API suggestions invited
Author Message
 API suggestions invited

Hi

 I find that I have some spare time these days, so I am looking around for
another application to create a fortran 95 API for, along the lines of
gnuplotfortran ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ).

 Any suggestions ? I just want to know if certain extended capabilities are
sorely needed for Fortran by a lot of people around here. Needless to add,
the API, should I choose to work on it, and if I complete it, would be
released under LGPL.

Wed, 05 Sep 2007 03:44:37 GMT
 API suggestions invited

Quote:
> Hi

> I find that I have some spare time these days, so I am looking around for
> another application to create a Fortran 95 API for, along the lines of
> gnuplotfortran (http://gnuplotfortran.sourceforge.net).

> Any suggestions ? I just want to know if certain extended capabilities are
> sorely needed for Fortran by a lot of people around here. Needless to add,
> the API, should I choose to work on it, and if I complete it, would be
> released under LGPL.

Does gnuplotfortran work with gfortran or g95 ?

wxwidgets(was wxwindows) www.wxwidgets.org or  http://www.wxwindows.org/
opensource cross platform ui framework
 The wxWindows Licence is essentially the L-GPL (Library General Public
Licence), with an exception stating that derived works in binary form may be
distributed on the user's own terms.

Thu, 06 Sep 2007 22:25:54 GMT
 API suggestions invited

Quote:

>> Hi

>> I find that I have some spare time these days, so I am looking around for
>> another application to create a Fortran 95 API for, along the lines of
>> gnuplotfortran (http://gnuplotfortran.sourceforge.net).

>> Any suggestions ? I just want to know if certain extended capabilities
>> are sorely needed for Fortran by a lot of people around here. Needless to
>> add, the API, should I choose to work on it, and if I complete it, would
>> be released under LGPL.

> Does gnuplotfortran work with gfortran or g95 ?

It should (as long as gcc and the C library are available on your *nix like
system), though I have never tested it with these two compilers. If you
succeed in making it work with gfortran and / or g95, please let me know. I
will add the info along with the appropriate credits :)

Quote:

> wxwidgets(was wxwindows) www.wxwidgets.org or  http://www.wxwindows.org/
> opensource cross platform ui framework
>  The wxWindows Licence is essentially the L-GPL (Library General Public
> Licence), with an exception stating that derived works in binary form may
> be distributed on the user's own terms.

I have heard good things about wxwindows. Do you want me to work on a
Fortran 95 API for it (I know C APIs exist for this) ?

Fri, 07 Sep 2007 04:00:37 GMT
 API suggestions invited
Spare time?  Give me some! :)

I'd like to see better APIs for using NetCDF and HDF  in Fortran 90+.
Currently, HDF5 requires "numerous" calls to their libraries to achieve
some relatively simple (common) actions.   HDF4 is quite a bit easier
to use, so there's not a huge demand for it.   Matlab has some nice
user contributed APIs for NetCDF, I wish there were similar ones for
Fortran!

For example,  in Matlab with the "snctools" package:
  nc_getall(filename);
will open a netcdf file, read in the entire data structure, including
attributes.
Nice, no?  In Fortran this kind of thing requires about  2*(N+M) lines
of code for every N different "datasets"  and M different "attributes".
   Memory is easy to come by these days, so I prefer to read in the
entire dataset and then work with it.

-Ben

Sat, 08 Sep 2007 00:38:02 GMT
 API suggestions invited

Quote:
>The Array Visualizer library that ships with Intel Visual Fortran has a
>fairly simple Fortran API for read/writing HDF5, HDF4, and NetCDF files.
>Using it goes something like this:

>call avOpen("myfile.h5", .false., status)
>call avReadArray(LOC(myarray), "/dset1", status)

>John

>> Spare time?  Give me some! :)

>> I'd like to see better APIs for using NetCDF and HDF  in Fortran 90+.
>> Currently, HDF5 requires "numerous" calls to their libraries to achieve
>> some relatively simple (common) actions.   HDF4 is quite a bit easier
>> to use, so there's not a huge demand for it.   Matlab has some nice
>> user contributed APIs for NetCDF, I wish there were similar ones for
>> Fortran!

