What was the first program you wrote in lisp?
Author Message
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?

I'm interested b/c thinking back to where I started, I see how many
aha's I've had programming with lisp, and I'm sure there will be more.
I think it is interesting to notice that what seemed difficult in the
past is eventually understood and taken for granted.

Lurking newcomers to Lisp may also be interested in hearing about
first lisp programs.

My first bits of Lisp code were simple functions like my-reverse.  And
the first aha (which was more like a curious hmmmm) was when the guy I
was working with tested out my reverse function by applying it to my
source code.

So, what was the first program you wrote in lisp?

What Lisp did you use?  What did your program do?  What was
difficult/non-intuitive then that is obvious now?

Sun, 01 May 2005 22:23:22 GMT
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?

Quote:

> So, what was the first program you wrote in lisp?

> What Lisp did you use?  What did your program do?  What was
> difficult/non-intuitive then that is obvious now?

The question is a bit too vague, since 'program' is so vague, but
if I rephrase it as "useful program", I think it must have been
a little program I wrote on an Xerox D-machine back in 1986.
The program was written in Interlisp of course, and it generated
postscript from screen shots (since we had no decent printer with
the D-machines). The D-machines were really buggy in standalone
mode (they were better with servers), so I only had tcp working on
it for one single day. After that, I used kermit(!) to transfer
my postcriptified bitmaps to a mac which was connected to a LaserWriter...
--
  (espen)

Sun, 01 May 2005 22:42:43 GMT
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?

Quote:

> I'm interested b/c thinking back to where I started, I see how many
> aha's I've had programming with lisp, and I'm sure there will be more.
> I think it is interesting to notice that what seemed difficult in the
> past is eventually understood and taken for granted.

> Lurking newcomers to Lisp may also be interested in hearing about
> first lisp programs.

> My first bits of Lisp code were simple functions like my-reverse.  And
> the first aha (which was more like a curious hmmmm) was when the guy I
> was working with tested out my reverse function by applying it to my
> source code.

> So, what was the first program you wrote in lisp?

> What Lisp did you use?  What did your program do?  What was
> difficult/non-intuitive then that is obvious now?

The first two serious programs I wrote were a skolemization and
normalization procedure for First Order Logic well formed forms.  The
second one was an implementation of the RETE descrimination data
structure (I remember we changes the English of OPS5 to Latin :) )  At
the time, the revelation that you did not need Lex/Yacc to deal with
these things was crucial.

The Lisp I used was VLisp, a French implementation which I believe led
to LeLisp later on.  That was 83/84.

Cheers

NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group        tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488
715 Broadway 10th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
New York, NY 10003, USA                 http://bioinformatics.cat.nyu.edu
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.

Sun, 01 May 2005 23:03:11 GMT
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?

Quote:

> So, what was the first program you wrote in lisp?

> What Lisp did you use?  What did your program do?  What was
> difficult/non-intuitive then that is obvious now?

I am currently writing my first "serious" program in Common Lisp. ;)

Before that I was involved in a project where we were doing
transformation of Java class files at load time (kind of load-time
aspect weaving), among other things. This is written in Java.
(http://www.Pascalcostanza.de/aspect-oriented_programming.html, in case
you're interested.)

The hardest part was to understand the bit about programs = data. I have
grasped it during that project. So you could rightfully say that my
first "serious" Lisp program was written in Java, in the sense of
Greenspun's tenth rule. ;)

When the equivalence of programs and data started to become natural and
obvious to me, the progression to Common Lisp was the natural next step.

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn

http://www.pascalcostanza.de  R?merstr. 164, D-53117 Bonn (Germany)

Sun, 01 May 2005 23:18:47 GMT
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?

Quote:

> So, what was the first program you wrote in lisp?

> What Lisp did you use?  What did your program do?  What was
> difficult/non-intuitive then that is obvious now?

        My first lisp program was a set of emacs-lisp functions that I
used to file bug-reports in some company-proprietary development
tools. The first report filed was on the official bug-reporting tool,
which quite simply didn't work.

        The main thing I was unhappy about then was the use of
dynamic binding to pass values to emacs' mail subsystem.

--

Senior Software Engineer             Web:   http://www.fast.no/
Fast Search & Transfer ASA           Phone: +47 23 01 11 60

Try FAST Search: http://alltheweb.com/

Sun, 01 May 2005 23:24:12 GMT
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?
At uni we had to write an object oriented simulation of a nature reserve
in Scheme. I had an 8086 based laptop and no Scheme interpreter but I
did have a Lisp interpreter and a book on CL. Deadline Monday morning
and this was Friday night I and wasn't going to sleep in the labs.  I
managed to write a very basic (and I mean basic) object system in this
Lisp (not CL).  Basically, it just read a s record description of the
objects and spat out some scheme code. I then rewrote it in Scheme on
the computers in the lab.

