DVF Help Files - PDF Not Readable with Acrobat
Author Message
 DVF Help Files - PDF Not Readable with Acrobat

Can somebody suggest what might be wrong with my DFV 6 installation?
I have reinstalled, tried everything. My adobe Acrobat 3.01 (NOT
READER!)
cannot find the DVF Help files from the apparently broken, mispelled
links provided by the DVF installer.

For example, when I try to read the "Getting Started" file, or the IMSL
help files, in the DVF "HELP" section, it cannot find them.  I now get
an activated Acrobat window, with no document (empty shell program).

I hate to say this, but I think Digital did it again - the links all say
- along
the right side - "PDF Form"  - and the IE reader says they are somehow
an "internet" file to be downloaded as filetype "..pdf from" which looks

suspiciously like a multiple goof on Digital's part.

I have the whole thing installed to disk, DVF cannot find any of these
files.
After spending time on phone with Adobe, we conclude that it is a faulty

link of some kind (and the ".pdf from" nonsense sure seems to support
that).
In any case, my Adobe Acrobat 3.01 is installed properly and has not a
bit of trouble reading .pdf files.

Any suggestions?

jrc

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DVF Help Files - PDF Not Readable with Acrobat
Quote:

> Can somebody suggest what might be wrong with my DFV 6 installation?

[...]

I can't, but try the following if you like:

Double click on dfmain.chm, click on Getting Started (PDF Format),
pick the first option (ie, open from current location) and click OK.
The Adobe reader component of Acrobat Exchange 3.01 displays DVF_GS.pdf.

I've noticed that sometimes when the download dialog doesn't appear
DVF_GS.pdf does, but instead of showing up in the Adobe window it
presents itself in the Microsoft HTMLHelp window with the Adobe toolbar
functionally available within the HTMLHelp interface, ensconced along
the top of the text pane. I'm curious to know how to do that but I guess
it's something only IE4 can do. When you close HTMLHelp, an empty Adobe
reader window appears out of the blue; presumably it's the wayward
window that should have shown DVF_GS.pdf had not the obdurate HTMLHelp
window beat it to it. Wierd.

Good Luck,
Gerry T.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DVF Help Files - PDF Not Readable with Acrobat

Quote:
>Can somebody suggest what might be wrong with my DFV 6 installation?
>I have reinstalled, tried everything. My adobe Acrobat 3.01 (NOT
>READER!)
>cannot find the DVF Help files from the apparently broken, mispelled
>links provided by the DVF installer.

>For example, when I try to read the "Getting Started" file, or the IMSL
>help files, in the DVF "HELP" section, it cannot find them.  I now get
>an activated Acrobat window, with no document (empty shell program).

You need the Adobe Acrobat ActiveX plugin, which you can download from
Adobe's site. This is needed to read PDF files from within an IE window,
which is what the HTML Help viewer is.  Adobe has posted a new 3.02 version
of the Acrobat Reader which includes the plugin - previously you had to get
it separately.  We did miss the need for this in the V6 release - we've
added a note about it in V6.0A and will also mention it on our web site.  We
apologize for the inconvenience.

Quote:
>I have the whole thing installed to disk, DVF cannot find any of these
>files.
>After spending time on phone with Adobe, we conclude that it is a faulty
>link of some kind (and the ".pdf from" nonsense sure seems to support
>that).

You could have saved time by asking us first.  As you know, you got an
answer from our support channel, when you did ask, very quickly.  The PDF
file is "embedded" in the HTML Help compressed file, which is why the viewer
says it is "downloading" it.  A bit strange looking, I admit.

DIGITAL fortran Development     http://www.digital.com/info/slionel.html
Compaq Computer Corporation
110 Spit Brook Road, ZKO2-3/N30
Nashua, NH 03062-2698           "Free advice is worth every cent"

DIGITAL Fortran web site: http://www.digital.com/fortran

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DVF Help Files - PDF Not Readable with Acrobat
OK - I have tried all suggestions, including those obtained from DVF by
phone, and those displayed on here by Mr. Lionel, and those suggested
by DVF email - most centering around the supposed fix by Adobe's
new "OCXINST.EXE" file, on the adobe website, which supposedly
fixes IE 4 so it can read the broken links in DVF 6 help.