>> For example,  in Matlab with the "snctools" package:
>>   nc_getall(filename);
>> will open a netcdf file, read in the entire data structure, including
>> attributes.
>> Nice, no?  In Fortran this kind of thing requires about  2*(N+M) lines
>> of code for every N different "datasets"  and M different "attributes".
>>    Memory is easy to come by these days, so I prefer to read in the
>> entire dataset and then work with it.

>> -Ben

Blasphemy I know ... but in my opinion Fortran is not the
problem, the problem is NetCDF.
  For other data formats it's easy to kludge something
together that works; for NetCDF you pretty well have use
their software.

Chris

Sun, 09 Sep 2007 06:36:30 GMT
 API suggestions invited
The Array Visualizer library that ships with Intel Visual Fortran has a
fairly simple Fortran API for read/writing HDF5, HDF4, and NetCDF files.
Using it goes something like this:

call avOpen("myfile.h5", .false., status)
call avReadArray(LOC(myarray), "/dset1", status)

John

Quote:
> Spare time?  Give me some! :)

> I'd like to see better APIs for using NetCDF and HDF  in Fortran 90+.
> Currently, HDF5 requires "numerous" calls to their libraries to achieve
> some relatively simple (common) actions.   HDF4 is quite a bit easier
> to use, so there's not a huge demand for it.   Matlab has some nice
> user contributed APIs for NetCDF, I wish there were similar ones for
> Fortran!

> For example,  in Matlab with the "snctools" package:
>   nc_getall(filename);
> will open a netcdf file, read in the entire data structure, including
> attributes.
> Nice, no?  In Fortran this kind of thing requires about  2*(N+M) lines
> of code for every N different "datasets"  and M different "attributes".
>    Memory is easy to come by these days, so I prefer to read in the
> entire dataset and then work with it.

> -Ben

Sun, 09 Sep 2007 05:22:52 GMT
 API suggestions invited

Quote:

>>The Array Visualizer library that ships with Intel Visual Fortran has a
>>fairly simple Fortran API for read/writing HDF5, HDF4, and NetCDF files.
>>Using it goes something like this:

>>call avOpen("myfile.h5", .false., status)
>>call avReadArray(LOC(myarray), "/dset1", status)

>>John

>>>Spare time?  Give me some! :)

>>>I'd like to see better APIs for using NetCDF and HDF  in Fortran 90+.
>>>Currently, HDF5 requires "numerous" calls to their libraries to achieve
>>>some relatively simple (common) actions.   HDF4 is quite a bit easier
>>>to use, so there's not a huge demand for it.   Matlab has some nice
>>>user contributed APIs for NetCDF, I wish there were similar ones for
>>>Fortran!

>>>For example,  in Matlab with the "snctools" package:
>>>  nc_getall(filename);
>>>will open a netcdf file, read in the entire data structure, including
>>>attributes.
>>>Nice, no?  In Fortran this kind of thing requires about  2*(N+M) lines
>>>of code for every N different "datasets"  and M different "attributes".
>>>   Memory is easy to come by these days, so I prefer to read in the
>>>entire dataset and then work with it.

>>>-Ben

> Blasphemy I know ... but in my opinion Fortran is not the
> problem, the problem is NetCDF.
>   For other data formats it's easy to kludge something
> together that works; for NetCDF you pretty well have use
> their software.

Hmm. Interesting viewpoint. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you (apart from the
kludging bit... I despise kludges, having had to "fix" numerous ones over the years) but
given the relative flexibility provided by netCDF (and, I presume, the various HDF
flavours) I don't see how one can have a simple one-line interface (such as the OP
intimated) for these files in Fortran95.

I have a simple one-liner function call to read *any* netCDF file in IDL; but IDL, like
Matlab I believe, can build all the necessary data constructs (including how they are
named) on the fly. I don't see how you could do that portably in Fortran (not that that is
an indication it can't be done, I just have no idea.)

cheers,

paulv

--
Paul van Delst

Sun, 09 Sep 2007 22:41:15 GMT
 API suggestions invited

Quote:

>> Blasphemy I know ... but in my opinion Fortran is not the
>> problem, the problem is NetCDF.
>>   For other data formats it's easy to kludge something
>> together that works; for NetCDF you pretty well have use
>> their software.

>Hmm. Interesting viewpoint. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you (apart from the
>kludging bit... I despise kludges, having had to "fix" numerous ones over the years) but
>given the relative flexibility provided by netCDF (and, I presume, the various HDF
>flavours) I don't see how one can have a simple one-line interface (such as the OP
>intimated) for these files in Fortran95.

