sampling Lisps, selecting an OS
Author Message
 sampling Lisps, selecting an OS

The group I work with has alot of time and money invested in several  "near"
realtime application written in muLisp for 16 bit DOS. Yes we are going to
have to do something in the near future.  We had a group of our key people
look over realtime OS's.  The group rated QNX for our realtime applications
well above other options.  Mulisp does not support QNX.  With this in mind ,
I have been involved with this news group to find the state of lisp today
and what  possiblities we might have to keep our investment in our current
code.

I did not see "I've got a problem at work" talked about in this news group
so I tried to beat-around-the-bush  not understanding the etiquette.  I
looked at ever web site posted to see if it might contain a possiblity.
Didn't seem to find one.  So I'll just ask your opinion.  If "work problems"
(those we get paid for doing) are out of bounds, some body email me and i'll
drop it.

If work problems are OK then...., I guess we are about to 1) write a near
realtime lisp for the QNX RTOS least you have a better idea  or 2) go to C.
I am sure you understand we would like to keep as much of our lisp
investment as possible.  One close possibilty was eclispe and C..anybody use
eclisp in unix (or esp QNX) or do they support unix, dang forgot.  I'll go
look again.

Just to mention (not sure this is OK either) if you have a good idea we
still have some consulting money left in the '98 budget.

Rusty
--

"l" in flash are reversed in the header.
Rusty Craine

Wed, 25 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 sampling Lisps, selecting an OS

Quote:

> Didn't seem to find one.  So I'll just ask your opinion.  If "work problems"
> (those we get paid for doing) are out of bounds, some body email me and i'll
> drop it.

Hey Rusty, don't be so defensive. Your question is very interesting
and I guess others benefit from it, too.

Quote:
> If work problems are OK then...., I guess we are about to 1) write a near
> realtime lisp for the QNX RTOS least you have a better idea  or 2) go to C.
> I am sure you understand we would like to keep as much of our lisp
> investment as possible.  One close possibilty was eclispe and C..anybody use
> eclisp in unix (or esp QNX) or do they support unix, dang forgot.  I'll go
> look again.

> Just to mention (not sure this is OK either)

Sure.

Quote:
>if you have a good idea we
> still have some consulting money left in the '98 budget.

> Rusty

I don't have any experience in this area - the following are just pointers:

- ScadaLisp
- Allegro CL
- L
- G2

http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig

Thu, 26 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 sampling Lisps, selecting an OS

Quote:

> The group I work with has alot of time and money invested in several  "near"
> realtime application written in muLisp for 16 bit DOS. Yes we are going to
> have to do something in the near future.  We had a group of our key people
> look over realtime OS's.  The group rated QNX for our realtime applications
> well above other options.  Mulisp does not support QNX.  With this in mind ,
> I have been involved with this news group to find the state of lisp today
> and what  possiblities we might have to keep our investment in our current
> code.

> I did not see "I've got a problem at work" talked about in this news group
> so I tried to beat-around-the-bush  not understanding the etiquette.  I
> looked at ever web site posted to see if it might contain a possiblity.
> Didn't seem to find one.  So I'll just ask your opinion.  If "work problems"
> (those we get paid for doing) are out of bounds, some body email me and i'll
> drop it.

> If work problems are OK then...., I guess we are about to 1) write a near
> realtime lisp for the QNX RTOS least you have a better idea  or 2) go to C.
> I am sure you understand we would like to keep as much of our lisp
> investment as possible.  One close possibilty was eclispe and C..anybody use
> eclisp in unix (or esp QNX) or do they support unix, dang forgot.  I'll go
> look again.

> Just to mention (not sure this is OK either) if you have a good idea we
> still have some consulting money left in the '98 budget.

Hi,

Harlequin has ported it's Common Lisps to real-time OSes. We even have a
real-time garbage collector. Come and talk to us about your requirements.

__Jason

Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 sampling Lisps, selecting an OS

>If work problems are OK then...., I guess we are about to 1) write a near
>realtime lisp for the QNX RTOS least you have a better idea  or 2) go to C.

Rusty,

There's a company in Toronto, called cogent (www.cogent.ca) that have
a realtime lisp running on  QNX that they use for their own work with
factory control etc.  Not sure if they sell it seperately.  They have
a related c-like language called slang that acts as as a wrapper for
the lisp.

Ian

Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Samples needed for Drawing, Selecting etc

2. Oberon OS/Genera Lisp OS connection?

3. OS/2 RxFtp sample REXX code, PLEASE...

4. OS/2 RXFTP SAMPLE REXX CO

5. Sample OS X project with BI distro

6. Changing Target (EXE) Name with OS Selected?

7. os.select misbehavior with pipe

8. Lisp Sample Applications

9. Compare Lisp To Perl - Sample Project: Anti-Spam Newsreader

10. Internet site for sample lisp source?

11. Measure Command Lisp selected start end defined - Please

12. Bug in LV6 AI sample channel, sample channels?