Help with FORMAT for reading tab delimited files
Author Message
 Help with FORMAT for reading tab delimited files

Hello,

I'm re-writing some Lahey F77 code using a Lahey F90 compiler while waiting
for the LF95 compiler I ordered last week to arrive.

I need to read in tab-delimited data files written by a 3rd-party piece of
data acquisition software.  The data file is populated with E format numbers
separated by tabs.  I can think of long, cumbersome ways of reading the data
in, but am hoping the newer fortrans have better I/O commands than I'm used
to.  Any help would be appreciated.

For what it's worth, my cumbersome idea is to open the tab-delimited file,
read in each line as characters and test for the tab character.  Write the
characters into a scratch file, padding with blanks to created fixed field
widths where I find tab characters.  Then, re-read the line from the scratch
file with an E format specification.  I really hope there's a simpler way!

Thank you,
Monica Walker

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Help with FORMAT for reading tab delimited files
On Wed, 26 May 1999 08:00:49 -0400, "Monica Walker"

Quote:

>Hello,

>I'm re-writing some Lahey F77 code using a Lahey F90 compiler while waiting
>for the LF95 compiler I ordered last week to arrive.

>I need to read in tab-delimited data files written by a 3rd-party piece of
>data acquisition software.  The data file is populated with E format numbers
>separated by tabs.  I can think of long, cumbersome ways of reading the data
>in, but am hoping the newer FORTRANs have better I/O commands than I'm used
>to.  Any help would be appreciated.

snip

        Try 'free format' read, i.e.,
        read(13,*)    i/o list
the use of * as a format  will usually read files of the type you
describe correctly.

Quote:
>Thank you,
>Monica Walker

Ralph Jay Frisbie
   a saucer lover,
       but not the inventor.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. How to convert tab delimited file to space delimited file

2. read tab delimited file

3. DEC VMS Fortran - read tab delimited file

4. READ and delimited format

5. Pluggin to open Tab delimited file

6. Tab Delimited Basic File

7. Exporting .tps to tab delimited text file

8. Importing a TAB delimited file.

9. append from a tab delimited file ?

10. problem importing TAB delimited file

11. Newbie: Append from tab delimited file?

12. appending tab delimited test files