 This was after one week of Scheme lectures and I am still amazed at how
much I could do in Lisp with no formal training and only basic Scheme
knowledge. Name another language where I could have done that!

Mon, 02 May 2005 00:25:30 GMT
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?

Quote:

> So, what was the first program you wrote in lisp?

A program to work simple algebraic equations symbolically, the tricky
bit being that it had to "show its work" in human bites, and at two
speeds, normal and in baby steps. That was Microsoft (!) Logo, actually.

When we got MCL, my first chore was a new math editor.

Quote:

> What was
> difficult/non-intuitive then that is obvious now?

Recursion under Logo, which did not have iteration.

With CL... no major problems having cut my teeth on Logo, just that CL
offers so much that fluency (as in having all that stuff just flow from
my fingertips without reaching for a CL text) takes a commensurately
long time to develop.

It's like skiing: easy to learn, hard to master.

Some things it took me years to discover (in part because I work alone
and did not always do cll heavily) was (1) special variables and (2)
continuing from a backtrace after fixing offending code.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc

Mon, 02 May 2005 01:59:31 GMT
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?
A program that interacted with the mailer daemon to implement
third-class email delivery, needed because we were processing
the world's largest and most high-volume mailing lists.
(The mailing lists were SF-LOVERS, INFO-MICRO, and HUMAN-NETS.)

Mon, 02 May 2005 02:35:47 GMT
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?

Quote:

> I'm interested b/c thinking back to where I started, I see how many
> aha's I've had programming with lisp, and I'm sure there will be more.
> I think it is interesting to notice that what seemed difficult in the
> past is eventually understood and taken for granted.

> Lurking newcomers to Lisp may also be interested in hearing about
> first lisp programs.

> My first bits of Lisp code were simple functions like my-reverse.  And
> the first aha (which was more like a curious hmmmm) was when the guy I
> was working with tested out my reverse function by applying it to my
> source code.

> So, what was the first program you wrote in lisp?

I did some cartesian product type thing to get the hang of mapcar and
mapcan, and lots of other little experiments to learn about macros,
CLOS and so on.

Then I wrote a useful little mortgage calculator that I used when
buying an actual house. I put a macro interface on this thing and it
let you do very cool stuff, like define rules for extra payments,
payment and rate changes and so forth. You could write a Lisp
expression to say, effectively, that in the first four months of the
second year, you want to double up your payments, and then four years
later the interest rate jumps, etc. You could also choose your
compounding (monthly, semi-annually), various divisions: biweekely,
semi-monthly. I almost got to the point where I could define a
mortgage as an abstraction, and then do higher order computing on
that, like compare two to see which one is better, or when one
overtakes the other, etc.

Then I hacked up this: http://users.footprints.net/~kaz/mcvs.html

What is next? Who knows? Right now I'm making Lisp bindings for the
WxWindows library; maybe I will use this to create a GUI for the above
project. I'm trying to mirror the class structure of WxWindows in
CLOS, and even some of the macro-type things, like defining a message
map to route messages to methods. Every time I work on it, I make
solid, decent progress. But I just don't have a lot of time.

Quote:
> What Lisp did you use?  What did your program do?  What was

I dabbled with GNU Common Lisp and then gave it up; it was good for a
complete beginner, but then I wanted to use sophisticated condition
handling and it was just not doing it; once you progress beyond a
certain level, ANSI compliance starts to matter. I use CLISP quite a
lot. But I experiment with others on an ongoing basis, proprietary and
otherwise.

Quote:
> difficult/non-intuitive then that is obvious now?

Things like nested backquotes, and getting mixed up about which of two
similar meta-levels you are hacking at. ;)

Mon, 02 May 2005 03:30:45 GMT
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?

As other have mentioned, "program" is very vague, so I too will assume
"useful program." And with that distinction, right now, after
"learning" Common Lisp for a year, I'm in the process of writing my
first program which does something remotely useful. It's a clone of
UNIX "date" utility that accepts the strftime(3) time string format
(with some features lacking) and displays it in a X window.

I guess the most important thing I've learned during the process are
some tidbits of CL compilation theory. In particular the concept of
similarity (as defined in CLHS) and quirks of working with literal
objects.

