 Behold! The Square Wheel

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 11:09:17 GMT
 Behold! The Square Wheel

Quote:

    Patrick> Not sure whether to laugh or cry.
    Patrick> http://xplusplus.sourceforge.net/FAQ.htm

I wish they could claim the "world's first XML-based programming
language" title, but it's been done. Earlier versions of the
Openmarket (now "divine" with a lowercase d) Content Server product
used XML as a page template language before switching to
JSPs. Looked similar, too. <shudder/> :)

--
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the
subject."

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:24:24 GMT
 Behold! The Square Wheel

Quote:

>     Patrick> Not sure whether to laugh or cry.
>     Patrick> http://xplusplus.sourceforge.net/FAQ.htm

> I wish they could claim the "world's first XML-based programming
> language" title, but it's been done. Earlier versions of the
> Openmarket (now "divine" with a lowercase d) Content Server product
> used XML as a page template language before switching to
> JSPs. Looked similar, too. <shudder/> :)

Ah, what a clever idea: ``Reinventing the square wheel.''

; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:33:53 GMT
 Behold! The Square Wheel

Quote:

>    Patrick> Not sure whether to laugh or cry.
>    Patrick> http://xplusplus.sourceforge.net/FAQ.htm

>I wish they could claim the "world's first XML-based programming
>language" title, but it's been done.

Perhaps, but these are probably the first clowns who first made an
XML-syntaxed toy-language (praising the advantages using XML), then
decided that XML is completely unsuitable for actually writing
programs, and finally solved the problem by writing a preprocessor
from a C-like syntax into their XML syntax.

--
Juho Snellman

Sun, 01 May 2005 00:40:09 GMT
 Behold! The Square Wheel

Quote:

> Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

> http://xplusplus.sourceforge.net/FAQ.htm

The Evolution of Lanugage:

http://www.research.avayalabs.com/user/wadler/language.pdf

Thor

Sun, 01 May 2005 04:28:07 GMT
 Behold! The Square Wheel

Quote:

> Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

> http://xplusplus.sourceforge.net/FAQ.htm

The Evolution of Language:

http://www.research.avayalabs.com/user/wadler/language.pdf

Thor

Sun, 01 May 2005 04:29:53 GMT
 Behold! The Square Wheel

Quote:
"- class redefinition:  The ability to redefine classes at
    run-time and therefore to model the evolution of types.
    This is important for dynamic systems and also to model
    evolutionary systems.
  - object reclassification: The ability to alter the class
    that an object belongs to at run-time and therefore alter
    its behaviour.
  - self-modification of programs: The ability of a Superx++
    program to modify itself at run-time and thereby evolve.
  - simultaneous object access and manipulation: The ability to
    access or manipulate more than one object via a single
    invocation. This is broadcast messaging with a filtering
    criteria to limit the set of objects to which the message
    is broadcast.

  All these features and many others make Superx++ an unique
  and useful language."

The folly of the ignorant knows no bounds. Hahahahaha. That actually
made me laugh. :)

--
Thomas.

Sun, 01 May 2005 02:37:33 GMT
 Behold! The Square Wheel

Quote:

> Quote:
> "- class redefinition:  The ability to redefine classes at
>     run-time and therefore to model the evolution of types.
>     This is important for dynamic systems and also to model
>     evolutionary systems.
>   - object reclassification: The ability to alter the class
>     that an object belongs to at run-time and therefore alter
>     its behaviour.
>   - self-modification of programs: The ability of a Superx++
>     program to modify itself at run-time and thereby evolve.
>   - simultaneous object access and manipulation: The ability to
>     access or manipulate more than one object via a single
>     invocation. This is broadcast messaging with a filtering
>     criteria to limit the set of objects to which the message
>     is broadcast.

>   All these features and many others make Superx++ an unique
>   and useful language."

