f2c for the Mac?
Author Message
 f2c for the Mac?

Could someone please point me to a version
of f2c for the Macintosh? A version that
runs under Metrowerks C would be great,
but I'll take what I can get.

Mon, 02 Dec 1996 03:48:58 GMT
 f2c for the Mac?

Quote:

> Could someone please point me to a version
> of f2c for the Macintosh? A version that
> runs under Metrowerks C would be great,
> but I'll take what I can get.

Hi Robert,
I didn't see any direct replies to your question in the newsgroup.  There
are two ports of f2c for the Mac.  Both are available via ftp from the
Info-Mac archives at sumex-aim.stanford.edu, or one of it's mirrors, as
files

/info-mac/dev/f2c.hqx -- generates THINK C 5.02
/info-mac/dev/fortran-to-mac-translator-10.hqx -- generates unix C

The author of the second claims the first has problems, specifically:

"(1) it does not have a Macintosh interface, nor is it scriptable
 (2) it is very unstable"

Below is the announcement for the second port in a recent Info-Mac Digest.

Mike Craymer
Geodetic Survey of Canada

Info-Mac Digest             Mon, 20 Jun 94       Volume 12 : Issue 88

Date: Fri, 17 Jun 1994 15:24:20 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: [*] Mac F2C 1.0; a FORTRAN-to-C translator for the Macintosh

Mac F2C is a Macintosh port of F2C, the unix FORTRAN-to-C compiler
developed by AT&T.  The C code produced by Mac F2C is identical to that
produced by the unix version.  The C code may be ugly to look at, but it is
quite reliable.  The unix F2C has been used extensively within the
scientific community.  For example, it was used to create the C versions of
BLAS and LAPACK.

Mac F2C is not a substitute for a real FORTRAN compiler--at minimum, you
still need a C compiler to compile and run the translated FORTRAN code.
However, Mac F2C is a useful tool for people who have a C compiler and
cannot afford or cannot justify buying a FORTRAN compiler to run an
occasional FORTRAN program.  Mac F2C is also useful for translating some of
those old but incredibly useful FORTRAN subroutines so that you can use
them in C programs.

Mac F2C is a real Macintosh application with the following features:
   - Standard Macintosh interface
   - Pref file for translation options
   - Balloon help
   - Drag-drop translation of FORTRAN files
   - Scriptable

Mac F2C includes documentation (both mine and AT&T's), all necessary
supporting files, the source code for all supporting libraries, and
pre-built support libraries for THINK C v7.  Instructions are also provided
for building the support libraries using other development environments.
See the enclosed READ ME file for more information.

Mac F2C requires the following:
   (1) A 68020 or better
   (2) System 7.0 or better
   (3) At least 1 MB of available RAM (2 MB is preferred)

Mac F2C is distributed as FREEWARE.
Mac F2C is copyright AT&T, Bellcore, and I. Mikolic-Torreira

The author of Mac F2C is Igor Mikolic-Torreira and I can be reached at

email, so don't be suprised if I don't respond for several weeks at a
time--I promise to get back to you as soon as possible).

Mac F2C 1.0 is distributed as a Stuffit Deluxe self-extracting archive.

[Archived as /info-mac/dev/fortran-to-mac-translator-10.hqx; 561K]

Mon, 09 Dec 1996 03:16:35 GMT

1. f2c on the Mac?

2. Mac F2C: +E1 option switch?

3. Mac F2C with CW7

4. f2c for Mac

5. Where find f2c, and is there a f2c++?

6. iand, ior for f2c (was:iand for f2c?)

7. f2c and structures, commercial f2c

8. Product Announcement - APL.68000 Level II for Mac and Power Mac

9. Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO can you help

10. Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO needed

11. Mac Developers., with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant,Mac OS,OO experience help needed

12. Can a Mac Developer, with C++( or smalltalk), Power Plant, Mac OS,OO needed