Regards,
 Richard Krushelnitskiy

--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War
IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

Mon, 02 May 2005 03:33:24 GMT
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?

Quote:

> So, what was the first program you wrote in lisp?

I'm pretty sure it was 5 varying implementations of Fibonacci
triangles.  Fibonacci is cool.

Quote:
> What Lisp did you use?  What did your program do?  What was

I used CLISP.

--
vsync
http://quadium.net/

Mon, 02 May 2005 04:19:19 GMT
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?
Hi,
I have been using Lisp on-and-off for more than five years now and my exp.
is as follows:

1) 1996 : Game of Tic-tac-toe : ply evaluation and min-max ; used CLISP

2) 1998 : symbolic simulation of VLSI circuits under zero gate delay,
given a logic circuit like (F= (A&B) | C) where A, B and C are arbitrary
polynomials compute F as a logic value; used CMUCL and Lispworks
(Harlequin) on HP-UX

3) 1999-2001 : I have developed a (not so complete) VLSI design and test
system using a S-expression based high level design language, works with
Garnet on CMUCL, CAPI on Lispworks, CLISP (text mode). Includes logic
simulator, test mode editor, schematic generator, logic graph generator
(using graphwiz)

4) 2001-current : Test Scheduling software for testing of big system
chips. Developed on CMUCL and Lispworks, works on CLISP also.
GUI is best seen on CAPI :)
link is : http://www.sochiptest.com

Aha moment : "everything is possible" just need to sit at the computer for
a bit longer, Lisp is an extremely powerful language and writing one
function at a time you dont know (i) when its morning (ii) when the job
has been done.

Regards,
Sandeep

Mon, 02 May 2005 04:58:27 GMT
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?

Quote:

> So, what was the first program you wrote in lisp?

> What Lisp did you use?  What did your program do?  What was
> difficult/non-intuitive then that is obvious now?

A compiler for a sub-set of Pascal (HP-1000 code generation) for a
class assignment around 1985. I used Expertelligence Lisp for the
Apple Macintosh, a large investment for a poor student.

I remember the giggling feeling how simple and elegant Lisp was
compared to fortran and Pascal/C.

Petter
Petter Gustad         8'h2B | ~8'h2B        http://www.gustad.com/petter

Mon, 02 May 2005 04:44:02 GMT
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?

Quote:

> So, what was the first program you wrote in lisp?

> What Lisp did you use?  What did your program do?  What was
> difficult/non-intuitive then that is obvious now?

The first program outside the functional programming course where I
learned Lisp was some stability and main dimensions calculations for an
arctic oil drilling rig I was doing as a naval architectural course
assignment.

Maclisp on PDP-10/Tops-20, TECO-based Emacs as editor, about year 1984.
The biggest problem was that we didn't have access to a CRT terminal in
that building, so it was either walk to the next building every time I
wanted to change the program, or edit it with a DecWriter III (LA-120)
paper terminal.

--

Mon, 02 May 2005 06:11:12 GMT
 What was the first program you wrote in lisp?

In that same class, we did an assignment using microPlanner -- I got it
to work, but didn't understand what was going on until a couple of years
later.

bob bechtel

Quote:

> I'm interested b/c thinking back to where I started, I see how many
> aha's I've had programming with lisp, and I'm sure there will be more.
> I think it is interesting to notice that what seemed difficult in the
> past is eventually understood and taken for granted.

> Lurking newcomers to Lisp may also be interested in hearing about
> first lisp programs.

> My first bits of Lisp code were simple functions like my-reverse.  And
> the first aha (which was more like a curious hmmmm) was when the guy I
> was working with tested out my reverse function by applying it to my
> source code.

> So, what was the first program you wrote in lisp?

> What Lisp did you use?  What did your program do?  What was
> difficult/non-intuitive then that is obvious now?

Mon, 02 May 2005 07:13:48 GMT

 [ 32 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

 Relevant Pages

1. The Lisp Magazine at lisp-p.org: first issue available

2. anyone write a othello program in lisp ??

3. Lisp code that writes non-lisp code

4. self-booting pmode program written in assembler written in sh

5. I am looking for a CPU, preferably written in Verilog

6. I am trying to write multiple lines high

7. I am looking for people proficient in writing in Labview secret clearance and RF background

8. I am writing a operating system

9. Ready to Write First App

10. Squeak newbie, writing first class

11. Squeak newbie, writing first class

12. First application written in Harbour + FWH: wfBackup.