Bottom line: After rebooting, reinstalling acrobat, rebooting, installing
the ocx from adobe, rebooting,

  IT STILL DOES NOT WORK.
 THE DVF LINKS ARE BROKEN.

I am done fooling with this. I wish Digital, Adobe, and Microsoft could
make software - after all this time - which WORKS AT ALL.

jrc

Quote:

> Can somebody suggest what might be wrong with my DFV 6 installation?
> I have reinstalled, tried everything. My adobe Acrobat 3.01 (NOT
> READER!)
> cannot find the DVF Help files from the apparently broken, mispelled
> links provided by the DVF installer.

> For example, when I try to read the "Getting Started" file, or the IMSL
> help files, in the DVF "HELP" section, it cannot find them.  I now get
> an activated Acrobat window, with no document (empty shell program).

> I hate to say this, but I think Digital did it again - the links all say
> - along
> the right side - "PDF Form"  - and the IE reader says they are somehow
> an "internet" file to be downloaded as filetype "..pdf from" which looks

> suspiciously like a multiple goof on Digital's part.

> I have the whole thing installed to disk, DVF cannot find any of these
> files.
> After spending time on phone with Adobe, we conclude that it is a faulty

> link of some kind (and the ".pdf from" nonsense sure seems to support
> that).
> In any case, my Adobe Acrobat 3.01 is installed properly and has not a
> bit of trouble reading .pdf files.

> Any suggestions?

> jrc

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DVF Help Files - PDF Not Readable with Acrobat

Quote:

> OK - I have tried all suggestions, including those obtained from DVF by
> phone, and those displayed on here by Mr. Lionel, and those suggested
> by DVF email - most centering around the supposed fix by Adobe's
> new "OCXINST.EXE" file, on the adobe website, which supposedly
> fixes IE 4 so it can read the broken links in DVF 6 help.

> Bottom line: After rebooting, reinstalling acrobat, rebooting, installing
> the ocx from adobe, rebooting,

>   IT STILL DOES NOT WORK.
>  THE DVF LINKS ARE BROKEN.

> I am done fooling with this. I wish Digital, Adobe, and Microsoft could
> make software - after all this time - which WORKS AT ALL.

> jrc

> > Can somebody suggest what might be wrong with my DFV 6 installation?
> > I have reinstalled, tried everything. My adobe Acrobat 3.01 (NOT
> > READER!)
> > cannot find the DVF Help files from the apparently broken, mispelled
> > links provided by the DVF installer.

> > For example, when I try to read the "Getting Started" file, or the IMSL
> > help files, in the DVF "HELP" section, it cannot find them.  I now get
> > an activated Acrobat window, with no document (empty shell program).

> > I hate to say this, but I think Digital did it again - the links all say
> > - along
> > the right side - "PDF Form"  - and the IE reader says they are somehow
> > an "internet" file to be downloaded as filetype "..pdf from" which looks

> > suspiciously like a multiple goof on Digital's part.

> > I have the whole thing installed to disk, DVF cannot find any of these
> > files.
> > After spending time on phone with Adobe, we conclude that it is a faulty

> > link of some kind (and the ".pdf from" nonsense sure seems to support
> > that).
> > In any case, my Adobe Acrobat 3.01 is installed properly and has not a
> > bit of trouble reading .pdf files.

> > Any suggestions?

> > jrc

My Acrobat reader is Acrord32.exe, it has a file version of 3, and the
splash screen reads 3.01. It came with my copy of Acrobat 3. This reader
displays the DVF_GS.pdf in VS and by dealing directly with the .chm as
I  described earlier. If you decompile the .chm (via the free html
authoring kit from MS) you'll recover DVF_GS.pdf and you'll be able to
read it as with any other pdf by double-clicking on it. As an added
bonus, you can now read the DVF help in Netscape instead of IE4.

