help: VMS fortran77 to DOS-fortran
Author Message
 help: VMS fortran77 to DOS-fortran

I need to convert VMS fortran 77 programs to DOS. These programs use
real*8 declarations, large arrays (> 1Mb), vt220 screen control codes and
intrinsic functions.

I have the following questions:
1. Is there a compiler available for DOS, that can handle real*8 and large
   arrays.
2. What are the typical pitfals for conversion of VMS fortran 77 to DOS
   fortran?
3. Which compiler is most suitable for DOS?

Wilhelm Thieme

Mon, 26 May 1997 19:31:23 GMT
 help: VMS fortran77 to DOS-fortran
: I need to convert VMS fortran 77 programs to DOS. These programs use
: real*8 declarations, large arrays (> 1Mb), vt220 screen control codes and
: intrinsic functions.

: I have the following questions:
: 1. Is there a compiler available for DOS, that can handle real*8 and large
:    arrays.
: 2. What are the typical pitfals for conversion of VMS fortran 77 to DOS
:    fortran?
: 3. Which compiler is most suitable for DOS?

: Wilhelm Thieme

I have converted many VMS F77 programs to Mirosoft Fortran Version 5.0
without any serious problems.

Mon, 26 May 1997 23:13:18 GMT
 help: VMS fortran77 to DOS-fortran

Quote:
> I need to convert VMS fortran 77 programs to DOS. These programs use
> real*8 declarations, large arrays (> 1Mb), vt220 screen control codes and
> intrinsic functions.

> I have the following questions:
> 1. Is there a compiler available for DOS, that can handle real*8 and large
>    arrays.
> 2. What are the typical pitfals for conversion of VMS fortran 77 to DOS
>    fortran?
> 3. Which compiler is most suitable for DOS?

> Wilhelm Thieme

  Although MS Fortran 5.1 is fairly compatible with VMS FOrtran, your sizes
will probably blow it up. The alternatives are the MS Powerstation Fortran
which is a 32 bit Fortran running on a DOS extender (Phar Lap) and the WATCOM
F77 which also uses an extender but I don't think is as close to VMS Fortran.
The WATCOM is a better compiler bu[Bt the MS powerstation may support more Vax features.
There is also a Lahey 32 bit Fortran which promises VAX compatibility but I have never
used it.

 The main pitfalls are in intrinsic functions like gettime and exit that are no implemented on PC.
As well the record size for binary data is accessed by different default sizes. Vax I/O controls
are certainly not available on DOS (not provision in DOS for ISAM files at all).

--

                                                   what is the question?

Tue, 27 May 1997 06:31:55 GMT
 help: VMS fortran77 to DOS-fortran

Quote:

>: I need to convert VMS fortran 77 programs to DOS. These programs use
>: real*8 declarations, large arrays (> 1Mb), vt220 screen control codes and
>: intrinsic functions.

>I have converted many VMS F77 programs to Mirosoft Fortran Version 5.0
>without any serious problems.

I too have used MS's Fortran 5.0 with very few problems.
But - Check Memory Model and arrays larger than 64K in MS's manual "Advanced Topics", chaper 2.
Good luck, Kurt

Tue, 27 May 1997 18:34:34 GMT
 help: VMS fortran77 to DOS-fortran
Unless you're doing really odd stuff, you should not have to do more than
change OPEN and CLOSE statements and replace system-specific extensions
with their PC equivalents.

About VT 220 screen codes.  If you load ANSI.SYS (or one of the TSR
equivalents) then most of that should still work on the PC, with no
changes.  You might need to adjust your use of $, +, etc format
descriptors on the PC, depending on which compiler you use.

Ken Plotkin

Thu, 29 May 1997 11:07:25 GMT

1. VMS FORTRAN to FORTRAN77

2. help wanted in VMS fortran77 :dynamic memory and related issues

3. Max File Units in VMS Fortran77

4. help: MAC FORTRAN VS. MS FORTRAN DOS/WINDOWS

5. Need help linking Ada code to Fortran on VAX/VMS

6. VMS fortran Newbie requires HELP!

7. Help needed on old VMS Fortran 77 Program

8. Help converting VMS Fortran to C

9. Help with old VMS-Fortran

10. NEED HELP IN VAX/VMS FORTRAN SCREEN INTERFACE

11. VMS Fortran conversion - HELP

12. Help on locating a Lahey/VMS fortran specific book