What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?
Author Message
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?

Reading the documentation of ilisp it consistently says things like:
"starts an inferior lisp". So what is inferior about these?

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:22:36 GMT
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?

Quote:

> Reading the documentation of ilisp it consistently says things like:
> "starts an inferior lisp". So what is inferior about these?

LOL, good question.  Maybe you should ask the maintainers of ilisp ;-)

Regards,
--
Nils Goesche

PGP key ID 0x42B32FC9

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:24:54 GMT
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?
Quote:

>So what is inferior about these?

This word is really "interior" but the bloke who wrote the original version had
a little lisp...

;)w

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:45:14 GMT
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?

Quote:

> > Reading the documentation of ilisp it consistently says things like:
> > "starts an inferior lisp". So what is inferior about these?

> LOL, good question.  Maybe you should ask the maintainers of ilisp ;-)

Remember that Emacs is "The Total Application". Anything started form
it (an maybe compared to :) ) is "inferior".

Seriously, whenever you start an "intercative interpreter" within
Emacs, you start an "inferior" process.  This applies to any language
and/or shell.

The package that is commonly used for these interactions is called
`comint'.

Cheers

NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group        tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488
719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
New York, NY 10003, USA                 http://bioinformatics.cat.nyu.edu
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:49:06 GMT
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?

Quote:

> Reading the documentation of ilisp it consistently says things like:
> "starts an inferior lisp". So what is inferior about these?

:-)

Really, it's just that the inferior lisp is a child process of the editor,
hence "inferior" to it in the hierarchy of running processes, using the
conventional topsy-turvy computer science mental picture of tree structures.

People usually think of trees-structured data  like family trees, with
leaf-nodes/children somehow "on the bottom", rather than like real trees,
with the leaf-node/children somehow"at the top" - no-one has really ever
explained why, though one popular theory is that early printouts of tree
structures would have used the easiest printing algorithm available -
namely, tell the teletype to print the root node, then its children, then
their children, etc. - which would result in a tree printout with the "root"
at the top, and the other popular theory is human's instinctive
{*filter*}-hierarchy recognition coupled with their spatial-importance
recognition, which would somehow place the "root" node at the top, as the
most important.

--
Don't eat yellow snow.

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 05:05:20 GMT
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?

Quote:
> Reading the documentation of ilisp it consistently says things like:
> "starts an inferior lisp". So what is inferior about these?

Takes me back to some malloc()-related code commented:
    /* Free the Mayonnaise Jar Six! */

I think you're going to have to complain to the authors of ilisp about
how they're being discriminatory and diminuitive to all these Lisp
implementations.  Unfortunately, you can't accuse them of being
racist, because Lisp doesn't have a race.  (Race conditions,
maybe... Race?  No...)
--

http://www.*-*-*.com/
"Now  they show  you how  detergents  take out  {*filter*}stains, a  pretty

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 05:40:42 GMT
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?

Quote:

> > Reading the documentation of ilisp it consistently says things like:
> > "starts an inferior lisp". So what is inferior about these?

I've always considered that phrasing rather poor.

In fact, what is being done is that lisp is being launched as an
"inferior job" to the Emacs.  In other words, a new process that is
controlled by (inferior to) Emacs.  It is a comment on the process
relationship rather than an editorial comment about the quality of the
lisp process.  It does lead to confusion or at least head-scratching.

I would guess that "subordinate" would be a better choice of term.

--

Sat, 17 Jul 2004 03:07:55 GMT
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?

Quote:

>> > Reading the documentation of ilisp it consistently says things
>> > like: "starts an inferior lisp". So what is inferior about these?
> I've always considered that phrasing rather poor.
> In fact, what is being done is that lisp is being launched as an
> "inferior job" to the Emacs.  In other words, a new process that is
> controlled by (inferior to) Emacs.  It is a comment on the process
> relationship rather than an editorial comment about the quality of
> the lisp process.  It does lead to confusion or at least
> head-scratching.
> I would guess that "subordinate" would be a better choice of term.

A better term might be "servant," being shorter, and more widely used.

The fact that it is of ancient provenance also seems a good thing.

To be more specific, it is used 458 times in the King James Version of
the Bible, which, even supposing you regard it solely from a
linguistic perspective, has had a heavy influence on the development
and dissemination of the English language.
--

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spiritual.html
Rules of the Evil Overlord #172. "I will allow guards to operate under

Sat, 17 Jul 2004 04:27:29 GMT
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?

Quote:

> People usually think of trees-structured data  like family trees, with
> leaf-nodes/children somehow "on the bottom", rather than like real trees,
> with the leaf-node/children somehow"at the top" - no-one has really ever
> explained why, though one popular theory is that early printouts of tree
> structures would have used the easiest printing algorithm available -
> namely, tell the teletype to print the root node, then its children, then
> their children, etc. - which would result in a tree printout with the "root"
> at the top, and the other popular theory is human's instinctive
> {*filter*}-hierarchy recognition coupled with their spatial-importance
> recognition, which would somehow place the "root" node at the top, as the
> most important.

I believe Knuth discussed this

--
Nick Keighley
some things have to believed to be seen

Sat, 17 Jul 2004 19:25:51 GMT
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?

