internal compiler error
Author Message
 internal compiler error

hello all!

i get at compilation the following error and I do not know what is wrong and
what I can do about it. I use CVF 6.5 on w2k. any help is warmly welcome.

bogdan

after Build clean:
"C:\Projects\file.f90
f90: Fatal: There has been an internal compiler error (C0000005).
Linking..."

if I try to compile again, i get:
"Linking...
.\Debug\file.obj : fatal error LNK1136: invalid or corrupt file
Error executing link.exe."

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:02:43 GMT
 internal compiler error

Quote:

> hello all!

> i get at compilation the following error and I do not know what is wrong and
> what I can do about it. I use CVF 6.5 on w2k. any help is warmly welcome.

> bogdan

> after Build clean:
> "C:\Projects\file.f90
> f90: Fatal: There has been an internal compiler error (C0000005).
> Linking..."

An internal compiler error is _always_ a perfect reason to call the vendor.

Happy programming
ulf

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:36:58 GMT
 internal compiler error

| hello all!
|
| i get at compilation the following error and I do not know what is wrong and
| what I can do about it. I use CVF 6.5 on w2k. any help is warmly welcome.
|
| bogdan
|
| after Build clean:
| "C:\Projects\file.f90
| f90: Fatal: There has been an internal compiler error (C0000005).
| Linking..."
|
| if I try to compile again, i get:
| "Linking...
| .\Debug\file.obj : fatal error LNK1136: invalid or corrupt file
| Error executing link.exe."

The following discussion should give you some clues:

Internal compiler Error

For CVF particularily, sometimes it helps to delete .opt
file from the root directory of the workspace and rebuild.

Jugoslav
________________________
www.geocities.com/jdujic

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:57:26 GMT
 internal compiler error

Quote:
> hello all!

> i get at compilation the following error and I do not know what is wrong
and
> what I can do about it. I use CVF 6.5 on w2k. any help is warmly welcome.

As Ulf says, "internal compiler error" means "contact the compiler vendor".
They're the only ones who can tell you, reliably, what to do about it.

I would suggest first, though, that you download and install the free 6.6
and 6.6A updates from our web site - 6.5 is now a year and a half old and
we've made many improvements in that time.  If it is still broken, send a
ZIP archive of your workspace, along with details of the problem, the

As for Jugoslav's suggestion of deleting the .OPT file - that is for
Developer Studio errors and not compiler errors.

--

Steve Lionel
Compaq fortran Engineering

Compaq Fortran - http://www.compaq.com/fortran
Intel Fortran - http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/f50/

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:00:01 GMT
 internal compiler error
Whoops, this is the real URL:

Jugoslav
________________________
www.geocities.com/jdujic

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:11:07 GMT
 internal compiler error
thank you all for the help. i kept trying to figure it out and i found the
error. i had in my program this line:
a =  dcmplx(0d0, value)
where "a" of type complex*16 and "value" of type complex*16, which is
obviously wrong. i corrected this by making "value" of real type and it
worked ok.
i was totally mislead by the compiler message and my program has many many
lines and since the line where the error was encountered was not indicated,
it was difficult to spot it. but, otherwise, the error is obvious (dcmplx
requires that if "value" is specified, it should be integer or real). also,
CVF help gave no hint that such a mistake could lead to internal compiler
error, nor the documentation for "fatal error LNK1136".
and, btw, i was using CVF 6.6 but i forgot I updated quite a while ago.
thank you all for the sugestions, i hope this will be of some use if anyone
gets the same message.

yours,
bodgan

Quote:

> > hello all!

> > i get at compilation the following error and I do not know what is wrong
> and
> > what I can do about it. I use CVF 6.5 on w2k. any help is warmly
welcome.

> As Ulf says, "internal compiler error" means "contact the compiler
vendor".
> They're the only ones who can tell you, reliably, what to do about it.

> I would suggest first, though, that you download and install the free 6.6
> and 6.6A updates from our web site - 6.5 is now a year and a half old and
> we've made many improvements in that time.  If it is still broken, send a
> ZIP archive of your workspace, along with details of the problem, the

> As for Jugoslav's suggestion of deleting the .OPT file - that is for
> Developer Studio errors and not compiler errors.

> --

> Steve Lionel
> Compaq Fortran Engineering
> Intel Corporation
> Nashua, NH

> Compaq Fortran - http://www.compaq.com/fortran
> Intel Fortran -

http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/f50/

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:45:34 GMT
 internal compiler error

| thank you all for the help. i kept trying to figure it out and i found the
| also,
| CVF help gave no hint that such a mistake could lead to internal compiler
| error, nor the documentation for "fatal error LNK1136".

If they had known it, they would have fixed it, rather than
documented it -- Internal Compiler Errors should never occur
(in a perfect world, of course). Correct behaviour is, of
course, an "Invalid arguments to intrinsic procedure" error;
although there is an error in the code, it's still a compiler
bug as well.

