Please review proposed Common Lisp CORBA mapping...
Author Message
 Please review proposed Common Lisp CORBA mapping...

Franz (and, I believe, now Harlequin also) is proposing a mapping of
CORBA to Common Lisp.  The document
ftp://ftp.omg.org/pub/docs/orbos/98-10-16.pdf describes their
approach.

I have some problems with their approach, specifically with their
mapping of OMG IDL operations to Lisp functions.  We've been shipping
a CORBA for Common Lisp, called ILU, for the last four years, which
uses a mapping more like that described (and rejected) in the Franz
document in section 6.15.1.  As Franz notes, this ILU-ish mapping is
easy to describe and explain, it models the IDL semantics closely, it
is easy to implement, and it allows the use of standard CL macros such
as defmethod to define methods for the IDL operations.

I'd appreciate hearing views on this from other interested parties.

Bill
[ ILU info at ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/ilu.html ]

--

 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, 3333 Coyote Hill Rd, Palo Alto, CA  94304

Tue, 24 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please review proposed Common Lisp CORBA mapping...

Quote:

> Franz (and, I believe, now Harlequin also) is proposing a mapping of
> CORBA to Common Lisp.  The document
> ftp://ftp.omg.org/pub/docs/orbos/98-10-16.pdf describes their
> approach.

> I have some problems with their approach, specifically with their
> mapping of OMG IDL operations to Lisp functions.  We've been shipping
> a CORBA for Common Lisp, called ILU, for the last four years, which
> uses a mapping more like that described (and rejected)

Can you explain exactly what were the reasons for the rejections (by
the OMG I assume)

tel. +39 - (0)6 - 68 10 03 16, fax. +39 - (0)6 - 68 80 79 26
http://www.parades.rm.cnr.it

Wed, 25 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Please review proposed Common Lisp CORBA mapping...

   > Franz (and, I believe, now Harlequin also) is proposing a mapping of
   > CORBA to Common Lisp.  The document
   > ftp://ftp.omg.org/pub/docs/orbos/98-10-16.pdf describes their
   > approach.
   >
   > I have some problems with their approach, specifically with their
   > mapping of OMG IDL operations to Lisp functions.  We've been shipping
   > a CORBA for Common Lisp, called ILU, for the last four years, which
   > uses a mapping more like that described (and rejected)

   Can you explain exactly what were the reasons for the rejections (by
   the OMG I assume)

The reasons for Franz's rejection of the mapping are described in the referenced
document.

Bill
--

 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, 3333 Coyote Hill Rd, Palo Alto, CA  94304

Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. CORBA IDL to Lisp Language Mapping

2. CORBA IDL to Lisp Language Mapping

3. Announcing CLORB a Common Lisp implementation of CORBA

4. Common Lisp interface to CORBA

5. Common Lisp is a dpANS in Public Review

6. X3 announces second public review for Common Lisp

7. Common Lisp public review deadline approaching

8. Common Lisp is a dpANS in Public Review

9. Updated Macintosh Common Lisp review pointer

10. X3 announces second public review for Common Lisp

11. Common Lisp public review deadline approaching

12. Common Lisp is a dpANS in Public Review