--
Gerry T.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DVF Help Files - PDF Not Readable with Acrobat
This approach does not solve the problem. Before anyone jumps to
the conclusion that the documentation update for DVF has addressed
the difficulty and gotten resolution, let me assure you of the following:
1) I have completely uninstalled DVF, all Adobe products, and
    rebooted; then reinstalled each, rebooting after each.
2) Along the way, I completely deleted all folders holding DVF and
   Adobe program files.  Nothing was left, except perhaps in c:\tmp,
   which I overlooked.
3) I got the "update", ocxinst.exe, from Adobe's web site, and installed
   it in accordance with their instructions.

  Bottom line: The DVF "help" menu STILL will not link to any pdf
  files.

  In short, DVF has not addressed the problem completely, and the
  Adobe ocx reader or whatever it is, does not work in my Win98
  installation.

 But, what else is new?

jrc

Quote:

> >Can somebody suggest what might be wrong with my DFV 6 installation?
> >I have reinstalled, tried everything. My adobe Acrobat 3.01 (NOT
> >READER!)
> >cannot find the DVF Help files from the apparently broken, mispelled
> >links provided by the DVF installer.

> >For example, when I try to read the "Getting Started" file, or the IMSL
> >help files, in the DVF "HELP" section, it cannot find them.  I now get
> >an activated Acrobat window, with no document (empty shell program).

> You need the Adobe Acrobat ActiveX plugin, which you can download from
> Adobe's site. This is needed to read PDF files from within an IE window,
> which is what the HTML Help viewer is.  Adobe has posted a new 3.02 version
> of the Acrobat Reader which includes the plugin - previously you had to get
> it separately.  We did miss the need for this in the V6 release - we've
> added a note about it in V6.0A and will also mention it on our web site.  We
> apologize for the inconvenience.

> >I have the whole thing installed to disk, DVF cannot find any of these
> >files.
> >After spending time on phone with Adobe, we conclude that it is a faulty
> >link of some kind (and the ".pdf from" nonsense sure seems to support
> >that).

> You could have saved time by asking us first.  As you know, you got an
> answer from our support channel, when you did ask, very quickly.  The PDF
> file is "embedded" in the HTML Help compressed file, which is why the viewer
> says it is "downloading" it.  A bit strange looking, I admit.

> DIGITAL Fortran Development     http://www.digital.com/info/slionel.html
> Compaq Computer Corporation
> 110 Spit Brook Road, ZKO2-3/N30
> Nashua, NH 03062-2698           "Free advice is worth every cent"

> DIGITAL Fortran web site: http://www.digital.com/fortran

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DVF Help Files - PDF Not Readable with Acrobat

Quote:

>This approach does not solve the problem. Before anyone jumps to
>the conclusion that the documentation update for DVF has addressed
>the difficulty and gotten resolution, let me assure you of the following:
>1) I have completely uninstalled DVF, all Adobe products, and
>    rebooted; then reinstalled each, rebooting after each.
>2) Along the way, I completely deleted all folders holding DVF and
>   Adobe program files.  Nothing was left, except perhaps in c:\tmp,
>   which I overlooked.
>3) I got the "update", ocxinst.exe, from Adobe's web site, and installed
>   it in accordance with their instructions.

>  Bottom line: The DVF "help" menu STILL will not link to any pdf
>  files.

>  In short, DVF has not addressed the problem completely, and the
>  Adobe ocx reader or whatever it is, does not work in my Win98
>  installation.

I am sitting here at my Windows 98 system looking at the IMSL PDF document
through the HTML help viewer.  It DOES work if you have the Adobe reader and
ActiveX plugin properly installed.  It works with the reader version 3.0.1
and the separate plugin, as well as with 3.0.2 (which includes the plugin).
I don't know what has happened to your system to make it not work - all I
can think of is that something you did while trying to solve the problem on
your own left the registry in an inconsistent state.  Unfortunately, the
manner in which Windows manages the IE plugins doesn't lend itself to
straightforward troubleshooting.

to figure out what happened and get you going again.

