Intel Visual Fortran
Author Message
 Intel Visual Fortran

Hi All:
I am a Compaq Visual fortran user. I am trying to set up a new
computers and looking for information on the state of the art on the
compilers.

Can someone write their recommendations for FORTRAN compilers for (i)
XP and (ii) Linux platforms?

Would you recommend Intel Visual FORTRAN for both XP and Linux?

The following two questions are a bit out of place. But some of the
members have experience. So I am seeking their experience and
recommendations.

The Linux servers will be mainly for the purpose of number crunching in
FORTRAN. Which of the Linux builds are better? I mean, RedHat vs. SUSE
vs Mandrake or anyother.

I have almost decided on HP XW9300 series workstation with two dual
core opteron processors with 4GB RAM. Can some share their experience,
if any, on this machine?

I appreciate your help. Thanks

-boliset

Sun, 12 Oct 2008 04:20:46 GMT
 Intel Visual Fortran

Quote:

>The following two questions are a bit out of place. But some of the
>members have experience. So I am seeking their experience and
>recommendations.

Well, you can get all kinds of recommendations, there isn't just one.
For example, the fastest benchmark scores on Linux Opterons are from
the PathScale (now QLogic) compilers. So you'll find people
recommending more than just the Intel compiler.

-- greg
(Disclaimer: I work for, but don't officially speak for, QLogic Corp.)

Sun, 12 Oct 2008 05:26:35 GMT
 Intel Visual Fortran

Quote:

> Hi All:
> I am a Compaq Visual FORTRAN user. I am trying to set up a new
> computers and looking for information on the state of the art on the
> compilers.

> Can someone write their recommendations for FORTRAN compilers for (i)
> XP and (ii) Linux platforms?

There are various criteria on which compilers can be compared. Which of
the following are important to you?
(1) price
(2) integrated development environment
(3) ability to create programs with graphical user interfaces
(4) support for Fortran 2003 features
(5) support for particular extensions of old Fortran compilers
(6) speed of executables
(7) availability of debugging options
(8) technical support

Fortran compilers are compared at http://www.polyhedron.com/pb05.html .

G95 is a good, free Fortran 95 compiler available on many platforms. It
is now the main compiler I use. The "technical support" is good but
unofficial -- the primary developer usually fixes reported problems
quickly, and there is a newsgroup gg95
http://groups.google.com/group/gg95 . You could also try gfortran -- it
works on some of my codes, fails on others.

It's good to test code with more than one compiler.

Sun, 12 Oct 2008 07:17:08 GMT
 Intel Visual Fortran
The detailed answers above provide good summaries of what to look for
in a fortran compiler.  If you're interested in being able to do
cross-platform fortran on Windows and Linux, the Intel compiler is a
good choice.  Other than platform-specific flags (mostly windows and
legacy-Compaq related), the compiler options are mostly the same across
both platforms, and it does a good job of generating fast code on AMD
chips as well.  I use Intel Fortran and g95 on both platforms.  I find
g95 is a lot better than gfortran, although I expect gfortran to
improve as the gcc 4.x compilers are used more frequently.

As for which Linux platform, base your decision on your requirements.
If you want something that just works, go for a
professionally-supported platform like Red Hat or Suse.  If you want to
tinker or save money, you can use what you like.  I run Gentoo on my
cluster, but Gentoo can be a lot of work until you understand it.  I
used to run Slackware on my cluster and it was great.

Hope this helps,

Damien

Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:50:16 GMT

1. Building DLLs with Compaq Visual Fortran and Intel Visual Fortran

2. using Intel Visual Fortran with Visual C++ 2005 Express

3. makefile from linux lahey fortran to intel visual fortran on windows

4. Intel Visual Fortran Professional Edition - Pricing and Upgrades

5. Intel Visual Fortran 9.0 MINLOC problem (sort of)

6. Intel Visual Fortran 9 released

7. My two cents on Intel Visual Fortran versus ...

8. intel visual fortran compiler hangs during installation

9. Look at this before considering to use Intel Visual FORTRAN

10. 64 bit Intel Visual Fortran?

11. Difference between Intel Visual Fortran and Compaq VF

12. Handling automation events in an Intel Visual Fortran Windows application