>I have a simple one-liner function call to read *any* netCDF file in IDL; but IDL, like
>Matlab I believe, can build all the necessary data constructs (including how they are
>named) on the fly. I don't see how you could do that portably in Fortran (not that that is
>an indication it can't be done, I just have no idea.)

>cheers,

>paulv

>--
>Paul van Delst

What I do in fortran is call ncdump via system call to unpack
the variables I want, then parse through the ascii files
from fortran. The fortran is specific to the data set ...
but since the amount of data in these sets tends to be humongous
it's worth the work (as long as they don't change the format
on me,that is)
Chris

Mon, 10 Sep 2007 05:49:40 GMT
 API suggestions invited

Quote:

>>>Blasphemy I know ... but in my opinion Fortran is not the
>>>problem, the problem is NetCDF.
>>>  For other data formats it's easy to kludge something
>>>together that works; for NetCDF you pretty well have use
>>>their software.

>>Hmm. Interesting viewpoint. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you (apart from the
>>kludging bit... I despise kludges, having had to "fix" numerous ones over the years) but
>>given the relative flexibility provided by netCDF (and, I presume, the various HDF
>>flavours) I don't see how one can have a simple one-line interface (such as the OP
>>intimated) for these files in Fortran95.

>>I have a simple one-liner function call to read *any* netCDF file in IDL; but IDL, like
>>Matlab I believe, can build all the necessary data constructs (including how they are
>>named) on the fly. I don't see how you could do that portably in Fortran (not that that is
>>an indication it can't be done, I just have no idea.)

>>cheers,

>>paulv

>>--
>>Paul van Delst

> What I do in fortran is call ncdump via system call to unpack
> the variables I want, then parse through the ascii files
> from fortran. The fortran is specific to the data set ...
> but since the amount of data in these sets tends to be humongous
> it's worth the work (as long as they don't change the format
> on me,that is)
> Chris

One way to a sort-of generic netCDF file reader in Fortran would be to store the data by
variable number along with an array of the (ordered) variable names to cross reference.
There is still the issue of dimensionality but one could always assume rank-7 arrays and
only allocate the dimensions as needed (all others default to 1).

A not so trivial task. And of limited use since the variable names must be available as
character strings.

But, I think it would be less work to write a dataset specific netCDF reader/writer in
f95. I have done it enough times that I can grab any particular netCDF I/O module I
currently have and quickly alter it for a different dataset/structure definition. I equate
"structure" with "dataset" in netCDF-speak so all I need to do in my calling source code is:

   USE MyStructure_Define
   USE MYStructure_netCDF_IO
   TYPE( MyStructure_type ) :: MyStructure
and
   Error_Status = Read_MyStructure_netCDF( ncfilename, MyStructure )
or
   Error_Status = Write_MyStructure_netCDF( ncfilename, MyStructure )

to read/write the structure data to file. It does the job nicely and portably, although my
use of the phrase "quickly alter" above does depend on the complexity of the dataset.

cheers,

paulv

--
Paul van Delst

Mon, 10 Sep 2007 06:27:13 GMT
 API suggestions invited

Quote:

>> wxwidgets(was wxwindows) www.wxwidgets.org or  http://www.wxwindows.org/
>> opensource cross platform ui framework
>>  The wxWindows Licence is essentially the L-GPL (Library General Public
>> Licence), with an exception stating that derived works in binary form may
>> be distributed on the user's own terms.

> I have heard good things about wxwindows. Do you want me to work on a
> Fortran 95 API for it (I know C APIs exist for this) ?

Having a fortran Api for a crossplatform gui library would be very handy

Having hdf / cdf api would be good as well.

Thank you

Alex Gibson

Sat, 08 Sep 2007 22:10:48 GMT

1. Inviting feature enhancement suggestions for gnuplotfortran

2. Inviting suggestions for TCL interpreter on Windows

3. 3D API suggestions

4. A suggestion for handling modifications in the core that change the script API

5. API Question: API Menues...

6. Serial Communication (API-calls) and possible error in CW API-Viewer

7. Abstracted GUI APIs (was: RANT: Ruby GUI API)

8. API calls missing from readline API

9. We invite you

10. invite em all....

11. Invite to discuss Documentation

12. ...Your Invited: "Grand Re-Opening"...