 any suggestion for a good book in LISP?

Thanks!

Vince

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 13:13:51 GMT
 any suggestion for a good book in LISP?
On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:13:51 -0500, "Vincent Petrie"

Quote:

>Thanks!

>Vince

Ansi Common Lisp and On Lisp from Paul Graham
Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming, Peter Norvig

Those are very good introductions.

-----------------------
Fernando Rodriguez

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:09:32 GMT
 any suggestion for a good book in LISP?

Quote:

> Ansi Common Lisp and On Lisp from Paul Graham
> Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming, Peter Norvig
> Those are very good introductions.

If you're looking for something simpler to get you started before
you're willing to commit money or if the library doesn't have a copy
and you don't want to wait for them to order it, try some of the
online tutorials linked from the ALU web site:

http://www.lisp.org/table/learn.htm#tutor

I usually recommend Successful Lisp, as it focuses on practical,
simple lisp programming rather than some of the more specialized
topics in other tutorials. It also seems to use a coding style that is
similar to the one I like to use. :)

The same page links to a much larger list of print books, too, with a
variety of topics and skill levels.

--
-> -/                        - Rahul Jain -                        \- <-

-> -/ "Structure is nothing if it is all you got. Skeletons spook  \- <-
-> -\  people if [they] try to walk around on their own. I really  /- <-
-> -/  wonder why XML does not." -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp    \- <-
|--|--------|--------------|----|-------------|------|---------|-----|-|
   (c)1996-2002, All rights reserved. Disclaimer available upon request.

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:27:30 GMT
 any suggestion for a good book in LISP?

Quote:

> On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:13:51 -0500, "Vincent Petrie"

>>Thanks!

>>Vince

> Ansi Common Lisp and On Lisp from Paul Graham Paradigms of Artificial
> Intelligence Programming, Peter Norvig

> Those are very good introductions.

Hi-

        I disagree. Too hard for beginners (I should know, I'm one of them).
        Get the Succesful LISP on-line tutorial, it's very good, and it isn't
short. Another solid one is Touretzky's book. It will set the
foundations. You can download the postscript or PDF from the internet.
        Then, go to Paul Graham's Common LISP. It's a bit up the ladder,
compared to the other two, if you know what I mean (though not much).
It's faster-paced. I suspect next you would want to go to On Lisp, but
I'm not there yet.
        I have Peter Norvig's book on my desk, but I just drool on it :-)

        Regs
        Henry

Fri, 08 Oct 2004 09:15:17 GMT

1. Suggestions for good books

2. Suggestion for a good VHDL reference book

3. suggestion for a good book on vhdl

4. Suggestions for a newbie on good assembly book

5. Need Good Fortran-90 Book Suggestions

6. Suggestions on a good PD lisp for the IBM PC.

7. best book on LISP?

8. Best Lisp Book

9. good Lisp learning book?

10. Good Lisp book

11. Looking for some good Lisp Books

12. Good book for teaching Functional Programming & Lisp