F90 Sun compilers [Was: Migration from F77]
Author Message
 F90 Sun compilers [Was: Migration from F77]

One reason why I'm reluctant to move to F90, although I especially like
matrix operations, structures, and dynamic allocation, is that I have
heard that the Sun F90 compiler "is not very good" (we use a mix of
Apple PowerMacs, Suns and SGIs).  I have no direct experience, so could
anybody please comment on it?  Thanks

Roberto

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 F90 Sun compilers [Was: Migration from F77]

Quote:
>One reason why I'm reluctant to move to F90, although I especially like
>matrix operations, structures, and dynamic allocation, is that I have
>heard that the Sun F90 compiler "is not very good" (we use a mix of
>Apple PowerMacs, Suns and SGIs).  I have no direct experience, so could
>anybody please comment on it?  Thanks

>Roberto

I think Sun fortran 95 is pretty good, but I am biased.  I know there
are bugs, but I don't know of any large program that is bug free.

Why don't you try it out and see if it is good enough for you?  If you
want to see the docs before downloading it, you can get them from
http://docs.sun.com.  You can download Forte(TM) Developer 6 Fortran 95
from http://www.sun.com/software/shop.  You will find instructions there
about how to get a free 30 day demo license.  If you want to keep using
it after the 30 days expire, you will need to get a paid license.  The
cost of a commercial license is about $1,500 for the cheapest version,
but educational licenses cost much less.

                                        Sincerely,
                                        Bob Corbett

Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:23:01 GMT
 F90 Sun compilers [Was: Migration from F77]

Quote:

> One reason why I'm reluctant to move to F90, although I especially like
> matrix operations, structures, and dynamic allocation, is that I have
> heard that the Sun F90 compiler "is not very good" (we use a mix of
> Apple PowerMacs, Suns and SGIs).  I have no direct experience, so could
> anybody please comment on it?  Thanks

There have been plenty of comments of various nature on Sun f90 here; I
don't think I'll add to them (particularly as I've not actually used the
latest version, so I'm not qualified to comment from first hand data).

But I will comment that this seems like a strange basis on which to
make a language decision.  Even if one were to assume that particular
compiler to be abysmal, (I don't know whether it is or not), it would
seem that this would suggest that one use a different compiler instead
of a different language.  There are lots of compiler choices available
for the Sun platform.

If the existance of a single poor compiler were reason to avoid a
language, I assure you that one can dig up several pretty horrible f77
compilers (or C, or just about any other language popular enough to
have had a large selection of compilers).  If the poor compiler were
the only choice for a pltform important to you, matters would be diferent,
but that is not the case for the Sun Solaris platform.

Indeed, there are at least some arguments for using a single vendor that
has both Sun and SGI versions if you are using those two platforms.  There
exist vendors that have versions on both those platforms.  I'm less sure
about the Mac stuff - that's not a world I inhabit.

--
Richard Maine

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. porting problem : from f90 (PC) to f77 (VP2200 and Sun SPARC)

2. Sun F90 mixing with F77: Common Blocks

3. Problems with mixing F90 and F77 object files (Sun Workshop 5.0)

4. I am looking for a Mac f77 compiler - for free of course :)

5. i am looking for f90 compiler

6. Which F90 compiler on Sun Sparc

7. Sun F90 Compiler Optimization Flags

8. Help on SUN F90 Compiler

9. Sun Forte f90 compiler

10. Array sizes on Sun f77 compiler

11. correct behaviour of SUN f90 compiler/linker?

12. Problem with Sun f90 2.0 Compiler, Workshop 5.0