, where
students had the choice between Pascal and C. Everyone knew Pascal by
then, whereas most didn't yet know C, but the obvious easy choice made
things tough later.

--
I argue very well.  Ask any of my remaining friends.  I can win an argument on
any topic, against any opponent.  People know this, and steer clear of me at

Sun, 01 May 2005 23:59:12 GMT

1. I want to ask you All an advice, please

2. I want to ask you All an advice, please

3. I want to ask you All an advice, please

4. random number generation: the newbie asks for advice

5. Asking for advice: Using Python for data validation

6. random number generation: the newbie asks for advice

7. Advice on asking for help

8. ask advice converting Smalltalk to CLOS

9. Crossplatform development - advice wanted

10. Advice re database reporting wanted

11. advice wanted (migrating app from PB-dos to Windows)

12. ENVY Administration Advice Wanted