DIGITAL Fortran Development    http://www.digital.com/info/slionel.html
Compaq Computer Corporation
110 Spit Brook Road, ZKO2-3/N30
Nashua, NH 03062-2698          "Free advice is worth every cent"

DIGITAL Fortran web site: http://www.digital.com/fortran

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DVF Help Files - PDF Not Readable with Acrobat

Quote:

> OK - I have tried all suggestions, including those obtained from DVF by
> phone, and those displayed on here by Mr. Lionel, and those suggested
> by DVF email - most centering around the supposed fix by Adobe's
> new "OCXINST.EXE" file, on the adobe website, which supposedly
> fixes IE 4 so it can read the broken links in DVF 6 help.

> Bottom line: After rebooting, reinstalling acrobat, rebooting, installing
> the ocx from adobe, rebooting,

>   IT STILL DOES NOT WORK.
>  THE DVF LINKS ARE BROKEN.

> I am done fooling with this. I wish Digital, Adobe, and Microsoft could
> make software - after all this time - which WORKS AT ALL.

> jrc

> > Can somebody suggest what might be wrong with my DFV 6 installation?
> > I have reinstalled, tried everything. My adobe Acrobat 3.01 (NOT
> > READER!)
> > cannot find the DVF Help files from the apparently broken, mispelled
> > links provided by the DVF installer.

> > For example, when I try to read the "Getting Started" file, or the IMSL
> > help files, in the DVF "HELP" section, it cannot find them.  I now get
> > an activated Acrobat window, with no document (empty shell program).

> > I hate to say this, but I think Digital did it again - the links all say
> > - along
> > the right side - "PDF Form"  - and the IE reader says they are somehow
> > an "internet" file to be downloaded as filetype "..pdf from" which looks

> > suspiciously like a multiple goof on Digital's part.

> > I have the whole thing installed to disk, DVF cannot find any of these
> > files.
> > After spending time on phone with Adobe, we conclude that it is a faulty

> > link of some kind (and the ".pdf from" nonsense sure seems to support
> > that).
> > In any case, my Adobe Acrobat 3.01 is installed properly and has not a
> > bit of trouble reading .pdf files.

> > Any suggestions?

> > jrc

Thank you for posting a description of this nightmare.

Why they would embed the pdf file in the Help html file I cannot
imagine. I shall certainly now not be tempted to upgrade to v6 of
DVF.
--
 Robert S. Lawrence
 204 Gold Run Road, Boulder, Colorado  80302-9710

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DVF Help Files - PDF Not Readable with Acrobat

Quote:
>Why they would embed the pdf file in the Help html file I cannot
>imagine. I shall certainly now not be tempted to upgrade to v6 of
>DVF.

Why?  Because it works and is convenient, allowing ready access to the
documentation from within the viewer.  All that is needed is that the
appropriate software be properly installed.  Unfortunately, Mr. Chaffer
seems to have created additional problems in his attempt to solve the
initial problem on his own.

DIGITAL Fortran Development     http://www.digital.com/info/slionel.html
Compaq Computer Corporation
110 Spit Brook Road, ZKO2-3/N30
Nashua, NH 03062-2698           "Free advice is worth every cent"

DIGITAL Fortran web site: http://www.digital.com/fortran

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Acrobat 3.0 PDF Version of Tcl/Tk 8.0 Quick Reference - refbase.pdf (1/1)

2. Acrobat 3.0 PDF Version of Tcl/Tk 8.0 Quick Reference - refbase.pdf (0/1)

3. Adobe Acrobat PDF with APL characters

4. Adobe Acrobat PDF

5. Propprint:device with Acrobat PDF writer

6. Acrobat PDF printing

7. DVF 6 "PDF" help files unreadable by DVF

8. Sping (was PIDDLE) not producing PDF file

9. How to search in a PDF help file? Re: How to use F1 to lauch my own help file(.pdf) in an application

10. How to use F1 to lauch my own help file(.pdf) in an application

11. HELP - Open a PDF file within an authentication script

12. Problem with DVF 6.0 help files