turn gc messages cmucl
Author Message
 turn gc messages cmucl

How do turn off those garbage collection messages in cmucl.  It takes
10 minutes to create an array, because of the output of those things.

Here are the messages.
GC threshold exceeded with 2,000,784 bytes in use.  Commencing GC

i.e

(setf b (make-array '(500 500)

Berlin Brown

Mon, 02 May 2005 10:49:42 GMT
 turn gc messages cmucl
Hi bigbinc,

Quote:
> How do turn off those garbage collection messages in cmucl.  It takes
> 10 minutes to create an array, because of the output of those things.

> Here are the messages.
> GC threshold exceeded with 2,000,784 bytes in use.  Commencing GC

> i.e

> (setf b (make-array '(500 500)

It's a prominent FAQ question at the CMUCL website:
(setf ext:*gc-verbose* nil)

If it's taking 10 minutes to create an array it might help to compile the
code.

Regards,
Adam

Mon, 02 May 2005 10:54:12 GMT
 turn gc messages cmucl
try: (setf *gc-verbose* nil)

Mon, 02 May 2005 21:58:09 GMT
 turn gc messages cmucl

Quote:

> How do turn off those garbage collection messages in cmucl.  It takes
> 10 minutes to create an array, because of the output of those things.

> Here are the messages.
> GC threshold exceeded with 2,000,784 bytes in use.  Commencing GC

> i.e

> (setf b (make-array '(500 500)

It is one of the FAQ items.

        (setf ext:*gc-verbose* nil)

Note the "ext:", signifying that this is an implementation dependent
facility.

If your array is very large (unlike the example above) you can also
chage the amount of space that gets allocatate between gc's
E.g.
        (setf ext:*bytes-consed-between-gcs* 3000000)

Cheers

NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group        tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488
715 Broadway 10th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
New York, NY 10003, USA                 http://bioinformatics.cat.nyu.edu
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.

Mon, 02 May 2005 22:41:40 GMT
 turn gc messages cmucl

    bigbinc> How do turn off those garbage collection messages in cmucl.  It takes
    bigbinc> 10 minutes to create an array, because of the output of those things.

    bigbinc> Here are the messages.
    bigbinc> GC threshold exceeded with 2,000,784 bytes in use.  Commencing GC

    bigbinc> i.e

    bigbinc> (setf b (make-array '(500 500)

Well, you probably want to set *print-array* to NIL so your 500x500
array isn't printed out in full glory.

Ray

Tue, 03 May 2005 00:52:07 GMT

1. CMUCL GC (was: cautios question (about languages))

2. ALIEN objects and GC in CMUCL

3. C4b: How to turn off records not found message

4. early message gc(sorry)

5. on GC messages...

6. GC, and objects finalization (was: GC,again)

7. GC and Aging, GC and Allocator Surveys available

8. To GC or not to GC?

9. CMUCL compiler bug? (old lazy-list data not gc-ed)

10. Replace standard MESSAGE function in C4 with own message function

11. How to mapp clarion message to my message procedure

12. output color message (text) to a message box (string)