executable errors?
Author Message
 executable errors?

hello, i've just compiled a load of F95 programs into a single program
but have suddenly got a whole new error message to worry about - the
program compiles alright but when i try to run it i get an error
message saying that the executable does not exist. I think this must be
something with my compiler which is Salford Plato3, but have no idea
how to get around it. Has anybody encountered this sort of problem
before?

Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:33:00 GMT
 executable errors?

Quote:

> hello, i've just compiled a load of F95 programs into a single program

This makes no sense. You can't do that. Do you perhaps mean that you are
compiling a load of files or procedures or some such? That could make
sense, but you cannot have multiple programs in a program.

Quote:
>  the
> program compiles alright but when i try to run it i get an error
> message saying that the executable does not exist.

You haven't given anywhere near enough information. *EXACTLY* what do
you type to compile the program. What are the messages you then get, if
any. Then *EXACTLY* what do you type to try to run it and exactly what
are the resulting erro rmessages? "Try to run it" does *NOT* count as an
exact description.

--
Richard Maine                    | Good judgement comes from experience;
domain: summertriangle           |  -- Mark Twain

Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:45:02 GMT
 executable errors?
ok sorry too vague. I have been working with three programs for my
research project and decided to put them together, for ease of use and
due to input/output formatting issues. To do this I simply re-wrote
each program as a subprogram and linked them up in a new program which
calls each one in turn, depending on the users direction. To run the
program from Plato 3 you simply need to hit the 'build', 'compile' and
'run' buttons in the toolbar. The 'build' and 'compile' are fine but
when I hit 'run' the error message pops up which reads exactly "ERROR:
The executable does not exist" and nothing else. I am pretty sure this
is not a syntax error as these are detected (and have to be corrected)
in the compile stage, before the program is run. Also I don't think
that it is a run-time error as these are not detected until after the
program has started running. What normally happens is that when you hit
the run button a new file (described as an Application in windows
explorer) is automatically created in the current folder which has the
same name as the .f95 - but in this case it does not. Presumably this
is the reason the program won't run - but I have no idea why the app
file is not created.

Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:05:44 GMT
 executable errors?

Quote:

> To run the
> program from Plato 3 you simply need to hit the 'build', 'compile' and
> 'run' buttons in the toolbar. The 'build' and 'compile' are fine but
> when I hit 'run' the error message pops up which reads exactly "ERROR:
> The executable does not exist" and nothing else.

I know zero about this Plato thing, so someone else will probably have
to help. I'm suspicious that this still isn't enough information, but I
don't even know what else to ask for. (I'm sure I could figure it out if
I were sitting in front of it, but it just isn't practical to go through
the same kind of things remotely... the first bit would involve me
figuring out what Plato is doing "underneath the covers.")

My gut-level suspicion is that the compilation or build are failing,
even if they don't show you any messages. A failure of compilation would
be a simple reason why there is no executable. Why you would see no
error message is harder to guess.

In my ignorance I can't even figure out what "build" would mean. I
understand compile and run. If "build" was after the compile step, I
might think it meant linking. Being before the compile step just
mystifies me. Maybe creating makefiles or their equivalent? I dunno.

Is there a chance that Plato is "confused" about however you merged all
this stuff. Maybe it still "remembers" old file/program names which no
longer exist? If so, it might help to start a completely fresh "project"
(or whatever Plato calls them) and import your source into it. That is a
very random guess on my part. Little more than flailing around. I don't
even know whether the relevant concepts exist in Plato.

--
Richard Maine                     | Good judgment comes from experience;
org: nasa, domain: gov            |       -- Mark Twain

Tue, 22 Jul 2008 00:09:55 GMT

1. executables--- Error 1107?

2. f2c error: Declaration error declaration among executables

3. Error in executable

4. error r6003 and blinker executable extended

5. Error When Running LabVIEW Executable - drawmgr.cpp, line 2931

6. I start to get error 37 when using COM1 from an executable which worked ok

7. Error 37 using serial port with an executable file

8. error running executable from main installation

9. Error 1026 How To Build the G Web Server Using CGI Into an Executable

10. TclApp generated executable returns error code 1

11. Compiling TK : configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables

12. configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables