Compaq Visual Fortran or Intel Fortran Compiler?
Author Message
 Compaq Visual Fortran or Intel Fortran Compiler?

Hey

As a C/C++ programmer (fortran newbie) I need to port a Fortran-77
(with extensions for namelist/IO, long variable names and include
files) source to MS Windows. The original source runs under VMS, with
differential compile support (cpp) for a number of Unix systems
(Solaris, Digital Unix, IRIX, UNICOS). Which is the fastest way Compaq
Visual Fortran or Intel Fortran Compiler for Windows or ...?

thanx,
Ivo

Mon, 15 May 2006 06:52:09 GMT
 Compaq Visual Fortran or Intel Fortran Compiler?

Quote:

> As a C/C++ programmer (Fortran newbie) I need to port a Fortran-77
> (with extensions for namelist/IO, long variable names and include
> files) source to MS Windows.

All of those extensions are standardized in f90 and are also
very common in f77 compilers.  They shouldn't cause much problems.

 The original source runs under VMS, with

Quote:
> differential compile support (cpp) for a number of Unix systems
> (Solaris, Digital Unix, IRIX, UNICOS). Which is the fastest way Compaq
> Visual Fortran or Intel Fortran Compiler for Windows or ...?

I would guess that if someone has gone to the trouble of documenting
that the code uses those extensions, you are probably in pretty good
shape.  My general observation is that where the author just
says "well of course this is standard Fortran", you are most likely
to find that the author actually has no idea what standard Fortran
actually is and that the code is full of nonstandard junk.  When
the author lists the ways in which the code is nonstandard, then
odds are at least decent that those are the only ways in which it is
nonstandard.

From your description, including the list of systems that the code
has run on before, I'd expect very little difficulty from any of
the current compiler offerings.  I hesitate to recommend which
might be the fastest one.  Since you mention VMS, I might note
the historical comonality between the VMS compiler and CVF, thus
possibly suggesting it.  But it isn't a very strong suggestion;
I doubt you will go majorly wrong with any current offering.
(Just don't try to scrounge up something like an old, unsupported
copy of Microsoft Powerstation or some such - that doesn't count
as a current offering).

email: my first.last at org.domain  |  experience comes from bad judgment.
org: nasa, domain: gov              |        -- Mark Twain

Mon, 15 May 2006 07:11:45 GMT

1. Building DLLs with Compaq Visual Fortran and Intel Visual Fortran

2. Creating - Fortran 77 dll for use in Visual Basic 6.0 (not using Compaq Visual Fortran)

3. Difference between Intel Visual Fortran and Compaq VF

4. Compaq visual fortran and Watcom fortran

5. Compiler error when link to the library created by Compaq Visual Fortran

6. Writing to mat (MATLAB) files using Compaq Visual Fortran compiler

7. Mixing Compaq Visual Fortran 6 with Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

8. Question on using Compaq Visual FORTRAN with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0

9. makefile from linux lahey fortran to intel visual fortran on windows

10. intel visual fortran compiler hangs during installation

11. Compaq Visual Fortran v6.6 Professional, Intel Fortran Compiler Pro With IMSL V8.0.048 - new !

12. using Intel Visual Fortran with Visual C++ 2005 Express