DEC-f90: Serious problems with generic names!!!
Author Message
 DEC-f90: Serious problems with generic names!!!

According to the book "fortran 90 Explained":

"...., a generic name may be the same as another accessible generic
 name. In such a case, all the procedures that have this generic
 name may be invoked through it. This capability is important....."

The DEC-f90 V1.2 compiler has serious problems in the module
procedure READB in module MB. He is not able to find the specific
routine READA from the generic name READ which is used in both modules.

(The NAG compiler has no problems with these modules.)

I could of course use specific names in my code, but I prefer to
declare the specific names as PRIVATE in order to not clutter up
the name space.

Will DEC-f90 V1.3 handle this problem???

Best Regards,
Jens Bloch Helmers.

MODULE ma
 TYPE a
   REAL x
 END TYPE a

 INTERFACE read
   MODULE PROCEDURE reada
 END INTERFACE

CONTAINS

 SUBROUTINE reada(v)
  TYPE(a), INTENT(out) :: v
  READ(*,*) v%x
 END SUBROUTINE reada

END MODULE ma

! --------------------

MODULE mb
 USE ma
 TYPE b
   TYPE(a) :: p, q
 END TYPE b

 INTERFACE read
   MODULE PROCEDURE readb
 END INTERFACE

CONTAINS

 SUBROUTINE readb(v)
  TYPE(b), INTENT(out) :: v
  CALL read(v%p)
  CALL read(v%q)
 END SUBROUTINE readb

END MODULE mb

! --------------------

PROGRAM test
USE mb
TYPE(b):: v
CALL READ(v)
PRINT*, v
END

Fri, 29 Aug 1997 04:32:55 GMT
 DEC-f90: Serious problems with generic names!!!

Quote:
 writes:

|>The DEC-f90 V1.2 compiler has serious problems in the module
|>procedure READB in module MB. He is not able to find the specific
|>routine READA from the generic name READ which is used in both modules.
|>
|>Will DEC-f90 V1.3 handle this problem???

V1.3 won't do anything different here.  We'll look into it, though I would
appreciate it if you would file a formal problem report through your
Digital software support contact.
--

DEC Fortran Development           WWW:  http://www.digital.com/info/slionel.html
Digital Equipment Corporation     CompuServe: 75263,3001

Fri, 29 Aug 1997 22:17:31 GMT

1. a linux F90 compatible with DEC f90?

2. Problems with arrays in DEC F90

3. problems with F90 generic procedures

4. Problem with DEC f90 and Automatic Arrays

5. Serious limitation of Pointer usage in F90/95

6. Another Compaq f90 bug? (generic interface, function arg)

7. generic interface with Digital f90

8. generic type for sub calls if f90

9. Generic pointer in f90 ?

10. dec f90 for oopen vms