Wanted: On Lisp by Paul Graham
Author Message
 Wanted: On Lisp by Paul Graham

Does anyone know where I can get ahold of the On Lisp book by Paul
Graham?  It seems to be out of print, and I haven't been able to track it
down anywhere...

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 03:41:52 GMT
 Wanted: On Lisp by Paul Graham
On 25 Jan 2002 19:41:52 GMT, Cory Spencer

Quote:

>Does anyone know where I can get ahold of the On Lisp book by Paul
>Graham?  It seems to be out of print, and I haven't been able to track it
>down anywhere...

How much of a hutty are you?
Paul Graham has already indicated that he will put the book on his web
site when he has the time.
There are two alternates: try to outbid some or go to a library and
copying it.
I have no qualms about copying a book that is out of print and likely
never to be in print again. The situation right now is disgusting,
akin to ticket scalpers.

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:18:06 GMT
 Wanted: On Lisp by Paul Graham

Quote:
>> Does anyone know where I can get ahold of the On Lisp book by Paul
>> Graham?  It seems to be out of print, and I haven't been able to track
>> it down anywhere...

> How much of a hutty are you?

Since I have no idea what a "hutty" is, I'm not exactly sure how to take
that...

Quote:
> Paul Graham has already indicated that he will put the book on his web
> site when he has the time.

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info.

Quote:
> I have no qualms about copying a book that is out of print and likely
> never to be in print again. The situation right now is disgusting,
> akin to ticket scalpers.

I never intended to copy the book, I wanted a real live print edition for
my reading pleasure.

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:41:34 GMT
 Wanted: On Lisp by Paul Graham

Quote:

> >> Does anyone know where I can get ahold of the On Lisp book by
> >> Paul Graham?  It seems to be out of print, and I haven't been
> >> able to track it down anywhere...
> > How much of a hutty are you?
> Since I have no idea what a "hutty" is, I'm not exactly sure how to
> take that...

I suspect that it's something that gets typed when someone else is in
"too much of a hutty."

Note also the adjacency, on typical QWERTY keyboards, of the "R" key
and the "T" key, and ask yourself what might happen if you ran that
through:
  (defun ttr (string)
      (loop for ch across string
            do (format t "~C" (if (char= ch #\t) #\r ch))))

Quote:
> > Paul Graham has already indicated that he will put the book on his
> > web site when he has the time.
> I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info.

A while back, there was a sizable "flame war" where some annoying
people felt that because _On Lisp_ was out of print, it was to be
_assumed_ that Paul Graham should _obviously_ make it available on the
web, gratis.

Apparently he's going to do so, which is well and nice; the fact that
this is happening is a nice and _generous_ thing that he's doing.
--

http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/oses.html
Windows and Icons and Mice, OH MY!

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 05:47:03 GMT
 Wanted: On Lisp by Paul Graham

Quote:

> Does anyone know where I can get ahold of the On Lisp book by Paul
> Graham?  It seems to be out of print, and I haven't been able to track it
> down anywhere...

From Paul Graham's FAQ at http://www.paulgraham.com/faq.html :

======================================
Where can I get a copy of On Lisp?

Unfortunately it is out of print, and used copies seem hard to find.
If you like I can put you on this page, which has led to some people
getting copies. Copies also sometimes come up for sale at eBay.

I got the rights back from the publishers and plan to put it online,
but at the moment I'm too busy with Arc.
======================================

Cheers.

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 06:59:12 GMT
 Wanted: On Lisp by Paul Graham

Quote:
>How much of a hutty are you?
>Paul Graham has already indicated that he will put the book on his web
>site when he has the time.

How long does it take to scan a book ?
Perhaps one of us can scan it in and post it on a web site.
Assuming of course, that Paul Graham gives consent ...

Make sure that you add the following to your signature.
Highly effective at reducing spam and unwanted email!

Please direct all spam to:

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:41:06 GMT
 Wanted: On Lisp by Paul Graham

Quote:
>How much of a hutty are you?
>Paul Graham has already indicated that he will put the book on his web
>site when he has the time.

Perhaps one of us can scan it in and post it on a web site.
Assuming of course, that Paul Graham gives consent ...

Make sure that you add the following to your signature.
Highly effective at reducing spam and unwanted email!

Please direct all spam to:

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:42:29 GMT
 Wanted: On Lisp by Paul Graham

Quote:

>>How much of a hutty are you?
>>Paul Graham has already indicated that he will put the book on his web
>>site when he has the time.

> Perhaps one of us can scan it in and post it on a web site.
> Assuming of course, that Paul Graham gives consent ...

Wouldn't it be better for Graham to post the LaTeX, TeX, Groff, Lout,
Scribe, or whatever files he used to generate the printed version? I
assume he didn't write it by hand :), and that would allow multiple
output formats for many of those typesetting languages, and
higher-quality output.

--

backronym for Linux:                    \ / No HTML or RTF in mail
        Linux Is Not Unix                        X  No MS-Word in mail

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:13:39 GMT

1. "On Lisp" by Paul Graham

2. Looking for Paul Graham's On Lisp

3. On Lisp by Paul Graham

4. Paul Graham's "On Lisp"

5. "On Lisp" by Paul Graham

6. On Lisp (Paul Graham)

7. Paul Graham's accumulator generator

8. Alignment of CREATE and DOES>, was Re: Paul Graham's accumulator generator

9. Dylan book by Paul Graham?

10. Paul Graham essay on language popularity

11. Article about Paul Graham on slashdot today

12. Paul Graham on Slashdot: The Hundred-Year Language