Need help porting MacLisp prog to CL
Author Message
 Need help porting MacLisp prog to CL

G'day.

I'm porting some code from MacLisp to CL and I need some help.

I've got a copy of Guy Steele's book on Common Lisp which isn't bad,
but I need slightly more.

I guess I'm really after a manual or tutorial for MacLisp (does such
a thing still exist?) but some advice from someone who's done this
before would probably be just as good.

Here are some questions for starters:

How does MacLisp handle "declare"?

What does the "ioc" function do? What values does it take? (In fact a
treatment of MacLisp console I/O generally would be nice.)

Is MacLisp "eq" the same as CL "eq" or should I use "eql"?

Oh, and not too much technical jargon please - I'm new to CL. (I was
brought up on XLisp.)

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Bromage
Andrew Bromage                  | "When the going gets weird, the
                                |  weird turn pro."

If any opinions expressed here match those of the University of
Melbourne, I'll sue them for plagiarism.

Fri, 09 Aug 1996 13:03:46 GMT
 Need help porting MacLisp prog to CL

Quote:
>I guess I'm really after a manual or tutorial for MacLisp (does such
>a thing still exist?) but some advice from someone who's done this
>before would probably be just as good.

I think the MacLisp manual was published as an MIT AI Lab Tech Report.  You
could try calling the lab's publications department and inquire about
purchasing a copy.

Quote:
>Here are some questions for starters:

>How does MacLisp handle "declare"?

At top level, (declare <form>) is equivalent to (eval-when (compile)
<form>).  SPECIAL is actually the name of a compile-time special form that
adds its argument to the list of special variables.

In most cases, a top-level (declare <form>) can be translated to (proclaim
'<form>).

Inside functions, DECLARE is treated specially, as in CL, although the
available declarations are different.

Quote:
>What does the "ioc" function do? What values does it take? (In fact a
>treatment of MacLisp console I/O generally would be nice.)

IOC is used for full-screen terminal control, like the Unix termcap
library.  The first argument is a character (single-character symbol)
indicating a function, and additional arguments are parameters to that
function.  I don't remember any of the function codes, though.

CL has nothing analogous to IOC.  With a foreign function interface you
could call the Unix termcap or terminfo routines.

Quote:
>Is MacLisp "eq" the same as CL "eq" or should I use "eql"?

MacLisp and CL EQ are the same.  MacLisp has nothing like CL's EQL.
--
Barry Margolin
System Manager, Thinking Machines Corp.

Sat, 10 Aug 1996 16:37:20 GMT

1. MACLISP compared to CL

2. Porting from MACLISP?

3. CL-PDF: need beta testers for cl-pdf 1.0

4. need help for a _very_ short prog.

5. Desparately need help to solve a prog Question !!

6. HELP needed on simple concat prog

7. simple f77 prog - need help

8. ----> Emergency: Need Help with fortran prog

9. Need help with simple expect prog.

10. need help compile c prog w/

11. Need help: running an external program from a CL.

12. HELP on string manipulation needed (CL)