Compilation insight requested.
Author Message
 Compilation insight requested.

Quote:

> > many thanks to all who have responded to the "extra-method"
> > question. It looks like my fears have been confirmed.  Anyway...

> So that people have outlined
> WHY losing is a virtual certainty  seems something to revel in, too.
> :-)

> Sorry for the unsolicited sermon if it's not useful to you.

It is most useful and I enjoyed reading it. Almost Buddhist in
nature.

I send an answer to the main thread on the reasons why I
overconstrained the problems. Also, I gave a reason why you can blame
Barry Margolin for it :)

Quote:
> > Here is another small piece of code that is giving me some problems.

> > I have a file named one.lisp which contains exactly the following.

> > ===========================================================================

> > (defun make-1 () 1)

> > (defconstant +one+ (make-1))

> > ===========================================================================

> > My question, due to the laziness of going through all the past
> > postings on DEFCONSTANT and friends is simply the following.

> > What behavior should I expect from COMPILE-FILE of one.lisp?

> I guess you're not looking for "possible textual confirmation that
> your compile completed, return values confirming the fact, and a side
> effect on the file system in which a loadable file is created", huh?

Not quite. The compiler (CMUCL 18b) gives a MAKE-1 undefined error.  I
suppose for all the good reasons you give in the remainder of the post.

This time I will use the "acceptance" spirit and rewrite my code (I
have already done that), always remebering that it is simplicity that
is difficult to make. :)

Cheers

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~marcoxa

Thu, 18 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Fortran compilation on Linux: insights and problems

2. REQUEST: Compilation of PWIG Results

3. Compilation Request

4. Special compilation action for defalut compilation sematics

5. HW compilation vs SW compilation

6. Insight Systems merges with Adaytum Software

7. Insight Systems Vendor News

8. Insight Graphing from Capesoft

9. Images in Reports - Insight Graphs ...

10. Insight Graphing

11. Need Insights re: Versant/Smalltalk

12. Insight Graphing 7f