Window Systems and Forth (was: Mac vs PC FLAME BAIT Par EXELENCE)
Author Message
 Window Systems and Forth (was: Mac vs PC FLAME BAIT Par EXELENCE)

Quote:

> I'd like to follow up my own article on the MGR Window System by
> saying an ideal user interface system, in my mind, would be something
> like MGR when it comes to a window system, with each new window
> containing a Forth text interpreter, complete with editing
> facilities. This would probably look much like the Emacs Lisp
> Interaction *scratch* buffer.

Yep, let's reinvent.

The Symbolics Lisp machines had the following ideas:

- there are command tables
-- store a set of commands
-- inherit commands from other command tables
-- commands can have arguments

- commands can be invoked
-- by calling a lisp function
-- by entering a command in a command line interface
-- by clicking on an "active object" on the screen
-- by pressing keys
-- using menus

- the command interpreter manages:
-- history
-- prompting
-- parsing of the arguments
-- validating the arguments
-- generating dialogs for commands
-- online help
-- editing command lines
-- completion of commands and arguments

- the command interpreter has:
-- its own lightweight thread
-- and associated command table
-- a window pane which can be put in an application frame
-- can be used with a mouse

For an example for an application with an embedded command
line interface see the "Symbolics Document Examiner",
an early hypertext system:
You can see some screen shots at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~joswig/docex.html

For an introdution into object oriented presentation
based user interface technology see:

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~moeller/uims-clim/clim-int...

I have put a short example of a typical session with the
Symbolics Lisp Listener at:

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~joswig/listener/listener.html

Greetings,

Rainer Joswig

Mon, 22 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Window Systems and Forth (was: Mac vs PC FLAME BAIT Par EXELENCE)

Rainer Joswig reminded me about the user interface on some Lisp
machines, especially the Symbolics interface on the Genera OS, as a
reply to my suggestion of the ideal user interface. I'm familiar with
the user interface of several Lisp Machines. This is more or less why
I suggested the ideal interface to a Forth system the way I did.

I'm also familiar with Joswig's wonderful Online Symbolics Musuem and
I have visited it many times.

However, I am not familiar with a similar interface to any Forth
system, as of yet. I would like to see one, and in my small way, I'm
adding MGR support for several Forth systems, to do just this...

--

+46-70-759 14 24
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~mc

Wed, 24 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Window Systems and Forth (was: Mac vs PC FLAME BAIT Par EXELENCE)

Quote:

> I'm also familiar with Joswig's wonderful Online Symbolics Musuem and
> I have visited it many times.

Bob Kerns has created the "Online Symbolics Museum":
http://www.brightware.com/~rwk/symbolics/ .
So, thanks to him.

Rainer Joswig

Wed, 24 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Interesting, Was: Mac vs PC FLAME BAIT Par EXELENCE

2. Mac vs PC FLAME BAIT Par EXELENCE, was Re: Hang on, isn't Forth , out of date now?

3. Objects for ANS Forth FLAME BAIT!

4. FLAME BAIT!

5. G.C as disqualifier (Flame-Bait)

6. GC as disqualifier (Flame-Bait)

7. Not really a flame-bait

8. Warning: Flame Bait

9. Microsoft Flame Bait

10. MS Windows 3.0 (Embedded Systems Programming magazine flame)

11. UR/FORTH vs. PC/FORTH

12. jredford's flames and criticism (was: PYTHON VS. PERL VS. TCL )