 Patch-ID# 112762-07
 Date: Jan/07/2004

and I'm wondering if upgrading to Sun Studio 8 will fix the problem. If I get some
corroborating opinions I can make a case with my sysadmins to upgrade.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

cheers,

paulv

--
Paul van Delst

Wed, 19 Jul 2006 00:44:13 GMT
 Sun f90 compiler bug. Help.

Quote:
> Hi there,

> I get the following error when I compile some code on a Sun system (SunOS 5.9, ):

> f90  -c  -C  -fsimple=0  -ftrap=overflow,division,invalid  -g
> -M/home2/paulv/local/netcdf/include IRSSE_Model.f90
> Assertion failed: szl % szr == 0, file ../srcfw/FWAsg_Opr.c, line 848
> "IRSSE_Model.f90", Line = 1, Column = 1: INTERNAL: Interrupt: Abort

> It's apparently an internal compiler error -- and I know what people are thinking: contact
> the vendor.

Try compiling with the option "-Qoption f90comp -fephoenix".  Please let me
know if it makes a difference.

Quote:
> However, my sysadmins tell me that since we don't have a maintenance contract with Sun (we
> just buy the hard/software (?)) that there's no way to report the bug or find a patch.

Sun provides people without support contracts ways to report bugs.  First,
there are the fora at http://forum.sun.com.  Second, you can use the
comment box from the help menu in the IDE to send us e-mail.  People with
support contracts are likely to get faster responses by going through the
Sun solution centers, but we want to know about all bugs people encounter.

Quote:
> So I'm asking if anyone else has encountered a similar bug and managed to fix/patch it. I
> have visited the SunSoft website looking for patches (nice setup to allow people to see
> what patches are available, BTW) and am looking for guidance from any Sun-knowledgable
> folks - I saw bug reports for similar errors but not for this FWAsg_Opr.c file in
> particular. The latest available patch I saw was

>  Patch-ID# 112762-07
>  Date: Jan/07/2004

Anyone can download a patch.  Have you tried applying the latest patch?

Quote:
> and I'm wondering if upgrading to Sun Studio 8 will fix the problem. If I get some
> corroborating opinions I can make a case with my sysadmins to upgrade.

> Any information is greatly appreciated.

If you hurry, you can download the early access version of Sun Studio 8 from
Sun's wedbsite.  The early access version of Sun Studio 8 includes the
production versions of the Sun One Studio 8 compilers.  The compilers are
time bombed, so you can only use them for a few months, but that should give
you enough time to determine if the bug you found has been fixed.

                                                  Sincerely,
                                                  Bob Corbett

Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:26:15 GMT
 Sun f90 compiler bug. Help.

Quote:

> > Hi there,

> > I get the following error when I compile some code on a Sun system (SunOS 5.9, ):

> > f90  -c  -C  -fsimple=0  -ftrap=overflow,division,invalid  -g
> > -M/home2/paulv/local/netcdf/include IRSSE_Model.f90
> > Assertion failed: szl % szr == 0, file ../srcfw/FWAsg_Opr.c, line 848
> > "IRSSE_Model.f90", Line = 1, Column = 1: INTERNAL: Interrupt: Abort

> > It's apparently an internal compiler error -- and I know what people are thinking: contact
> > the vendor.

> Try compiling with the option "-Qoption f90comp -fephoenix".  Please let me
> know if it makes a difference.

Yes! It worked! But, I couldn't find any documentation on these options. Apart from "This
option is used primarily by customer service."

Is it worth asking what it is these extra options do?

Quote:
> > However, my sysadmins tell me that since we don't have a maintenance contract with Sun (we
> > just buy the hard/software (?)) that there's no way to report the bug or find a patch.

> Sun provides people without support contracts ways to report bugs.  First,
> there are the fora at http://forum.sun.com.  Second, you can use the
> comment box from the help menu in the IDE to send us e-mail.  People with
> support contracts are likely to get faster responses by going through the
> Sun solution centers, but we want to know about all bugs people encounter.

Bewdy, thanks. I'll bookmark this link.

[snip]

Quote:
> Anyone can download a patch.  Have you tried applying the latest patch?

The latest for Studio 7. I don't believe we have a license for Studio 8.

Quote:
> > and I'm wondering if upgrading to Sun Studio 8 will fix the problem. If I get some
> > corroborating opinions I can make a case with my sysadmins to upgrade.

> > Any information is greatly appreciated.

> If you hurry, you can download the early access version of Sun Studio 8 from
> Sun's wedbsite.  The early access version of Sun Studio 8 includes the
> production versions of the Sun One Studio 8 compilers.  The compilers are
> time bombed, so you can only use them for a few months, but that should give
> you enough time to determine if the bug you found has been fixed.

Well, it's not my machine so I don't want to start something I can't pay for. :o)

Thanks very much for the extra compiler options.

cheers,

paulv

--
Paul van Delst

Sat, 22 Jul 2006 00:50:30 GMT

1. another Sun f90 compiler bug?

2. Help on SUN F90 Compiler

3. Help: Sun f90 compiler Explicit parallelising.

4. Sun forte7 f90 bug

5. demo of Sun f90 bug writing to unit 0

6. was bug in Sun f90

7. Bug in Sun F90 ?

8. Sun f90 bugs?

9. Which F90 compiler on Sun Sparc

10. Sun F90 Compiler Optimization Flags

11. Sun Forte f90 compiler

12. correct behaviour of SUN f90 compiler/linker?