ISO-Varying -tring
Author Message
 ISO-Varying -tring

Does anyone know what the status of the ISO-Varying-String is in any
Fotran standard?  According to the GNU Gfortran site it was proposed
in section 2 of the F95 standard, but I don't see any more about it.

Thanks.

Thu, 15 Sep 2011 06:51:55 GMT
 ISO-Varying -tring

Quote:

> Does anyone know what the status of the ISO-Varying-String is in any
> Fotran standard?  According to the GNU Gfortran site it was proposed
> in section 2 of the F95 standard, but I don't see any more about it.

It is part 2 of f95 (and f90). Note that it is a part  - not a section.
"Section" isn't an ISO term, but in informal use, it is a synonym for
"clause". If you try to look in clause 2 of part 1 of the standard, you
won't find anything about it. Section 2 is published separately.

Part 2 is optional. A vendor doesn't have to support it to claim
conformance with the base Fortran standard, which is part 1. Relatively
few vendors seem to do anything special to support part 2. In some
sense, any vendor can claim support of it because there are
implementations of part 2 in standard Fortran. Whether those
implementations are very good or not is another matter; some are better
than others.

Note that ISO_Varying_String is on the way "out". I don't recall whether
it was formally non-renewed last time it came up, but I'm sure there
were at least some notions in that direction. It has never been a wild
sucess in terms of widespread implemenation and use.

The allocatable string feature of f2003 provides most of the same kinds
of functionality in a much cleaner and better-integrated way. In fact,
I've noted before that allocatable strings wasn't even deliberately
developed as a feature. It was more of an observation that, after
allocatable was developed for other reasons, it was noticed that it
could handle strings very nicely - much more nicely than the previous
features designed for the purpose.

--
Richard Maine
email: last name at domain . net

Thu, 15 Sep 2011 07:28:38 GMT
 ISO-Varying -tring

Quote:

> > Does anyone know what the status of the ISO-Varying-String is in any
> > Fotran standard?  According to the GNU Gfortran site it was proposed
> > in section 2 of the F95 standard, but I don't see any more about it.

> It is part 2 of f95 (and f90). Note that it is a part  - not a section.
> "Section" isn't an ISO term, but in informal use, it is a synonym for
> "clause". If you try to look in clause 2 of part 1 of the standard, you
> won't find anything about it. Section 2 is published separately.

                                                ^^^^^^^

Umm. make that "Part 2 is published separately". I probably really
managed to confuse people with that mistake.

--
Richard Maine
email: last name at domain . net
domain: summer-triangle

Thu, 15 Sep 2011 07:30:19 GMT
 ISO-Varying -tring

Quote:

>>Does anyone know what the status of the ISO-Varying-String is in any
>>Fotran standard?  According to the GNU Gfortran site it was proposed
>>in section 2 of the F95 standard, but I don't see any more about it.

> It is part 2 of f95 (and f90). Note that it is a part  - not a section.
> "Section" isn't an ISO term, but in informal use, it is a synonym for
> "clause". If you try to look in clause 2 of part 1 of the standard, you
> won't find anything about it. Section 2 is published separately.

> Part 2 is optional. A vendor doesn't have to support it to claim
> conformance with the base Fortran standard, which is part 1. Relatively
> few vendors seem to do anything special to support part 2. In some
> sense, any vendor can claim support of it because there are
> implementations of part 2 in standard Fortran. Whether those
> implementations are very good or not is another matter; some are better
> than others.

> Note that ISO_Varying_String is on the way "out". I don't recall whether
> it was formally non-renewed last time it came up, but I'm sure there
> were at least some notions in that direction. It has never been a wild
> sucess in terms of widespread implemenation and use.

> The allocatable string feature of f2003 provides most of the same kinds
> of functionality in a much cleaner and better-integrated way. In fact,
> I've noted before that allocatable strings wasn't even deliberately
> developed as a feature. It was more of an observation that, after
> allocatable was developed for other reasons, it was noticed that it
> could handle strings very nicely - much more nicely than the previous
> features designed for the purpose.

I sure hope so...I look forward to one day being able to find out.

--

Gary Scott

Fortran Library:  http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the Original G95 Project:  http://www.g95.org
-OR-
Support the GNU GFortran Project:  http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/index.html

If you want to do the impossible, don't hire an expert because he knows
it can't be done.

-- Henry Ford

Thu, 15 Sep 2011 07:45:00 GMT

1. ISO Varying Strings not needed

2. iso varying string

3. ISO-Varying-String & FLIB -- Needs your recommenadations

4. Tring to compile to a DOS executable using Microsoft Cobol 5.0

5. hi i am tring to make some code that does this

6. Parsing and removing elemnts of a tring

7. ISO/IEC DIS 8652 and ISO/IEC DIS 14519-1

8. Your mileage may vary (APL execution efficiency)

9. average of rows of varying sized matrices

10. Varies lines of record conversation

11. Modifying String behavior (superclass varies type)

12. Vary Font in Paragraph