DEVELOPING WINDOWS BASED SOFTWARE
Author Message
 DEVELOPING WINDOWS BASED SOFTWARE

Dear Colleagues,

I  wrote a program using Microsoft fortran Professional Development
System version 5.1 (source code written in Fortran 77)  some time ago.
I now wish to transform this program into a user-friendly software
package that runs in a Windows95 environment.  Basically, I want to be
able to generate graphics, have icons  for help menus etc.

I am hoping for some advice regarding how best to achieve this.  I
understand DIGITAL Visual Fortran release 6.0 has arrived; is that what
I should use?  If so, is there any place I can get this at a reduced
price?  I have visitied DIGITAL's web site but the software is too
dear.  Are there cheaper alternatives (I am a student and the software
would be used for academic purposes)?

Regards,

Riz

--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DEVELOPING WINDOWS BASED SOFTWARE

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DEVELOPING WINDOWS BASED SOFTWARE
Your MS Fortran 5.1 will target windows (16 bit only)
and can develop programs for Win95 so long as you
remove the APPLOADER MSLANGLOAD line
from the .DEF files. (That was a bug fix for a bug in
the Win3.0 loader, it is incompatible with Win95 and
later.  Removing the APPLOADER line instructs the
linker to NOT include the Win3.0 bug fix.  But all
the F5.1 docs tell you to put it in, 'cause Win3.0 was
the latest when F5.1 docs were written.)

However, you will do better with a newer compiler.

MS FPS4 appears periodically on eBay &c fairly

and apparently went unclaimed.

Also, as a student you qualify for academic pricing on DVF,
which is still hundreds of $$ but hundreds cheaper than
retail list.

Another possibility is Watcom Fortran (F77 only) which is
available for around $100 when academically priced.

I know that Lahey, Salford and other vendors also have
academic pricing options, but I don't know the details.
--
Kevin G. Rhoads, Ph.D. (Linearity is a convenient fiction.)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DEVELOPING WINDOWS BASED SOFTWARE

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DEVELOPING WINDOWS BASED SOFTWARE

Quote:
>I am hoping for some advice regarding how best to achieve this.  I
>understand DIGITAL Visual Fortran release 6.0 has arrived; is that what
>I should use?  If so, is there any place I can get this at a reduced
>price?  I have visitied DIGITAL's web site but the software is too
>dear.  Are there cheaper alternatives (I am a student and the software
>would be used for academic purposes)?

The Salford compilers are supplied with a library (ClearWin+) that is
able to generate full Windows interfaces.  More information about the
Salford compilers can be found at www.salford.co.uk.  Note that we
also have low cost editions for students at recognised educational
establishments.

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark Stevens                        Salford Software Ltd
Adelphi House,  Adelphi Street,  Salford,  M3  6EN,   UK

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DEVELOPING WINDOWS BASED SOFTWARE

Quote:

> Dear Colleagues,

> I  wrote a program using Microsoft Fortran Professional Development
> System version 5.1 (source code written in Fortran 77)  some time ago.
> I now wish to transform this program into a user-friendly software
> package that runs in a Windows95 environment.  Basically, I want to be
> able to generate graphics, have icons  for help menus etc.

> I am hoping for some advice regarding how best to achieve this.  I
> understand DIGITAL Visual Fortran release 6.0 has arrived; is that what
> I should use?  If so, is there any place I can get this at a reduced
> price?  I have visitied DIGITAL's web site but the software is too
> dear.  Are there cheaper alternatives (I am a student and the software
> would be used for academic purposes)?

> Regards,

> Riz

> --

The cheapest way:

Look for the tcl/tk-package for windows (http://www.scriptics.com) and
write in this language a GUI for fortran. This is nearly the only way to
get a code which is poratble over all platforms.

--
Dr.-Ing. Joerg Honerla              Bismarckst. 81
Gerhard-Mercator-University         D-47048 Duisburg, Germany

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 DEVELOPING WINDOWS BASED SOFTWARE
On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 10:27:44 +0100, Joerg Honerla

Quote:

>Look for the tcl/tk-package for windows (http://www.scriptics.com) and
>write in this language a GUI for fortran. This is nearly the only way to
>get a code which is poratble over all platforms.

You could also use third party libraries such as INTERACTER and Gino.
These offer multi-platform portability.

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark Stevens                        Salford Software Ltd
Adelphi House,  Adelphi Street,  Salford,  M3  6EN,   UK
Tel: +44 (0) 161 834 2454          Fax: +44 161 834 2148

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Buying a window-based fortran software

2. how to develop simple time based ramp driver for lab view VI

3. FW: [PHP Classes] MetaL - a XML based meta-programming language developed using PHP

4. Transition from Clipper DOS based to Windows based Programming language

5. (ANNOUNCE) New Commercial Software Product Developed Using Smalltalk

6. Developing Software for Palm Pilots

7. DragonForth (was: Developing Software for Palm Pilots)

8. Further develop my "What Means What Software

9. Developing Real-Time Software in Ada, presented by Jerry Casey

10. Developing Real-Time Software in Ada, presented by Jerry Casey

11. ANNOUNCE software for developing WIN95/NT apps in Fortran

12. an Invitation to be Involved in a Survey on Developing Scientific Computing Software