Linda, this is cool!
Author Message
 Linda, this is cool!

Untitled Document    ARGH!

    I wll never understand why spam still exists, the internet reaching the
level of development and maturity is has.  I can't imagine that there's
ANYONE left anymore dumb and/or internet-inexperienced to purchase anything
advertised through spam.  Even if there is, I don't understand why spammers
woud target newsgroups for Tcl, Python, and Perl... technologies most often
used by crusty old-timers LEAST likely of all to be an effective target
audience...

Thu, 07 Aug 2003 06:46:47 GMT
 Linda, this is cool!
On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:46:47 -0500, "Steve D. Perkins"

his lap as he typed:

Quote:
>Untitled Document    ARGH!

>    I wll never understand why spam still exists, the internet reaching the
>level of development and maturity is has.  I can't imagine that there's
>ANYONE left anymore dumb and/or internet-inexperienced to purchase anything
>advertised through spam.  Even if there is, I don't understand why spammers
>woud target newsgroups for Tcl, Python, and Perl... technologies most often
>used by crusty old-timers LEAST likely of all to be an effective target
>audience...

Blame spambots.  They retrieve all available newsgroups on the
spammer's ISP, then post their {*filter*}to every single one of them.
Fortunately many ISPs have gotten wise and have placed posting caps on
duplicate messages, but spambots have found ways to circumvent that --
by placing a random number after the subject line, by rotating the
subject line from a list of subject lines, by placing random ASCII
text at the end of each message, etc. so the server doesn't think it's
a duplicate message.  It's really quite a loathesome little business,
and I've never figured out why people are still stupid enough to think
that it works, but I guess they still abide by the old motto, "There's
no such thing as bad publicity."

Ah, but there is if you lose your ISP for violating their TOS/AUP.
And there are plenty of people -- me, for instance -- who are
perfectly happy to send a nice note to their ISP's abuse department.
:)

--

Almost there...

"Ignorance breeds confidence more often than does knowledge."  -Darwin
The Emulation Newbie FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Remove the badgers before E-Mailing.

Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:27:19 GMT
 Linda, this is cool!
On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 03:27:19 GMT, Mindfield

:It's really quite a loathesome little business,
:and I've never figured out why people are still stupid enough to think
:that it works, but I guess they still abide by the old motto, "There's
:no such thing as bad publicity."

It costs them next to nothing, and they must end up selling some of their
product or generating some revenue from the spam. If they didn't, the spamming
would decrease, but instead it is on the increase. Some people are stupid
enough to buy from spammers.

:Ah, but there is if you lose your ISP for violating their TOS/AUP.
:And there are plenty of people -- me, for instance -- who are
:perfectly happy to send a nice note to their ISP's abuse department.

Me, too.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/

Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:01:13 GMT
 Linda, this is cool!

Quote:
> Untitled Document    ARGH!

>     I wll never understand why spam still exists, the internet reaching
the
> level of development and maturity is has.  I can't imagine that there's
> ANYONE left anymore dumb and/or internet-inexperienced to purchase
anything
> advertised through spam.  Even if there is, I don't understand why
spammers
> woud target newsgroups for Tcl, Python, and Perl... technologies most
often
> used by crusty old-timers LEAST likely of all to be an effective target
> audience...

there will always be dumb people

Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:17:35 GMT
 Linda, this is cool!

Quote:
> On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:46:47 -0500, "Steve D. Perkins"

> his lap as he typed:

[snip]

> Fortunately many ISPs have gotten wise and have placed posting caps on
> duplicate messages, but spambots have found ways to circumvent that --
> by placing a random number after the subject line, by rotating the
> subject line from a list of subject lines, by placing random ASCII
> text at the end of each message, etc.

I have always wondered why spam had those extra characters at the end of the
subject lines and messages.  Thanks!  You've answered one of my 10 most
sought after questions!

FrankM

Thu, 07 Aug 2003 23:54:30 GMT
 Linda, this is cool!

[snip woes of spam]

Quote:

>there will always be dumb people

P.T.Barnum had this figured out quite some time ago :-)
--
Csaba Raduly, Software Developer (OS/2), Sophos Anti-Virus

US Support +1 888 SOPHOS 9      UK Support +44 1235 559933
You are in a maze of twisted little minds, all different.

Sat, 09 Aug 2003 02:25:01 GMT
 Linda, this is cool!

Quote:

> P.T.Barnum had this figured out quite some time ago :-)

"This way to the Egress".

[OT, so f'ups redirected]

Sat, 09 Aug 2003 02:51:12 GMT

1. Linda, this is cool!

2. Linda, this is cool!

3. Linda, this is cool!

4. Linda, this is cool!

5. Linda, this is cool!

6. Linda, this is cool!

7. Cool jobs going at a cool company....

8. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

9. Smalltalk work with Linda?

10. Question For Eliot & Linda

11. Linda