SLISP
Author Message
 SLISP

Hi Lispers,

does somebody have information on a dialect of lisp called SLISP
(Standard LISP)? Is it comparable to CL?
Does anybody still use it?

I saw that there is a computer algebra system called sheep for slisp.
(ftp://euclid.maths.qmw.ac.uk/pub/sheep/ )
Anybody any experience?

groetjes,

Marc

email: marc dot hoffmann at users dot whh dot wau dot nl

Tue, 16 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 SLISP

Quote:

> does somebody have information on a dialect of lisp called SLISP
> (Standard LISP)? Is it comparable to CL?

Standard Lisp was (I think) an attempt to standardise a lisp on which
computer algebra systems can sit.  It's quite different than CL (much
less of it, probably dynamically scoped).  I suspect it is late 70s,
and somehow I thought it was done in Canada, but I'm really unsure
about that.

Quote:
> Does anybody still use it?

I think probably not really.  The first serious lisp I used was
Cambridge Lisp, with a standard lisp on top of it, in order to run
SHEEP.

Quote:
> I saw that there is a computer algebra system called sheep for slisp.
> (ftp://euclid.maths.qmw.ac.uk/pub/sheep/ )
> Anybody any experience?

Yes, I used SHEEP a good deal about 14 years ago.  It was (and I
suspect is still) very oriented towards calculations in General
Relativity, and specifically to the classification of exact solutions
to the field equations -- a non-trivial task and one well-suited to an
algebra system.  I don't think it's *really* a general-purpose system,
although it's not hopeless by any means.  When I used it there was
talk about gluing the REDUCE simplifier onto it which would have
resulted in a much more powerful system.

I wonder if anyone knows what SHEEP stands for?

--tim

Wed, 17 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Theres a DrScheme like Editor for sLisp?