Problems with SUNWspro-Compiler
Author Message
 Problems with SUNWspro-Compiler

Hello together,

I am trying to compile a fortran Program with the SUNWspro - Compiler.
First I get a lot of warnings with the sheme

f90comp: warning: option -xy passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored
otherwise

the error I get is

f90comp: Fatal error in f90comp: Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

It's just a Hello World Program - I don't know which trouble with memory
there should be.

You have any suggestions - is there a chance to get information from the
core file ?

Thanks for your help in advance !

Klemens

Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:54:34 GMT
 Problems with SUNWspro-Compiler

Quote:

>Hello together,

>I am trying to compile a Fortran Program with the SUNWspro - Compiler.
>First I get a lot of warnings with the sheme

>f90comp: warning: option -xy passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored
>otherwise

That means that you are not invoking the compiler with the adequate
options syntax.
Post the command that you use, or check how the options should read.
The other errors may well stem from that.
Quote:
>the error I get is

>f90comp: Fatal error in f90comp: Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

>It's just a Hello World Program - I don't know which trouble with memory
>there should be.

>You have any suggestions - is there a chance to get information from the
>core file ?

>Thanks for your help in advance !

>Klemens

Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:30:58 GMT
 Problems with SUNWspro-Compiler

Quote:

> That means that you are not invoking the compiler with the adequate
> options syntax.
> Post the command that you use, or check how the options should read.
> The other errors may well stem from that.

I used the following commands

f90 test.f90
f90 -o test test.f90
f90 -free test.f90

What's missing ?

Klemens

Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:43:51 GMT
 Problems with SUNWspro-Compiler
Sounds like a majorly broken installation. In any case, no matter what options
it has been given, the compiler shouldn't die with an internal error.

        Jan

Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:23:10 GMT
 Problems with SUNWspro-Compiler

Quote:

>> That means that you are not invoking the compiler with the adequate
>> options syntax.
>> Post the command that you use, or check how the options should read.
>> The other errors may well stem from that.

>I used the following commands

>f90 test.f90
>f90 -o test test.f90
>f90 -free test.f90

>What's missing ?

If you get messages of the kind
f90comp: warning: option -xy passed to ld, if ld is invoked, ignored
otherwise
with those commands, then indeed your installation is broken.

For instance, another compiler might have been incorrectly uninstalled.

Michel

Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:54:04 GMT
 Problems with SUNWspro-Compiler

Quote:

> f90comp: Fatal error in f90comp: Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

This is the compiler crashing - not your program.  Either there
is a bug in the compiler or in its installation.  Compilers should
never crash, regardless of how bad your code might be or what
other mistakes you might make.

(I'm aware that in real life, it happens.  My point is not that it
doesn't happen - just that it is a compiler bug if it does.)

Quote:
> You have any suggestions - is there a chance to get information from
> the core file ?

No way.  That would be a core file of the compiler itself.  Unless
you happen to have the source code of the compiler handy....

Report it to Sun or to your sysadmin.  If it crashes like this on
a "hello world" type program, then my first suspicion would be
something wrong with the installation instead of with the compiler
per se.  But in either case, you aren't going to be able to get
help for that kind of problem here; nor are you likely to be
able to fix it yourself (unless perhaps you did the compiler
installation, in which case you might need to review that.)

email: my first.last at org.domain  |  experience comes from bad judgment.
org: nasa, domain: gov              |        -- Mark Twain

Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:11:18 GMT
 Problems with SUNWspro-Compiler

Quote:

> > That means that you are not invoking the compiler with the adequate
> > options syntax.
> > Post the command that you use, or check how the options should read.
> > The other errors may well stem from that.

> I used the following commands

> f90 test.f90
> f90 -o test test.f90
> f90 -free test.f90

> What's missing ?

> Klemens

The warning about options being passed to ld occurs when an option is not
recognized by the porgram.

I can't tell what you are doing.  Could you send a listing of the commands
as they are executed together with the error output.

BTW, you don't want to name the executable program "test".

                                                    Sincerely,
                                                    Bob Corbett

Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:40:51 GMT

1. Compiler error (or maybe compiler problem?!)

2. Changing Bind attribute-Compiler Problem

3. 32bit compiler problem - HELP!!

4. linking problems with Harbour Compiler

5. HELP: Compiler Problem....Serious...

6. Problems with Compiler and Linker Using Win95 with FAT32

7. Definable operators (was: Problems with Hardware, Languages, and Compilers)

8. Problems with Hardware, Languages, and Compilers

9. Problems with Hardware, Languages, and Compilers

10. Problems with Hardware, Languages, and Compilers

11. HINT: Compiler error-handling has problems

12. problem with PD macintosh compiler