JOB SURVEY: TO ENCOURAGE LEARNING FORTRAN
Author Message
 JOB SURVEY: TO ENCOURAGE LEARNING FORTRAN

Dear All,

To continue encouraging students to learn & to use fortran, I would like to
have your views about  the job market for Fortran Programmers in engineering
either part-time or full-time:

Kind of jobs:
Type of companies:
Approx  demand  level:

I understand the answers will vary according to location, nevertheless....

Thanks,
Vince

Tue, 17 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 JOB SURVEY: TO ENCOURAGE LEARNING FORTRAN

I am a consultant in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, and have extensive Fortran
skills.  I have been scanning the want ads for several years looking for
opportunities to offer my contract services.  The Sunday paper has about
20 pages of computer, engineering, pressional degree, etc type ads.  I
usually see one or two mentions of Fortran, and those are usually in the
Engineering sections by Aerospace companies.

I would have trouble recommending Fortran as a student's primary computer
language, but would urge it as a secondary, useful skill for their
tool-kit.

Tue, 17 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 JOB SURVEY: TO ENCOURAGE LEARNING FORTRAN

This should probably be a FAQ by now.  Fortran is, in general, not a
primary programming skill of professional programmers.  It is a language
that scientists and engineers use in order to access computers.  Looking
at Fortran proficiency by itself does not mean much.

Although most scientists and engineers are proficient in the use of
calculators, I suspect that a scan of want ads would suggest that
there is little demand for people with that skill.

Ken Plotkin

Sat, 21 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 JOB SURVEY: TO ENCOURAGE LEARNING FORTRAN

Regarding the job market for Fortran programmers:

I am a physics PhD candidate who has programmed extensively in
Fortran and is hoping to get a job as a 'quant' in the
financial derivatives business. Such analysts solve partial
differential equations similar to those found in physics and
engineering. In perusing job ads on the Bloomberg Web page, the ONLY
languages requested are C and C++. When I asked an executive
recruiter whether any financial companies still use Fortran, she
could only think of one, adding that "you wouldn't want to work
for a company that still uses Fortran", since such companies
were antiquated and not providing employees with transferable
skills, in her opinion.

I like Fortran, and I think C/C++ jingoists have embedded
stereotypes about the "primitive" Fortran language that no
amount of modernization, such as Fortran 90, will budge.

From what I have seen of the job market, educators should
emphasize C/C++. I am studying it on my own, but I wish
I had gained experience with the language through coursework
and/or research.

______________________________________
Vivek Rao

http://www-ceg.ceg.uiuc.edu/~vrao/
Univ. of Illinois, Physics Department
1110 W Green St / Urbana IL 61801
______________________________________

Sun, 22 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 JOB SURVEY: TO ENCOURAGE LEARNING FORTRAN

Here's another opinion. You'll probably call me an "old time Fortran
guy" at the end of this.

I work at an aerospace co. in So. Cal. We have many C, C++ and Fortran
compilers. What I have seen seems to indicate the obvious. If you need
to read in some data, crunch it and either print it or plot it and you
don't need control over the hardware, then just about any language you
are comfortable with is the best language for you to use. If yo are
developing a real windows program and it must be fast, then C or C++
seems to be the best choice. If you need to write a windows program
quickly, try Delphi or VB 4.0.

What should a REAL programmer learn, probably as many languages as you
can stuff in between your ears. I like FORTRAN best myself cause it
was my first language and I'v written several hundered thousand lines
of it in 20 years.

If you have a big Fortran program and you need to port it to Windows,
do you convert it to C or write an interface in Fortran or C/C++ or VB
or something else? Everyone will have a different answer and most will
be right for them.

There will always (relatively speaking) be a need for FORTRAN
programmers.

NOTE: I have heard that the most used programming language in the
world is COBOL. It is used to keep track of our money. Kind of
humbling is it?

                                        Jim Klein
                                        Fortran Programmer

Mon, 23 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 JOB SURVEY: TO ENCOURAGE LEARNING FORTRAN

Quote:

> Regarding the job market for Fortran programmers:

> I am a physics PhD candidate who has programmed extensively in
> Fortran and is hoping to get a job as a 'quant' in the
> financial derivatives business. Such analysts solve partial
> differential equations similar to those found in physics and
> engineering. In perusing job ads on the Bloomberg Web page, the ONLY
> languages requested are C and C++. When I asked an executive

... stuff deleted

I think that Fortran is a much more suitable first language
for people with pre{*filter*}ly numeric problems.

so i think that you've got a good start.

the problem with c++ certainly is that it is a large and complex
language and i'm having to make a far greater effort to get on top
of c++ than the other languages i've worked with and supported
to greater or lesser extents (Pascal, modula 2, snobol, icon
and currently looking at ada 95 and oberon)

they are fashionable at the moment, but if you look at
what has taken place with f90 and what is in the pipeline
i think you'll see a move back towards fortran.

there are developments in the parallel area and fortran
has a good head start over parallel c++. this kind of
box is getting cheaper, and will soon be a common desk top
option.

maybe a c++ conversion course at the end of your degree/PhD
would be something for you old department to consider?

ian chivers
computer centre
king's college london

Mon, 23 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. A Survey: What Language Did You Learn First?

2. VAST JOBS $ VAST JOBS $ VAST JOBS $ VAST JOBS $ VAST JOBS

3. MIT encourages all learners to use the materials for self-study

4. Jobs survey

5. Survey: Finding a job via the Web

6. Python job survey

7. [cce@clarkevans.com: Re: Python job survey]