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:39:06 GMT
 internal compiler error

Quote:
> hello all!

> i get at compilation the following error and I do not know what is wrong
and
> what I can do about it. I use CVF 6.5 on w2k. any help is warmly welcome.

> bogdan

> after Build clean:
> "C:\Projects\file.f90
> f90: Fatal: There has been an internal compiler error (C0000005).
> Linking..."

While you're waiting for the support people to look at it, try compiling
with inter-procedural analysis (in-lining) turned off.  CVF has become
overly aggressive at attempting IPO, even with default options.

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:03:13 GMT
 internal compiler error

Quote:
> While you're waiting for the support people to look at it, try compiling
> with inter-procedural analysis (in-lining) turned off.  CVF has become
> overly aggressive at attempting IPO, even with default options.

You mean the programs it generates are wrong, or in what sense overly
aggressive?

        Jan

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 22:25:57 GMT
 internal compiler error

Quote:

>> While you're waiting for the support people to look at it, try compiling
>> with inter-procedural analysis (in-lining) turned off.  CVF has become
>> overly aggressive at attempting IPO, even with default options.

> You mean the programs it generates are wrong, or in what sense overly
> aggressive?

> Jan

I have seen both internal errors and incorrect results brought about by
overly aggressive attemps to compile with in-lining.  These are unlikely to
happen in large projects where individual .obj's are built separately, but
happen too frequently if several 1000's of lines of source are compiled in
a single command.  Many compilers have such difficulty, the difference
being that CVF is more aggressive about in-lining with the usual compiler
flags, where we are not necessarily aware that we asked for it.
--
Tim Prince

Sun, 08 Aug 2004 00:41:48 GMT
 internal compiler error
On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:45:34 +0100, "Radu Bogdan Mare"

Quote:

>thank you all for the help. i kept trying to figure it out and i found the
>error. i had in my program this line:
>a =  dcmplx(0d0, value)
>where "a" of type complex*16 and "value" of type complex*16, which is
>obviously wrong. i corrected this by making "value" of real type and it
>worked ok.
>i was totally mislead by the compiler message and my program has many many
>lines and since the line where the error was encountered was not indicated,
>it was difficult to spot it. but, otherwise, the error is obvious (dcmplx
>requires that if "value" is specified, it should be integer or real). also,
>CVF help gave no hint that such a mistake could lead to internal compiler
>error, nor the documentation for "fatal error LNK1136".
>and, btw, i was using CVF 6.6 but i forgot I updated quite a while ago.
>thank you all for the sugestions, i hope this will be of some use if anyone
>gets the same message.

program source that causes this error?  We would like to fix it, but
can't if we can't reproduce it.  Thanks.

Steve Lionel
Compaq Fortran Engineering
Intel Corporation
Nashua, NH

Compaq Fortran - http://www.compaq.com/fortran
Intel Fortran - http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/f50/

Tue, 10 Aug 2004 02:56:42 GMT
 internal compiler error
On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:41:48 -0800, Tim Prince

Quote:

>I have seen both internal errors and incorrect results brought about by
>overly aggressive attemps to compile with in-lining.  These are unlikely to
>happen in large projects where individual .obj's are built separately, but
>happen too frequently if several 1000's of lines of source are compiled in
>a single command.  Many compilers have such difficulty, the difference
>being that CVF is more aggressive about in-lining with the usual compiler
>flags, where we are not necessarily aware that we asked for it.

Tim,

If you have examples of CVF internal errors and incorrect results due
to inlining, we'd very much like to see them.  I can't recall such a
problem being reported in the last year or more...

Steve Lionel
Compaq Fortran Engineering
Intel Corporation
Nashua, NH

Compaq Fortran - http://www.compaq.com/fortran
Intel Fortran - http://developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers/f50/

Tue, 10 Aug 2004 02:58:10 GMT
 internal compiler error

Quote:
> I have seen both internal errors and incorrect results brought about by
> overly aggressive attemps to compile with in-lining.  These are unlikely to
> happen in large projects where individual .obj's are built separately, but
> happen too frequently if several 1000's of lines of source are compiled in
> a single command.

I've seen all (?) of SPEC CFP2000 compiled in one unit by CVF at at least
opt=4, with verified results. And most of these certainly are more than
several 1000's line of code.

        Jan

Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:02:39 GMT

1. Inline Assembly: INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR

2. Internal compiler error with g77 on linux

3. 1501-230 Internal compiler error

4. Internal Compiler Error (C0000005)-CVF 6.5

5. Sunsoft: Internal compiler error

6. Internal compiler error when both using and passing an intrinsic function

7. Internal compiler error

8. internal compiler error; AIX fortran

9. Internal compiler error in Digital Fortran 5.0D user.

10. Please HELP - compiler internal error

11. ifc: *Compiler Internal Error*

12. fatal error: internal error