Ultimate language? (was: Re: A letter concerning whether to teach Fortran or C++ to freshmen)
Author Message
 Ultimate language? (was: Re: A letter concerning whether to teach Fortran or C++ to freshmen)

Quote:

>Ada was a language designed from scratch to be the
>language for all uses....I'm attacking the idea of "the ultimate language").

Ada was not designed to be a language for all uses, just an all-purpose
language good for what the DOD would need--high reliability,
low maintenance costs, embedded systems code.  I will not offer an opinion
over how well it actually meets these goals, but those were the goals
explicitly sought by the designers.  It is all-purpose in the same way that
Formula 49 is an all-purpose cleaner.  There is not one thing that it's best
for, just best if you want to do a lot different things with a single
product.

BTW, attacking the idea of an "ultimate language" is akin to a "motherhood"
statement in this day and age--it's pretty safe because everyone will agree
with you.  I haven't heard any "ultimate language" claims since PL/1. ;)

Sun, 24 Aug 1997 03:36:49 GMT

1. A letter concerning whether to teach Fortran or C++ to freshmen

2. Is C/C++ the dominant teaching language?

3. C++ as language to teach undergraduates?

4. X3D concern -- a copy of a letter I recently sent to some X3D members -- please comment

5. Good books for teaching FORTRAN as a first language

6. I am away, addresses for problems concerning APL94

7. What to teach in Fortran (was: teaching (not learning) C)

8. Translations from Scheme to C++ as aid to teaching C++ after Scheme

9. c++ calling fortran and fortran calling C++

10. Help building ultimate WWW Languages Guide