Help of Fortran 77 in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or XP.
Author Message
 Help of Fortran 77 in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or XP.

A program can be compiled in Visual fortran in all systems of Windows
98, 2000 and XP. But the compiled file can only be excuted. But in
later two systems, some runtime errors will come when the exe file is
excuted.
I don't know the reason.
How can I solve this trouble?

Thu, 03 Feb 2005 23:16:56 GMT
 Help of Fortran 77 in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or XP.

Quote:
>A program can be compiled in Visual Fortran in all systems of Windows
>98, 2000 and XP. But the compiled file can only be excuted. But in
>later two systems, some runtime errors will come when the exe file is
>excuted.
>I don't know the reason.
>How can I solve this trouble?

You have a bug in the program, probably overruning a dimension.  You
might have a wrong variable type in a subroutine call.

Those are the kinds of error that usually cause unpredictable
behavior.

Re-build your program, enabling *all* run-time checks.  Also check all
of the argument lists in subroutine and function calls.

Ken Plotkin

Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:03:39 GMT
 Help of Fortran 77 in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or XP.

Quote:

> >A program can be compiled in Visual Fortran in all systems of Windows
> >98, 2000 and XP. But the compiled file can only be excuted. But in
> >later two systems, some runtime errors will come when the exe file is
> >excuted.
> >I don't know the reason.
> >How can I solve this trouble?

> You have a bug in the program, probably overruning a dimension.  You
> might have a wrong variable type in a subroutine call.

> Those are the kinds of error that usually cause unpredictable
> behavior.

> Re-build your program, enabling *all* run-time checks.  Also check all
> of the argument lists in subroutine and function calls.

And, of course, if you're using any Windows services/APIs, make sure all
requested services/APIs are available in each dialect of WinXX....

Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:38:58 GMT
 Help of Fortran 77 in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or XP.
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 12:38:58 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Quote:

>And, of course, if you're using any Windows services/APIs, make sure all
>requested services/APIs are available in each dialect of WinXX....

Would Microsoft actually change those around from version to version?
Without telling everyone?

I am shocked - truly shocked. :-)

Fri, 04 Feb 2005 06:45:08 GMT
 Help of Fortran 77 in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or XP.

Quote:

> On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 12:38:58 -0500, Duane Bozarth

> >And, of course, if you're using any Windows services/APIs, make sure all
> >requested services/APIs are available in each dialect of WinXX....

> Would Microsoft actually change those around from version to version?
> Without telling everyone?

> I am shocked - truly shocked. :-)

Oh, my bad...sorry to have even hinted at such a thing... ;^>

Fri, 04 Feb 2005 08:01:02 GMT
 Help of Fortran 77 in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or XP.

Quote:

> >A program can be compiled in Visual Fortran in all systems of Windows
> >98, 2000 and XP. But the compiled file can only be excuted. But in
> >later two systems, some runtime errors will come when the exe file is
> >excuted.
> >I don't know the reason.
> >How can I solve this trouble?

> You have a bug in the program, probably overruning a dimension.  You
> might have a wrong variable type in a subroutine call.

> Those are the kinds of error that usually cause unpredictable
> behavior.

> Re-build your program, enabling *all* run-time checks.  Also check all
> of the argument lists in subroutine and function calls.

Thank you.
But can you tell me how to ENABLE *ALL* RUN-TIME CHECKS?

> Ken Plotkin

Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:05:43 GMT
 Help of Fortran 77 in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or XP.

Quote:

> > >A program can be compiled in Visual Fortran in all systems of Windows
> > >98, 2000 and XP. But the compiled file can only be excuted. But in
> > >later two systems, some runtime errors will come when the exe file is
> > >excuted.
> > >I don't know the reason.
> > >How can I solve this trouble?

> > You have a bug in the program, probably overruning a dimension.  You
> > might have a wrong variable type in a subroutine call.

> > Those are the kinds of error that usually cause unpredictable
> > behavior.

> > Re-build your program, enabling *all* run-time checks.  Also check all
> > of the argument lists in subroutine and function calls.

> Thank you.
> But can you tell me how to ENABLE *ALL* RUN-TIME CHECKS?

Well, first off, from the get-go it <might> have been useful to know
what kind of runtime errors you're seeing...

In CVF IDE go to project settings and under Fortran tab/runtime options
check all the boxes....Reading the help files for the IDE is a useful
practice, too...

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 00:02:31 GMT
 Help of Fortran 77 in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or XP.

Quote:
>Thank you.
>But can you tell me how to ENABLE *ALL* RUN-TIME CHECKS?

/check:all

I also highly recommend specifying /fpe:0

Ken Plotkin

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 10:00:45 GMT
 Help of Fortran 77 in Windows 98 and Windows 2000 or XP.

Quote:
>A program can be compiled in Visual Fortran in all systems of Windows
>98, 2000 and XP. But the compiled file can only be excuted. But in
>later two systems, some runtime errors will come when the exe file is
>excuted.
>I don't know the reason.
>How can I solve this trouble?

        If I recall correctly, the versions of Windows you mention treat
memory differently when loading a program -- some set uninitialised data
to zero, some leave whatever is already in memory in place.  Check that
you aren't using uninitialised data (or assuming it's zero) -- there's
probably a compiler switch to check for this.

--

Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:01:54 GMT

1. AdaGIDE 7.00 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 95,98,ME,NT,2000,XP)

2. Clarion 5 app, windows 98 and windows XP

3. Fortran 77 for MS Windows XP Home?

4. Installation and usage of free FORTRAN-77 compiler on Windows XP laptop

5. Moving from Windows 98 to Windows 2000

6. A custom built DLL crashes labview 5.1 in windows 2000 but worked fine in windows 98

7. is tcl programs running on windows 2000 professional and windows xp gives diff results

8. Digital/Compaq/HP Visual Fortran on Windows 2000/XP

9. was Re: 4.01Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

10. 4.01 - Graphics Problem with Windows 98 but not NT or 2000

11. Dragging Windows in XP, 2000

12. Mouse and WIndows 2000/XP