Quote:

> I've always considered that phrasing rather poor.

I hope you don't have an inferiority complex...

;)w

Sat, 17 Jul 2004 22:38:38 GMT
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?

Quote:

> > > Reading the documentation of ilisp it consistently says things like:
> > > "starts an inferior lisp". So what is inferior about these?

> I've always considered that phrasing rather poor.

> In fact, what is being done is that lisp is being launched as an
> "inferior job" to the Emacs.  In other words, a new process that is
> controlled by (inferior to) Emacs.  It is a comment on the process
> relationship rather than an editorial comment about the quality of the
> lisp process.  It does lead to confusion or at least head-scratching.

> I would guess that "subordinate" would be a better choice of term.

The term inferior predates Unix and was a technical term on an OS
Emacs grew up on. ISTR Multics, in which case the paper on Multics
Emacs at multicians.org could shed more light on it.

--

She says, "Honey, you're a Bastard of great proportion."
He says, "Darling, I plead guilty to that sin."

Sat, 17 Jul 2004 05:05:54 GMT
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?

Quote:

> > People usually think of trees-structured data  like family trees, with
> > leaf-nodes/children somehow "on the bottom", rather than like real trees,
> > with the leaf-node/children somehow"at the top" - no-one has really ever
> > explained why, though one popular theory is that early printouts of tree
> > structures would have used the easiest printing algorithm available -
> > namely, tell the teletype to print the root node, then its children, then
> > their children, etc. - which would result in a tree printout with the "root"
> > at the top, and the other popular theory is human's instinctive
> > {*filter*}-hierarchy recognition coupled with their spatial-importance
> > recognition, which would somehow place the "root" node at the top, as the
> > most important.

> I believe Knuth discussed this

I had to laugh when I read this.  Uhm, any idea where?  He's not
exactly a one-essay-wonder, if you know what I mean...

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 02:41:37 GMT
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?

Quote:

> > > People usually think of trees-structured data like family trees,
> > > with leaf-nodes/children somehow "on the bottom", rather than
> > > like real trees, with the leaf-node/children somehow"at the top"
> > > - no-one has really ever explained why, though one popular
> > > theory is that early printouts of tree structures would have
> > > used the easiest printing algorithm available - namely, tell the
> > > teletype to print the root node, then its children, then their
> > > children, etc. - which would result in a tree printout with the
> > > "root" at the top, and the other popular theory is human's
> > > instinctive {*filter*}-hierarchy recognition coupled with their
> > > spatial-importance recognition, which would somehow place the
> > > "root" node at the top, as the most important.

> > I believe Knuth discussed this

> I had to laugh when I read this.  Uhm, any idea where?  He's not
> exactly a one-essay-wonder, if you know what I mean...

:)

On the first three pages of "2.3. Trees" in TAOCP Vol. 1, Third
Edition, he discusses the issue how trees should be drawn. There's
nothing about the teletype theory mentioned above, though.

Edi.

Sun, 18 Jul 2004 03:08:07 GMT
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?
Checking my dictionary, i see two likely definitions:

1. in a lower position

2. (describing a planet) inside Earth's orbit

--

 kenny tilton
 clinisys, inc

Mon, 19 Jul 2004 02:27:05 GMT
 What's so inferior about CLisp,CMUCL, PersonalWorks, ACL?

Quote:

>> > Reading the documentation of ilisp it consistently says things like:
>> > "starts an inferior lisp". So what is inferior about these?

>> LOL, good question.  Maybe you should ask the maintainers of ilisp ;-)

> Remember that Emacs is "The Total Application". Anything started form
> it (an maybe compared to :) ) is "inferior".

> Seriously, whenever you start an "intercative interpreter" within
> Emacs, you start an "inferior" process.  This applies to any language
> and/or shell.

(pedantically
"~&According to `dict shell' (the FOLDOC entry), the Multics shell~
dynamically linked in the program to be executed, ran it, and unliked~
it. I don't think this would imply inferiority.~%")
#| :) |#

Quote:
> The package that is commonly used for these interactions is called
> `comint'.

> Cheers

> --
> Marco Antoniotti ========================================================
> NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group        tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488
> 719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
> New York, NY 10003, USA                 http://bioinformatics.cat.nyu.edu
>                     "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
>                            Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.

--

backronym for Linux:                    \ / No HTML or RTF in mail
        Linux Is Not Unix                        X  No MS-Word in mail

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:13:24 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Newbie question: How to set a default pathname for cmucl as Emacs inferior-lisp

2. Perfromance issues with CMUCL Vs ACL or Lispworks

3. CLSQL database interface released for ACL,LW,CMUCL

4. Compiling cl-http for ACL or CMUCL.

5. More CMUCL bugs (possibly ACL also?): enough-namestring

6. cmucl/acl Gabriel benchmarks under Linux /PPro

7. ACL, CLISP and pathnames

8. ACL vs. CLISP

9. Works in CMUCL but not in CLISP

10. Running a shell in CLISP and CMUCL

11. Simple code crashes both CMUCL and CLISP.

12. CLISP & CMUCL: non-interactive execution