> The folly of the ignorant knows no bounds. Hahahahaha. That actually
> made me laugh. :)

Scornful laughter was my first reaction too.  But then, on reading the
enthusiastic blurb, the guy's apparent sincerity provoked ... laughter
of a different kind (tinged with absurdity, futility, some sympathy
and a hint of {*filter*}) ;-)

The author seems to be unaware that the (revolutionary!) wheel works
more smoothly without right angles -- but it's probably not his fault.
The recent history of computer science has been a comedy of errors;
he's merely supplied the punch line.

Seriously, has anybody ever presented a better case for going back to
the history books?

Sun, 01 May 2005 05:50:19 GMT
 Behold! The Square Wheel
* Patrick W
| Seriously, has anybody ever presented a better case for going back to the
| history books?

  What this stunt really tells me is that people who think XML is a great
  idea do so because they have never seen any other ideas.  I came to that
  conclusion many years ago when I tried to educate people on SGML, and
  people went "Whoa!  Hierarchical structure!  Dude, that's /really/ cool!"
  That experience was not unlike one I had when I attended a meeting on
  Norway's membership in the European Union, after I had read some 3000
  pages of documents and reports and had followed the legislation carefully
  for about a year: The speaker was intelligent and had probably done more
  homework than I had, but the audience?  My goodness.  The only reason
  they could believe what they believed was that they were overwhelmed by
  the first idea they ever met and objected to any later idea because it was
  different from the first and their mental capacity was limited to one idea
  at a time, meaning that /understanding/ their opponent's point of view
  without agreeing to it, which is the most fundamental requirement of a
  debate, was unachievable to them.  It was not made any better by the fact
  that they were completely unable to illuminate their position to someone
  who did not already hold it.  This applied to both sides of this ludicrous
  waste of time.  So I became instant hero for managing to make /one/ issue
  clear to both sides so they could at least argue about the same thing and
  people flocked around me to hear what other genius ideas I had.  It was
  downright /sickening/, not the least because these people would eventually
  /vote/ on the issue and our politicians had promised to listen to them...

--
Erik Naggum, Oslo, Norway

Sun, 01 May 2005 06:53:05 GMT
 Behold! The Square Wheel

Quote:

>     Patrick> Not sure whether to laugh or cry.
>     Patrick> http://xplusplus.sourceforge.net/FAQ.htm

> I wish they could claim the "world's first XML-based programming
> language" title, but it's been done. Earlier versions of the
> Openmarket (now "divine" with a lowercase d) Content Server product
> used XML as a page template language before switching to
> JSPs. Looked similar, too. <shudder/> :)

And let's not forget:   http://www.w3.org/TR/xexpr/

Sun, 01 May 2005 07:04:59 GMT
 Behold! The Square Wheel
* Kaz Kylheku
| And let's not forget:   http://www.w3.org/TR/xexpr/

  I think of these attempts as some overpaid bunch of incompetents who
  dread the day when they have outlived their usefulness and therefore get
  one unbright idea after another so they can avoid going back to work.
  The entire W3 production looks like the kind of ideas stupid people have
  during their lunch breaks.

--
Erik Naggum, Oslo, Norway

Sun, 01 May 2005 07:47:32 GMT
 Behold! The Square Wheel

Quote:

> And let's not forget:   http://www.w3.org/TR/xexpr/

This would make me change careers to something fun,
like accounting.  PHB designed language from hell, yuck.

marc

Sun, 01 May 2005 10:13:45 GMT

1. Suggestion: Different mouse wheel behavior

2. Another Reinvention of Wheel

3. Reinventing the Wheel

4. Wheel mouse functionality

5. Looking for a goodie supporting a wheel mouse

6. New Mouse Wheel Support

7. Right click on wheel mouse problem

8. Color wheel (?)

9. MS wheel mouse and VW 3

10. Problem with mouse wheel and popup under windows

11. support of mouse wheel

12. Intellimouse wheel does not scroll list boxes ?