Introduction to CLOS
Author Message
 Introduction to CLOS

I'm looking for a short overview or introduction to CLOS that is available
as a file on an FTP server or elsewhere in the net.

I know that the CLOS specification is part of CLtL-2, but considering
that I'm mainly interested in the concepts and not all the details (I'm
not programming in CL) and that I already own CLtL-1, purchasing CLtL-2
to just get an overview of CLOS seems a bit like a waste to me.  In
addition, ordering books from overseas in Germany usually takes months
and costs a small fortune.

Thanks,
--

Sat, 01 Jul 1995 19:39:23 GMT
 Introduction to CLOS

Quote:

>I'm looking for a short overview or introduction to CLOS that is available
>as a file on an FTP server or elsewhere in the net.

I don't know of an online paper, but if you can get back issues of
Communications of the ACM I believe there was an overview of CLOS in the
special issue on LISP about a year and a half ago.
--
Barry Margolin
System Manager, Thinking Machines Corp.

Sat, 01 Jul 1995 23:58:27 GMT
 Introduction to CLOS

Quote:
>I'm looking for a short overview or introduction to CLOS that is available
>as a file on an FTP server or elsewhere in the net.

I don't know about any ftp docs, but have you tried
        1) Sonya E. Keene, "Object-Oriented Programming in
        Common Lisp", Addison-Wesley, 1989;
        2) Patrick H. Winston and Berthold K.P. Horn,
        "Lisp - 3rd Edition", Addison-Wesley, 1989, Chapter 14,
        Classes and Generic Functions;
You should be able to get those in any properly equipped university
library.
--

   Automated Reasoning Program - CISR, and Plasma Theory Group - RSPhysS,
   The Australian National University, G.P.O. Box 4, Canberra, A.C.T., 2601,

Wed, 05 Jul 1995 14:32:13 GMT
 Introduction to CLOS

Quote:

>I'm looking for a short overview or introduction to CLOS that is available
>as a file on an FTP server or elsewhere in the net.

I wrote a short intro a while back.

  Host: aiai.ed.ac.uk (aka 192.41.104.6)
  User: anonymous
  Password: your net address
  Directory: /lisp/random
  File: clos-guide

Jeff Dalton,

Edinburgh University.

Sun, 09 Jul 1995 04:41:41 GMT

1. Introduction on Lisp/CLOS?

2. Encapsulating CLOS (was: Diff. CLOS vs C++)

3. Encapsulating CLOS (was: Diff. CLOS vs C++)

4. Encapsulating CLOS (was: Diff. CLOS vs C++)

5. Encapsulating CLOS (was: Diff. CLOS vs C++)

6. Introduction to J

7. Introduction to J

8. Introduction to Function Rank

9. Introduction to APL? (Possible FAQ)

10. Introduction to Oflow

11. Announcement: New Course - Introduction to z/OS UNIX

12. zSeries 900 introduction and 64-bit support